• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

30 spline shafts/dana 30/gears

Thank you sir! So now the question I ask myself is what about a broken shaft on the trail?! A 27 spline spare shaft is useless obviously. S.O.B.

What tire size, axles, gears in the axles? Stroker, no stroker? Doubler? You get the point. More info on the rig and what makes you want/need 30 pline shafts?

29 spline 8.25. High pinion D30 with 297 u joints. 36" Iroks. Factory 3.55s (budget toy, they are clearly not ideal but the jeep has the power to turn them)
I've been wheeling 35" tires on dana 30's for 6 years with no problems. I would think at some point my luck would run out though, so lately I've really been thinking about trussing and getting some 30 spline shafts.
fall10-20-12118.jpg

30 spline shafts do provide a substantial increase in strength over stock 27 spline shafts but as you stated, the down side is the need for a spare 30 spline shaft. that's a damn expensive spare part to buy "Just in case".

Keep in mind that even if you do break a 30 spline alloy shaft (inner) you can leave the outer shaft in place and plug the axle tube with a rag to get yourself of the trail and back home again.

Same applies to a busted outer shaft, if it's just the ears that are broken/bent.

I wouldn't lock a 30 on 36 irocks, that will be the end of your shafts or R&P, I've seem it happen even with a geared axle.

consider the price of 30spline chromos... your in the ballpark for a set of 30 spline RCVs. now, your ring and pinion are DEFINANTLY going to be your weak link. a full case locker like an ARB or OX, truss, and stout diff cover will do a lot to help ring gear deflection, which is the biggest killer of D30 gears when running tires that big.

personally, i wouldnt gear a D30 to 4.88, id stay 4.56 to keep that 3rd pinion tooth in contact with the ring gear.

regardless, itd be a pretty bling 30, very polished turd.

No need for a spare shaft...your R&P will now be the weak link, especially if you go to 4.88 (well...maybe the Spicer 760 joint if you run that, but what's the point of upgrading to 30 spline shafts if not running a wonder-joint of some kind?).

I appreciate all the replies, and for future searchers of this topic...I decided to buy a full width HP 44/Ford 9" combo, and build from there. I couldn't justify spending all that money on a dana 30. So I will be wheeling with a locked 8.25/open dana 30 as I gather the parts for the swap. Thanks fellas.

Back