• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HID kits....

Digger87xj

NAXJA Forum User
Took a quick look at a google search and there are just a few to choose from....

Has anyone upgraded their XJ headlamps to HID's and would you do it again?

edit
oh good grief I posted this in f/s... mod, move please :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Moved. :thumbup:
but would spend the coin on good housings.
*Projectors

You can use cheap ebay-type H4 housings and then toss a set of bolt-in projectors (MADE for HID) for less than 400 total with wiring, bulbs, ballasts, projectors, ect. And that's for a bi-xenon (Hi and low in one projector) setup.

Go onto www.retrofitsource.com and look at their easy retrofit kits.

Also jump onto HIDplanet.com and do some research and get more familiarized with HID in general.

I throw empty glass bottles at assholes who just toss a cheap HID kit into their halogen housings and throw light glare everywhere. That doesn't help you, OR oncoming traffic see any better at all. HID is only truly worth the cost and effort if you do it properly, so if you are only wanting it to look cool with purple or blue headlights, don't waste your time and money. If you don't want to do a retrofit for HID, you can look into upgrading to an after market headlamp harness, a set of quality Hella crystal halogen housings, and pair of silverstar bulbs. That will give you vision comparable to OEM level HID setups.

That's my .02, good luck!

XP6054-01.jpg

retrofit%20(15a)_small.jpg

Last edited:
*Projectors

You can use cheap ebay-type H4 housings and then toss a set of bolt-in projectors (MADE for HID) for less than 400 total with wiring, bulbs, ballasts, projectors, ect. And that's for a bi-xenon (Hi and low in one projector) setup.

Also jump onto HIDplanet.com and do some research and get more familiarized with HID in general.

I throw empty glass bottles at assholes who just toss a cheap HID kit into their halogen housings and throw light glare everywhere. That doesn't help you, OR oncoming traffic see any better at all. HID is only truly worth the cost and effort if you do it properly, so if you are only wanting it to look cool with purple or blue headlights, don't waste your time and money. If you don't want to do a retrofit for HID, you can look into upgrading to an after market headlamp harness, a set of quality Hella crystal halogen housings, and pair of silverstar bulbs. That will give you vision comparable to OEM level HID setups.

XP6054-01.jpg

X2 on this

Don't do HID's without the proper housings.

Though I am currently guilty of it on my F-350. The light not only scatters, its purple-ish...I don't want either.

So needless to say once I can focus on the truck and not the buggy I'll be replacing the HID kit I have in it and going with retrofit's and some nice white light.

Though the LED bar I plan on mounting will help that too :D

The available 6x7 "projector housings" are not TRUE projectors, rather just a piece of round glass that is glued to a bracket that sits in front of the bulb and offers no extra light spread or control (i.e. cutoff). You would need to get a set of H4 housings (any kind will work, so long as the clear lens can be removed) and then, depending on your budget, you can get a set of the projectors made by Morimoto that esentially "bolt into" the existing bulb hole on the housing. This type of unit is sold through The Retrofit Source. That is the cheapest and quickest option that still offers OEM level vision performance and light spread.

The other option is to get a set of projectors of your choosing (Lexus RX330, Acura TL, E46, ect.) and actually modify your headlight housings in order for this new projector to fit and still have adjustment capabilities. This option has a price range of $650-infiniti and your results will vary depending on your patience and fabrication skills.

I had done an "option #2" retrofit on one of my previous cars with a set of Acura TL bi-xenon projectors, BMW Hella ballasts, and a set of 4300k phillips D2S bulbs backed by a hand made wire harness. It took me the better part of 2 months and $1000, but the vision it offered was AMAZING! Now that I have driven with quality HID, it is hard to drive with my current crappy factory halogens.

Like I said, there are a few options you can do depending on your budget. On the bright side, retrofitting has become MUCH more streamlined and clean in the past 6-7 years, but still requires some work to make it look and function well.

soooo..I gather the $120 halo/hid kits on amazon are likely not going to do it.

Well guess I will stick with my halogens. I have many more projects that are of higher priority.

Gawd I can't stand those projectors-in-square-housing lights. They look like eyeballs and REALLY retarded on cars.

Ugh. Nope. (n)

foglamps-teaser05.jpg

XP6054-04.jpg

Im curious cost and performance comparison between a legit retro fit hid set up and LED set up.

All of the LED set ups I have come acrossed have been outrageous in price. I'd have to do more research on the performance end. Not to sure if the LED's have the range that HID's do. Would be nice to know.

*Projectors

XP6054-01.jpg

Is it because of how the XJ head light housing are?? Im just courious because I threw an HID kid on my GF's 05 WK and they work great. No scattering at all.

this is your usual H4 housing swap on a XJ with HID's........

41162_153866554638855_6133629_n.jpg

47368_154294547929389_1019068_n.jpg

Ya, lotsa light scatter

Last edited:
those are h4 housings and a generic bulb. You can put hids in them but you'll get same thing as above....

Back