• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do you have left to do ???

CharlesS

NAXJA Forum User
This past weekend I replaced the 18 year old steering box and later this week I will be replacing the Currie drag link tie rod.
Two weekends ago I worked on a few vacuum lines and had the Jeep smogged; it passed with low emissions.
Over the past couple months I have been greasing all the zerks, checking bolt tightness and resolving a couple minor annoyances.....
Still need to get an alignment and tire balance along with checking all the fluid levels....
Slightly over a month before I leave for Moab......

I need to put new upper arms on, rebuild rear spring packs, wheel adapters, alignment and oil change. I think that's it. Ha. In the last two months I have put new lower control arms on, new coil springs, ext brake lines, fixed sway bar discos, fixed ac, front bump stops, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, wired up hella lights, I'm sure I'm forgetting things.

Alignment and differential oil can be checked off the list....

After replacing the steering box and drag link tie rod; the steering is predictable again.... Eighteen years on the original steering box and 14 years on the Currie steering isn't bad.....

Just need to decide what I REALLY need to bring on the trip.....

Three weeks remaining until I leave for Moab...... :party:

I still haven't decided what I'm bringing down, so I dunno what I have to do yet haha

I have working doors (but not working windows) on the right side, but still no windshield. I had to take it back to the shop yesterday so the frame rack guy could straighten the windshield frame. Now I am going to put a layer of fiberglass over the edges to cover the rusted out metal. Then maybe the I can get a windshield in and get the safety and emissions inspection done.

Charged the battery, maybe change the oil. She needs tires but that's gonna have to wait, tread is over rated anyway right?

Seems my transmission (from a Dakota) has decided to not down shift to 1st or up shift into 4th. Only will go into 2nd and 3rd and then only when manually shifted. I'm hoping it is just a wiring issue and that i can find the problem soon.

Other than that and a new set of wheels I'm ready to go.

Seems my transmission (from a Dakota) has decided to not down shift to 1st or up shift into 4th. Only will go into 2nd and 3rd and then only when manually shifted. I'm hoping it is just a wiring issue and that i can find the problem soon.

You need it to shift on the trailer?

Nope.

Actually what I was thinking is worst case is I would be wheeling in 2nd and 3rd all week. As you point out, getting it to Moab on a trailer is a non issue.

As it turns out though, it is working fine now.

Last night I checked the wiring to the ECU and also a transmission relay I added to the fuse box for the Dakota transmission (44RE). I didn't find any issues but I did swap out the relay just for the fun of it. After I was done I test drove the Jeep and the transmission is working as it should.

Not sure if something wasn't plugged in correctly, if the old relay was bad, or if was just a fluke in the ECU.

The good news is I'm two wheels from being 100% ready to go!

B

I got the body work around the windshield done so when I get back from my next business trip I may be able to get a windshield installed. Otherwise, I will be leading trails in either a 1989 Toyota Camry or a 1997 Chevy Van. Wouldn't be quite right. ;-), if you know what I mean. On another note, National provided a number of giveaways so we are set on that score.

With any luck you will not have to watch me lead a trail in a Chevy Van. I did everything mechanical I could think of checking and fixing so now it's only the windshield and the safety and emissions inspection. Hope to make it to Canyonlands Campground Wednesday late afternoon with all of the swag National sent. I suggested a half-dozen things and they provided more. Keep Friday night on your calendars. There will be more than enough food and drink.

Started a new job so no Fall Fling for me. The jeep is all ready to go, but alas I need to pay bills.:paperwork

Sorry Tom. If you want to run the White Rim Trail later and need a partner in crime, contact me. I haven't done it in years. As far as the Heep, I got a new windshield installed and am waiting for the urethane seal to cure before the Safety and Emissions inspection can be done. I may not have to lead a trail in the Van after all. Sorry MJR.:clap:

Charles, Terry, or anyone else. If you are at Canyonlands Campground, would you be so kind as to try to find out what campsite I have reserved? It is a tent site in the front. I had to replace a front axle U-joint tonight instead of packing so I probably won't be there before the office closes. I will also try to call them, but they don't always answer the phone. Tomorrow afternoon I will pack and head down. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

As far as the Heep, I got a new windshield installed and am waiting for the urethane seal to cure before the Safety and Emissions inspection can be done. I may not have to lead a trail in the Van after all. Sorry MJR.:clap:

Bummer that would have been fun to watch. :D Cool at least you can do some real wheeling unlike myself while I wait for a new t-case chain and sprockets.

Back