• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Check Valve

Jeepguy03

NAXJA Forum User
So lately my 2000 has been taking a little longer to start after sitting over night. It usually takes two quick tries to start it, or one long crank. When sitting for only a short bit it will fire up quickly like always. Plugs are good, and the issue only happens after it has been sitting a while. I'm pretty sure it is the common fuel check valve issue on 97+. I know this check valve is located in the tank, but is it part of the fuel pump? I checked RockAuto.com for just the check valve and didn't have much luck.

Thanks!

Buy a Bosch. Never buy an Airtex.

Better advice has never been printed!!

There are two check valves. One on the regulator and one on the fuel pump. As your problem could be either and because you have to drop the tank, I always recommend replacing the entire ASSEMBLY.

Better advice has never been printed!!

There are two check valves. One on the regulator and one on the fuel pump. As your problem could be either and because you have to drop the tank, I always recommend replacing the entire ASSEMBLY.

Wait so both check valves are in the tank? Or is there one on the fuel rail? Definitely buying a Bosch, thanks Tim!

Both check valves are INSIDE the tank and are part of the fuel pump "assembly". One check valve (primary) is on the regulator and the other is on the fuel pump itself.

And, please, do not add an external check valve. I was tempted a few years ago, and it was explained that from '96 on, there's no regulator or return on the rail, just a supply. Park with a hot engine, and the gas in the rail wants to expand, and the new check valve won't let it back into the tank. Not good!. I ran a can of BG44k through the tank, and maybe I'm dreaming, but it behaves fine again! And I can run 87 octane gas again, without the ping I was getting. No, I'm not a salesman for BG, but I always keep some on hand, and my JEEP and Subie OBW don't ping anymore!

One check valve is inside the pump, inside tank. The other is on top of the pump, outside of the tank.

The one outside the tank sits atop the pump assembly. It's actually a filter, pressure regulator and check valve all in one.
fuel-filter-4798301_3272.jpg

You still have to drop the tank. But there is a simple strap that you pop off, then pry the FPR out. There is an o-ring that seals it also. A new o-ring should come with the FPR.

I bought mine from Morris 4X4 two years ago and have no problems with it.

All that being said, there are tests to be done to determine if it is the check valve or a leaky injector.

Back