• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is colorado right for me?

mscans

NAXJA Forum User
so, i visited colorado for 4 days with my family, we were in boulder for a college football game (my brother is the manager for FSU).

i loved the city, i loved the weather. it looks like an amazing place to live, i cant see why anyone comes to florida for vacation.

i've looked at all the pictures i can find. i cant find a reason not to come.

i work in sheet metal, i can weld, i can do a good amount of wrenching, i have a class A drivers license with hazmat, tankers, triplets, and CDR. i've looked on craigslist, looks like plenty of work there.

soo, you people live there. whats the worst part about colorado? what am i missing?

i saw the state income tax, i dont have that here, but the 2.4?% sales tax makes up for it, as my sales tax is 7.5% here.

are there lots of jobs? stuff to do? hows the jeep clubs there?

how bad is emissions testing really? i have never had to do that. i know my jeep wont pass as is. do they check the rest of the car, or just that? i dont know anything about this.

any response would be great.

thanks-
mike

heres a picture of me and my jeep in florida, just so you can see i'm a real XJ owner.

May10thTrailRide031.jpg

if you liked The Peoples Republic of Boulder wait till you see the rest of the state!!

Well seeing as youre from Florida and im from VA beach. but im a beach kid so i cant stand it sorry. Its a nice place to visit as i say.

Weld County however doesnt have emissions yay.

If you liked Boulder...

You know the Hippes in the 60's, they all live there now. Along with some rich conservatives. It's a nice place...to visit or pick up tail if your of college age.

Not sure exactly where you where, but sales tax rates are driven by the city and county you buy the retail product in. Most sales tax rates are 6.5% +.

So you have sales tax, state income tax, and property tax(if you own a home) So don't move here for cheap taxes.

If you are keen on tax code and tax rates, you won't get along with most of the people in Boulder. :patriot:

We'll see how you do with this...
SNOW.JPG

Actually, it's one of the things I love about Colorado, but the lack of oxygen may account for that sentiment.

looks like i might want to fix the heater in the old jeep.

:) i am looking forward to the snow, i've never seen it in person before. and well, i'm sure it cant be that bad.

you probably dont have alot of hurricanes.

sounds like nobody likes boulder as much as other areas, i think i might take a plane up there and drive around.

Hypoid said:
We'll see how you do with this...
SNOW.JPG

Actually, it's one of the things I love about Colorado, but the lack of oxygen may account for that sentiment.

I know this will come as a surprise but Heather and I actually fancy Boulder and would move there if we could afford it. But alas...we get paid a lowly teacher salary. Colorado, in general, is a bit too Conservative for my tatses and, as a state, is light years behind even Mississippi in the area of education.

Just Woodland.

I moved here the middle of my senior year almost 2 years ago.. I hated the snow because my dad made ME plow the driveway and I live in a town where we get 6 foot drifts in the driveway. This state has amazing weather. You get some cool lightning storms here almost everyday during the summer. Ive been to boulder and the people there are pretty laid back. But I will probably jus go up there a couple times a year cus I live too far away.

O to answer your question, this state is an amazing place to live for anybody..

Well, if you have never driven in the snow... you will have a blast, but make sure you mess around in a parking lot before hitting the streets...

Renegade said:
Well, if you have never driven in the snow... you will have a blast, but make sure you mess around in a parking lot before hitting the streets...

i've seen the video's on youtube, it looks like it could be good times, and a nightmare on the same day.

does anyone drive 2wd up there? seems like all the cars in the video were 4wd.

down here it's most small 2wd cars and convertables.

we have some 2wd cars.. i dont see many during the winter months but they come out sometimes..

riverfever said:
I know this will come as a surprise but Heather and I actually fancy Boulder and would move there if we could afford it. But alas...we get paid a lowly teacher salary. Colorado, in general, is a bit too Conservative for my tatses and, as a state, is light years behind even Mississippi in the area of education.

I would choose my kids Douglas County education over ANY, and I mean ANY school in Mississippi.<I smell a new thread brewing>

The worst thing about Colorado is all the damn people from Florida and Texas coming here and taking our jobs.....at least the jobs that aren't being sent to China. :conceited

Well and I wondered if that's where Frank was heading but he didn't go any further with it. It's very important to not confuse state-wide education spending vs. district wide education spending. We all know that local districts see the majority of their money come from local personal property taxes. Truth be told, the million dollar homes we have here in Woodland have provided me with technology in my classroom that most teachers don't even know exists. This is not what I'm talking about though. I'm talking about the amount of money that the state spends on each child for education. The fact is that we rank near the bottom of the nation with regard to that. It has nothing to do with local districts. It's more that education is not thought to be as much of a priority as it is in other states. Ironically, Colorado ranks near the top in the nation as far as the number of people calling it home that have post-grad degrees. I just used Mississippi as an example.

I'm not sure a new thread is justified. The OP asked opinions about Colorado. We all know that Boulder is not representative of Colorado. Most say, "Thank God". I say, "Bummer".

JohnJohn said:
I would choose my kids Douglas County education over ANY, and I mean ANY school in Mississippi.<I smell a new thread brewing>

I've got no problem with the public schools here. My kids have gone to both District 3 and currently 49. I'm all for increasing schol funding if it's justified. Like any governemantal run agency there's always room for improvement and reducing wasteful spending I've never voted against a tax increase that truly benefits the kids. Cut out the fat and there'll be some extra coin laying around.

Back