• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carnages!!

my plan was to replace them with 3/16 2x6, but i figured i could let them get beat up until i get around to it since i will be taking them out anyway,but i would be a little upset if i dropped down and screwed up my door

my plan was to replace them with 3/16 2x6, but i figured i could let them get beat up until i get around to it since i will be taking them out anyway,but i would be a little upset if i dropped down and screwed up my door

Beating on your rockers affects the rest of the door opening. If you trash them, you'll have headaches later when you think it'll be easy to just replace them.

Josh is 100% right. I have the 2x6 3/16" rockers now, but I actually came down on my old sliders so hard it pushed them up into the rusty rockers and it was so tight that my door drug on the bottom when trying to open them. Some creative work w/ a welder, u-bolts, a winch, a grinder, lots of flapper and cut off wheels and a BFH and countless hours got everything back in line so I could weld in the current set up. Way more work then I really wanted to put into it...:gee:

My Grand had the plastic covers over the rocker panels, and after the last time out they still looked fine. I pulled them off anyway and the metal rocker underneath is pretty banged up. Pinch seam is still in decent shape though.

I need to take care of it before it gets worse. Sounds like replacing the rocker altogether is much preferred to bolting a slider underneath it?

I guess I should anticipate some work since my rockers are trashed.

Beating on your rockers affects the rest of the door opening. If you trash them, you'll have headaches later when you think it'll be easy to just replace them.

Yeah thats why i got my sliders on before WF, My rockers are perfect so I wanted to keep them that way.

My Grand had the plastic covers over the rocker panels, and after the last time out they still looked fine. I pulled them off anyway and the metal rocker underneath is pretty banged up. Pinch seam is still in decent shape though.

I need to take care of it before it gets worse. Sounds like replacing the rocker altogether is much preferred to bolting a slider underneath it?

if they've already been dented you'll never get a prefabbed slider to fit right, not without a crap ton of work anyway.

Besides, why lose the clearance? Just cut them out. It's not like your ZJ is in perfect shape.

if they've already been dented you'll never get a prefabbed slider to fit right, not without a crap ton of work anyway.

Besides, why lose the clearance? Just cut them out. It's not like your ZJ is in perfect shape.

Yep, that's what's going to happen. Just have to harass the right person with fab skillz who can hook me up. Because I sure can't do it myself.

Back