• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1/3 seat in the back

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Since I ussually carry my tools behind the driver seat and want as much extra packing room as I get get I decided to make my XJ a 3 seater. Nope, it's not another rear bucket seat project. It's a split bench project.

I started with a regular seat and trimmed it a bit. Then I have made a bracket/hinge and test fitted it inside.
Since all seems to fit, now all I need to do is get it upholstered.

Last edited:
I have thought of doing this so many times. After I saw it in my moms GC, the idea has been brewing in my head. Did you make the inside bracket from scatch or modified one? Nice work. Could you just use have the stock cloth and sew it up?

CartsXJ said:
I have thought of doing this so many times. After I saw it in my moms GC, the idea has been brewing in my head. Did you make the inside bracket from scatch or modified one? Nice work. Could you just use have the stock cloth and sew it up?

The inner bracket I made from scratch. It was fairly simple to do so:
1. take some angle iron
2. make an incision in one side to bend it in, to match the angle of the other bracket, weld it up
3. make an incision further down to bend out, fit a piece of steel in the opening and weld it up
4. drill a hole more or less in line with the other side
5. take a bolt, cut of the head, round it up fit one nut on one side, put it throug the hole in the floor and tigten it up from underneath
6. take big visegrips, grab the bolt from the inside and bend it down a hair (because of the shape of the tunnel the bolt points upwards too much but you can push the whole thing down).

Upholstery... yup, I'm hoping I could reuse the old piece to keep the cost down.

Looking good. To bad I can't give up seating area. Having three kids that like to go out as much as you do kinda hinders things.

no one rids in my backseat anymore---

the seat is right next to me in my dorm room...

Yucca-Man said:
What are you doing about the back of the seat?
Gonna keep it as it is for now. My primary motivation was to be able to stack things behind the driver and stick a center console thingy in the middle.

Down the road though things might change a bit and I'll split the back seat in two as well. Problem is though that there isn't really any good way to support it and because of the way XJ back seat is designed the back part can't stand by itself if it's split in half as it's supported across but.... I'm keeping my out in the junk yards for a ZJ/WJ with a split bench. IIRC ZJ would fit better but WJ still is doable with slight modifications.

you acctually think people are gonna ride with you:) c'mon remi you should know better:laugh3:

Remi - got a pic of the whole back seat area?

Oh - Happy Birthday too! party1: :party: party1:

jonboy said:
Remi - got a pic of the whole back seat area?

Oh - Happy Birthday too! party1: :party: party1:
No, that's all I got at the moment. I'll try to take one for you later. Do you want to see the whole area where the bench originaly was?

yeah...I'd like to have a split bench so I can haul more crap on long trips, like on the Dusy, but still sleep back there when I'm too lazy to put up a tent, which is most of the time

Back