• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fat City Pre-Runner build

Please find me a buyer. You cant buy the parts alone to be competitive for that much... :cheers:
http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/trader/atl.cgi?ct=5&md=second&id=8165

Ok, time for a stupid east coast guy (trees...lots of trees. No deserts) question. I really enjoy checking out these higher end Jeep Speed threads due to the fab and workmanship that goes into them. That being said I know nothing about desert racing except that watching You Tube videos of Trophy Trucks kinda gives me wood.

My question:

In your for sale ad, you say its 4x4, and it obviously has a front axle. But in the pictures the front and rear tires are obviously not the same diameter (at least it appears they are not in the pics). How does this work with the Tcase? Are the axles geared differently? Do you just not use 4x4 except for in a pinch? Does it not bind up because of the lack of traction/sand/dirt that you run in? Just trying to wrap my brain around it.

Really enjoyed this build thread, as well as your race Jeep.

~ Stump

Hmm... that first pic REALLY looked like they were different diameter. Guess its just the angle.

Thanks for the answer, carry on!

~ Stump

Quick update:

Got it back together. Finally got the sleeve made for the yoke...
DSC00931.jpg

Tigged a plug in the end and drilled a 3/8 hole for the bolt. Drilled and tapped the Output shaft on the T-case
DSC00932.jpg

DSC00933.jpg

DSC00934.jpg

DSC00939.jpg

That is just friggin sweet.

I'm going to CA to pick up a free XJ this weekend and my ex said that she misses her XJ so much that she is willing to give me her SuperCrew back if I give her the XJ. Seriously thinking about it...but then I think about how much I'd spend on building the F150.

Been slowly working on getting the bed organized. Wanted to get the cooler mounted before this weekends desert trip...

The bed was a mess during the inaugural run and my poor Engel fridge got bang up pretty good.

I built a rack to pick the fridge up 7" which would give me the room I need to eventually mount an aluminum jack and whatever else I can fit next to it

IMG00484-1.jpg

I used quick release pins on the mounts because the rack will have to come out in order to get the spare out.
DSC00943.jpg

DSC00944.jpg

DSC00945.jpg

One things for sure. The 97-03's bed space is pretty limited so getting the 64qt. cooler in there was a tight fit.
DSC00948.jpg

Still working on tieing it down, but I think I've got it figured out...

Ive got the same Norcold/engel fridge, its SOOO much better than ice and a cooler. Got mine for 50 bucks off craigslist, and had to do a repaint.

Nice rack!

DSCN1665.jpg

Ive got the same Norcold/engel fridge, its SOOO much better than ice and a cooler. Got mine for 50 bucks off craigslist, and had to do a repaint.

Nice rack! ]

$50!!! WOW. Thats rediculous...

Quick update sinse the thread popped up.

Got the fridge mount done. Double sheared it and figured out how to secure it.
DSC00967.jpg

The handles that come on the fridge are solid and stuck out to far to fit in the truck, so I made new swinging handle's.
Wish I'd painted them before the recent rains.
DSC00966.jpg

Secured it with cable and turn buckles. It worked great last weekend in the desert and I wanted to make it a slight pain in the ass to get out so it doesnt get stolen.
DSC00968.jpg

Almost ready for Baja in 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since the last update on this thread we've had several desert trips, a couple trails, Pre-ran 700 miles of the Baja 1000, ran from Barstow to Laughlin to Oatman Az and back via the dirt.
About 1500-2000 fun off-road miles and 6,000 highway. My wife loves it. My daughter loves it and I couldnt really be much happier with it.

The new drive shaft and non-slip yoke have been flawless. I had the rear springs re-arched and an extra leaf added by Deaver right after the Baja trip which helped hold all the weight I have back there and seemed to eliminate most the axle wrap.

The shock hoops only had one X-tube which broke around mile 950 on the Baja 1000 course and had to be fixed then and there. Ready welder to the rescue... It's since been cut off and done with two tubes and a lot more plate work.

Shot the moon thru two cactuses at 60 mph and cleaned off both mirrors at the same time... Turns out they're semi expensive but easy to replace. Next time I'll fold them in.

Needs a cage, so that'll be coming soon.

Other than that stuff it's been a pretty solid little pre-runner and my family and especialy myself, have been having a blast with it. :beer:

Couple high lights...
San Javier Mission near Loreto, Baja Sur
DSC01182-1.jpg

Small fish camp out side Puerto Chale
DSC01245.jpg

Not a clue where we were for this one. Baja.
DSC01231.jpg

Awesome beaches just south of Muleje, Baja
DSC01568.jpg

DSC01334-2.jpg

Cross tube fixin in the middle of no where...
DSC01264.jpg

Found some quick sand in Ocotillo Wells. Seriously thought it was going to the bottom for a minute... Hard to explain, but pretty gnarly.
quicksand11.jpg

Running around in the mountains near Big Bear.
F-150-Cleighorn.jpg

Barstow Ca. to Laughlin Nv. to watch the Rage at the River and then on to Oatman Az. to hang in the local Saloon.
DSC01838-1.jpg

DSC01992.jpg

DSC01846.jpg

Looks great!! I think you went wheelin with Kris, in a white bronco, he frequents the Bronco forums, cool dude!

damn that thing is just freakin awesome. wish i had places like that around here! nice work

Getting ready for the Baja Extravaganza.
I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to add more weight to the truck so I mounted a compressor and a 2.5 gal. air tank over the weekend.

I started to mount it under the bed in the back, but decieded I have enough weight behind the axle as t is, so I found a void under the cab that I could stuff some parts in...
DSCN0071.jpg

DSCN0074.jpg

DSCN0087.jpg

DSCN0088.jpg

Decided to keep it uniform and mouted the coupler in the bedside next to the aux. battery switch.
DSCN0112.jpg

DSCN0110.jpg

DSCN0111.jpg

I'm still going to make Hartman blow up his kayak by hand on our Baja trip though...:D

My little helper was stoked to be able to help in any way she could...
DSCN0091.jpg

That's a sweet spot for all that non sence! What were you using before this setup?

Didnt have anything.
I have a Powertank but didnt want to mount it because they're so heavy...

I've never really had a need for on-baord air, but thought it would be cool to have, just in case I take the time to make a pneumatic margarita mixer or something...

Back