• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash clock wiring

EvilCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
How many different connectors for the dash clock has Jeep used? I picked two clocks recently and both have different connectors. To make matters worse, my Jeep does not have the respective connector to match either one of the two clocks I picked up. Anybody else have this issue? Is there anyway to splice the wires?

found one on ebay with a connector that matches. unfortunately my max bid wasn't enough. i'll keep an eye out at the junkyards for one. thats aggravating, having 3 different connections. oh, well. i only paid $2.00 for the one i snagged today.

just cut the plugs and put the wires together until it works. If you only paid $2 it wont be a loss it you break it....

Chris

I know the connectors between an 87 and an 89 are different, and later ones have none at all, expecting the clock to be in the radio. When I went to put one in my stepson's '93 (we put in a pull-outy radio with no clock), I just hand wired it.

My XJ is a 91 Sport. There are 3-4 plugs behind the dash that aren't even hooked to anything. i also noticed off the cigarette lighter there is a plug, but no match behind the dash. there is also a green trim ring around the lighter. i'm assuming this is a light as well? if it is, since i can't find a hookup behind the dash, would it be ok to splice it in somewhere? i'm not the best when it comes to wiring, thats why i'm not too keen on splicing the wires together to make the clock work. its definietly a good idea and all, but i think i'd screw it up. i'd feel better just getting one with the proper plug.

Just did it last week in my '92. My new clock out of an '89 had four wires: black, red, blue with black trace and blue with white trace. I grounded the black and blue with black trace to the cig lighter ground, then ran new wires to the fuse block with the other two. There is an open slot on the fuse block marked "acc(essory)". Run the blue with white trace to that spot. Run the red to "batt".

Works great. But if you can get the correct connector, all the better.

Back