• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hub fitment based on years

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
Just a simple question i guess. replacing my hubs on my dana 30, i have access to a low mileage hub off an 02 TJ for 10 bucks. will this fit without issue or change on my 97 XJ?

thanks guys

i just saw this on gojeep's site, and now im confused. i really hope the one i have fits, otherwise my jeeps apart outside and i dont have a replacement hub or the money for one right now.

Hub11.jpg

The hubs will bolt to the axle just fine .HOWEVER the brake rotors you have will NOT.The rotors must match the year of the hub.
Wayne

If you change your rotors to the style that matches your donor unit-hubs you can swap either way across the years, 1990 thru 2001.

Three different hub/bearing units were used over the years on XJ's. The hub/bearing units are the same part number for both sides of the vehicle. The model years for hub/bearing assemblies were:

1) 1984 through 1989 (early style rotors)

2) 1990 through mid-1999 (composite rotors)

3) late-1999 through 2001 (cast rotors).

** You need to match brake rotors to the unit bearing/hubs on your XJ. **

Lay the rotor on your bench and measure from the bench to the top of the rotor.

Composite rotors will have an overall height of 3 3/16". Composite rotors will have a thin sheet metal like appearance at the lug nut holes where the studs come through and measure about 1/8 "(.125) thick in this area. Composite rotors have a rounded off corner at the wheel mounting surface and look like two pieces joined together.

Cast rotors will have an overall height of 3 1/16". Cast rotors are thicker at the lug nut holes and measure between 1/4" (.250) to 5/16 (.320) in this area. Cast rotors have a square corner at the wheel mounting surface and look like they are one solid piece of metal.

Parts store replacement rotors may have a different appearance.

On late 1999 - 2001 unit bearing/hubs the ring around the 36MM shaft retaining nut is almost 3/4 inch tall and the hub has longer lug nut studs than older hubs.

On early 1990 - 1999 unit bearing/hubs the ring around 36MM shaft retaining nut is about 1/2 inch tall.

Two steering knuckle designs were used: 1984 to 1989 and 1990 to 2001. Left and right side knuckles have different part numbers.

Two types of brake caliper styles were used: 1984 to 1989 and 1990 to 2001. Left and right sides are different part numbers.

1999.5 to 2001 unit bearing/hub on the left, 1990 to 1999.5 unit bearing/hub on the right
standard.jpg

COMPOSITE ROTOR below -
3893-9099xjrotor.JPG

CAST ROTOR below -
2422-Rotor2.JPG

So i just pulled a d30 from a 86 xj, i seen on the local cl 2 sets of g2 ball joints for 80 unopened so i had to grab em. Now on to my hub assembly, can i get a later year hub like a early 90's hub set up for that axle and just make sure to get rotors to match that year? Or will i have to get the 86 hubs?

Seen a hub assembly for a 91 on cl for 30 i understand the break for the 99s but again this is a 91 hub will it fit on my 86 axle?

1984 thru 1989 D30 use their own specific outer knuckles, calipers, rotors, and unit hubs.

You cannot cross the 1989/1990 model year engineering change with individual parts from 1990+ D30's.

You can do a complete swap of later year knuckles/calipers/rotors/hubs onto an 1984 - 89 D30.

Seen a hub assembly for a 91 on cl for 30 i understand the break for the 99s but again this is a 91 hub will it fit on my 86 axle?

I always understood that '99 had a year specific hub but, as several before me have said, you can swap them with their matching rotor.

I've certainly swapped them over between my '96 & '99.

Some '99s use 98-down hubs and some use Y2K-up hubs. They just changed in the middle of the model year, thus making what would have otherwise been the perfect year of XJ production unnecessarily confusing.

Of course, I guess you could make the argument that a TUPY head on a 2000 or 2001 would bring those two years up to the same standard.

Back