• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parking an XJ

WesXJC

NAXJA Forum User
I ship out to AFBMT in January, then to my Tech school after, so who knows how long I will be away from my precious wagon. What are some things I need to do to prep it for being parked for a while when I'm gone? :dunno:

get the tires off the ground so you dont get flat spots in them. if your going to be gone as long as i think id almost drain the gas. where is it going to be parked. will it be covered or what?

Yeah I would drain the fuel, or put stabilizer in it, disconnect the batter, probably try to get the tires off the ground to keep from getting flat spots, and dry rot, and I would very likely put some mothballs under the hood, and in the interior to keep varmints away.

NO NO do not drain the fuel. Actually fill it up then put stable in it. If the tank is empty condensation will build up and rust out the tank. Definitely get the tires off the ground though and disconnect the battery.

You can bring it with you to Lackland AFB I will be more then happy to look after it for you while you are here.

The fuel tanks on the four XJ i have own have all been metal tanks with plastic covers.

The fuel tanks on the four XJ i have own have all been metal tanks with plastic covers.

X2 they are all steel that I have seen and owned. As stated there is a plastic shield that is on the bottom of them to help against any bad (normal driving/not wheeling) crap.

NO NO do not drain the fuel. Actually fill it up then put stable in it. If the tank is empty condensation will build up and rust out the tank. Definitely get the tires off the ground though and disconnect the battery.

Agreed. If you're going to drain the fuel you'd have to drain *all* of it which is not a realistic goal.

1984 - 1996 tanks are steel. 1997 - 2001 tanks are plastic.

get the tires off the ground so you dont get flat spots in them. if your going to be gone as long as i think id almost drain the gas. where is it going to be parked. will it be covered or what?

I secured a spot in my sister's garage for it to rest while i'm away. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the tires off the ground? Dismounting them and leaving it on jackstands makes me feel uneasy

I secured a spot in my sister's garage for it to rest while i'm away. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the tires off the ground? Dismounting them and leaving it on jackstands makes me feel uneasy

Just get some shorter jack stands and put them under the axles leaving about a half inch of air under the tires. This way if a jack stand fails it won't fall far nor enough to hurt folks and objects near it.

Back