• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood vents and rear hood lifting

Tonybeirut

NAXJA Forum User
Guys. I have good vents and 2" lift at the back of the hood but I still can't touch the hood it's burning my hands.
Coolant temp is normal engine temp is normal.

Anyone has encountered the same problem? I mean I can fry eggs on that hood even with the 2 mods I did.

The exhaust, engine and radiator produce a lot of heat and while hood vents may help some, at low speeds, the exiting air is still very hot, it's the nature of the engine bay.
As long as your engine and transmission are not overheating, I wouldn't worry about it.

Park In the shade.My hood gets hot even if the engine is,nt running

same here. that's the way it is! though the jeep never overheats in the summer I have to play hot potato with the hood. Look at the intake air temp... it can get close to 200F in the summer here!! It's just the way it is.

Where was that green smiley face.....:D. Be sure to use butter when you fry that egg, otherwise they stick.:)

My 1990 has factory insulation on inside of the hood, my friends 2001 has no such insulation. does your hood have insulation on the inside? That may help keep it cooler.

Raising the rear of the hood decreases airflow at speed. Get rid of it unless you're only rock-crawling the thing.
Im not going to say you are right or wrong on this or even disagree with you. Im certainly not advocating using hood risers. Im just wondering what proof you have to make this statement. Good solid proof.

OP, if your XJ is black or a dark color and it's sunny out, there is nothing you can do. It's gonna be hot. Let's consider that everyone has a different level of heat they can endure and what might make you hurt when you touch it, might just be uncomfortable for some. I know my woman will take a shower hot enough to nearly scald me and my shower is way too cold for her. So maybe get us some actual temperatures so we can help better. Keep in mind that 195 degrees Fahrenheit is normal operating temperature for the 4.0L.

Back