View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2013, 08:39
GFY

Re: Clayton Off Road Long Arm Upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in Pa. View Post
I have 12 years of experience with Claytons long arms, and have only adjusted my long arms twice. Why risk putting some kind of turnbuckle type of adjustment into it, and possibly putting another failure mode into it, when its going to get adjusted once, maybe twice over its life span. I recently changed my adjustment, and even with tweaked crossmember mount pockets and 12 years of rust/dirt/grease it took me 1/2 hour to drop the arms, adjust each long arm, and bolt them back down.
Judging by your 12 years of experience, you are not dealing with a 3 link. You are not pulling the single upper and having the whole axle twist on you while having it on an alignment rack.

I'm not running oem axles so the suggested starting points were not even close. Pulling the link, adjust, and trying to get the links back in the axle bracket, repeat was the biggest pita to do by yourself. In hindsight it was a two man job, when a single left hand thread is all that is needed to solve this issue.

Leave the RH/RH lowers. It's not a big deal, the whole axle doesn't try to twist out from underneath you and a simple roll of the tire will get you back in the axle bracket. The single upper is a whole other story.

I should of knew the Clayton fanboys would be coming out..