• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DO NOT POST FSMs ON THIS FORUM

Status
Not open for further replies.
people will sue any entity no matter what the intended purpose is, and even if they don't win, it's the wasting of resources dealing with said bullsh!t.

so if you wan an FSM click here

Was watching a show on junkyards the other nite. One was an aircraft boneyard that stopped selling to the industry because of lawsuits. The owner said he had sold a freakin radio and that radio was in a plane that crashed, even though he and the radio had nothing to do with it they were still named in the suit. While he said they won/beat them all it was a waste of resources, lawyers and money.
There are people out there that HUNT for things to sue for and lawyers that if they don't encourage it don't discourage it either...

dmillion said:
Considering that the punishment for willful copyright violation is up to $150,000 per incident plus all court costs and legal fees, no, the word paranoid doesn't come to mind at all. The word prudent, however, does.
casm said:
I have to say... Trndrvr has got a point here.

NAXJA doesn't control the content of external links, so if someone else wants to risk hosting an FSM on their personal (read: non-NAXJA / sb-host) webspace it's their business whether or not they want to potentially face prosecution for violating copyright laws. It's the difference between "you can buy bootleg DVDs in downtown L.A." and "I'm selling bootleg DVDs".
"Willful copyright violation"? I'll still use the word 'paranoid'.

TRNDRVR said:
Forgive me but, does the word paranoid come to mind?
Officers and Directors of companies and organizations are there to be a little paranoid. It comes with the responsibility of being responsible for the organization. A lot of people don't want that kind of responsibility, so it's rather unfair to gang up on one of the people who is willing to step up to the plate.

Paranoid or not, DaimlerChrysler has teams of lawyers, and when it comes to protecting their trademarks and copyrights they have a reputation of being worse than junkyard dogs. Why should NAXJA take the chance? Don't forget, if a problem should arise out of this kind of activity, it wouldn't matter if we ultimately won in court (as unlikely as that might be). By the time we got through the initial discovery phase NAXJA would be broke and out of existence.

Okie Terry stated the policy. Why can't we just suck it up and play according to the rules?

RichP said:
Was watching a show on junkyards the other nite. One was an aircraft boneyard that stopped selling to the industry because of lawsuits. The owner said he had sold a freakin radio and that radio was in a plane that crashed, even though he and the radio had nothing to do with it they were still named in the suit. While he said they won/beat them all it was a waste of resources, lawyers and money.
There are people out there that HUNT for things to sue for and lawyers that if they don't encourage it don't discourage it either...
Now that you mention it, here's a classic example of just how far out of hand this can get:

Some years ago I worked for an architecture and engineering firm that specialized in building repair and restoration. One of our corporate clients was a large insurance company that owned a shopping mall on Long Island (NY, to you westerners). A roofing company was hired, directly by the mall, to repair a small leak. Worker was using a "torch-down" repair product, and he got careless and set the roof on fire. Fire department was called. Volunter department, one of the guys showed up half drunk, slipped off a ladder and hurt his back.

My company was hired ... AFTER THE FIRE ... to design repairs to replace the damged roof.

Several months later we got a notice that we were named as defendents in the drunken fireman's lawsuit. His (attorney's) circuitous claim was that our design was defective and therefore the roof caught on fire and if we hadn't specified a product requiring an open flame for installation his client wouldn't have been at the scene and therefore wouldn't have fallen off the ladder ... yada, yada.

Now .. it's bad enough that this clown's attorney dragged us into the suit even though we were not hired until after the fact. But that's standard ... sue anybody who even MIGHT be peripherally involved if they even MIGHT have some insurance you can grab. No, the really sorry part is that our insurance company wanted us to SETTLE THE CLAIM rather fight it. Their view was it would be cheaper ... for them. Of course, for us it would have meant that our premiums skyrocketed for several years because of a claim. My company actually had to sue our own insurance company to force them to defend us against an obviously spurious claim.

Does that give y'all just an inkling of why it would be better to just not even open the door to potential legal problems if at all possible? It may be paranoid, but we live in a crazy world.

Remember ... just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not watching.

Eagle said:
Officers and Directors of companies and organizations are there to be a little paranoid. It comes with the responsibility of being responsible for the organization.

cool...I should fit right in. :D

Eagle said:
Okie Terry stated the policy. Why can't we just suck it up and play according to the rules?

good point. :wave: if you cant afford one.....rob your kids piggybank. Works for me.

Eagle said:

Seems to me we went thru this a while ago. I happen to agree with this policy, due only to the persistance of DC legal staff. Remember everyone...Okie did not pull this out of his ass, if he mentioned it you can be assured that it IS an issue, its not his rule, it is a BOD position, and I think a responsable one.

Don't agree....run for the BOD and hang your cheese in the wind.

Props to Terry

Rev

Eagle said:
Officers and Directors of companies and organizations are there to be a little paranoid. It comes with the responsibility of being responsible for the organization. A lot of people don't want that kind of responsibility, so it's rather unfair to gang up on one of the people who is willing to step up to the plate.

Paranoid or not, DaimlerChrysler has teams of lawyers, and when it comes to protecting their trademarks and copyrights they have a reputation of being worse than junkyard dogs. Why should NAXJA take the chance? Don't forget, if a problem should arise out of this kind of activity, it wouldn't matter if we ultimately won in court (as unlikely as that might be). By the time we got through the initial discovery phase NAXJA would be broke and out of existence.

casm said:
NAXJA doesn't control the content of external links.......
Yep, paranoid!!!

Like I said earlier, if this is the case, not a single link already posted is valid, therefore we're already opened up for frivolous litigation and they all should be deleted. I make the motion that all links presently, and in the future should be deleted so as to not subject ourselves to the penalty of the law.....Not a great idea, but I guess it’s what’s needed. Who's going to volunteer?

DC just needs to drop the crap and get back to building a REAL rig instead of grocery getters.

There DC guys. I said it. GET TO WORK. IFS bites !!

TRNDRVR said:
casm said:
NAXJA doesn't control the content of external links.......
Yep, paranoid!!!

Whoa... Hold on a sec, there. I still stand by what I said, but I never meant for that to imply that we would be free of potential responsibility. I agree with your basic stance, but there are subtleties in this that could potentially be problematic for us. Consider for a moment that we're discussing this in an open forum where anyone - DCX legal included - can read it. If someone posts an FSM link and they decide to be difficult about it, we can't exactly feign knowledge of the potential legal ramifications - and that's based on this thread alone.

Besides, we could always do a Fahreheit 451 and have each of us memorize different parts of the FSM so that it's always there from memory. "My name is the Chrysler Corporation Factory Service Manual for a 2000 Jeep Cherokee, section 8-E..."

Not a chance of using "plausible deniability" to defend ourselves. We (speaking as a club member) know that a: we can't distribute copies of the FSM and b: we can't point folks to where they can violate copyright as that's aiding and abetting.

In short, it has to be policed. I don't think that we need to drop ALL links to sites that host illegal copies, but we certainly do need to drop links that are directly aimed at copyright violations.

NAXJA's founders and BoD spent quite a lot of time thinking and figuring out how to stay off of D/C's radar screen. Pretty smart and shrewd IMHO.

I hereby nominate TRNDRVR as appointed legal counsel to litigate any and all lawsuits that may be directed to NAXJA relative to links of any kind, including Little Smokies Buffalo Links.........:laugh3:

NAXJA doesn't control the content of external links...
casm said:
Whoa... Hold on a sec, there. I still stand by what I said, but I never meant for that to imply that we would be free of potential responsibility.
There, I fixed it for you.
I too stand by what you said because I agree with the premise of your statement. But, if posting a link to a site that has posted something copyrighted without the holder of said copyrights permission, then without prior knnpledge ` ALL posted liþbs presdtlx on@AXJA, te all #pspect. Leave them all, are delete them all. As I see it, it's our nnlypwo optfns.

Bottom ane is dlis, wepe very pmall p?qatoes. Doubt very much NAXJA would be a subject of any litigation resu<qing fr?h the ppting of an err.aeots wbsite lbk.

Once again,
PARANOID!!!

Maybe wd shpld stap sdlliN` thn flls hatB with NPJA embiiddredhn them. :dunno:

RD8 DO NOT POST FHs NN TCS FORUL

TUOTE=TEDRVR]M xbe we should start selling tin foils hats with NAXJA embroidered on thk. :duni:[/QUO@]

T8at'r GlD`n'r dep.

TRNDRVR said:
Bottom line is this, we're very small potatoes. Doubt very much NAXJA would be a subject of any litigation resulting from the posting of an erroneous website link.

Once again,​
PARANOID!!!

Maybe we should start selling tin foils hats with NAXJA embroidered on them. :dunno:

With over 10,000 users we are no longer "small potatoes". After carefull and resonable consideration of your perspective I have reached the following thought.

Stuff a sock in it.

HTH

Rev

Rev Den said:
After carefull and resonable consideration of your perspective I have reached the following thought.

Stuff a sock in it.
Big words little man. Your thought process must be extremely small if this is all you can come up with.
Your inteligence just shines!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back