• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

INTERACTIVE (sorta) project frankenstein

eataburrito10

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, so im 17 and i got my 99 xj last summer. obviously i started "modding" whatever i could as soon as i got it (stickers). i havent done much big stuff other than skids, removing the rear swaybar, getting a roof rack off a grand cherokee (didnt come with one), spraypainting whatever i can see, etc.
Anyway, I ran into some legal difficulties (DUI) and my baby's gonna be sitting in my driveway for the next 3-6 months, so i figured all the money i save on gas should go somewhere useful. :cheers:
I have a whole notebook full of potential plans (lift -of course-, lights, herculining the interior, removable doors, blah blah blah) and I'd like to see what some more of you guys would WANT to see done to an xj, and maybe i can get around to doing it. I'm not talking axle swaps or 8" lifts -but anything practical or even downright ridiculous, if i think its worth it ill post pics.
2.jpg

DSC06601.jpg

i'll be posting more newer pics as soon as i can....as for the lame ass "frankenstein" name--see my other post to help identify this jeep...it is a bastard and has no distinguishing features :D

your 17 and already have a dui? maybe you should do a write up on a miniature garage for your moped that you will be riding for the next 3-6 months

hey dude,
i'm not a preacher, so i won't try to sound like one.
but you should think twice about something here. A DUI is not something light...

the last cherokee i had, i crashed into a fence because of a late night drinking, and it took me a while to think about it. heres what i got out of it, maybe it'll shed some light to your situation.
1) Going 60, i could have just as easily swerved to the left instead of the right, and hit some shmo driving to work. Yes, people do actually die sometimes in accidents.
2) I wrecked a perfectly good truck, that i loved. It may not have had alot of work done to it, but it was something i cared about.
3) I didn't hit that fence because i "couldn't control the wheel". I hit the fence because i fell asleep. When someone falls asleep behind the wheel, their foot is usually going to rest heavier on the skinny, therefore you'll be going faster when you hit.
4) If i wanted to get a new jeep, or ANY car/truck, I couldn't continue to live (and drive) like a drunk. If i would have kept doing stuff like that, i guarentee to you, my current truck would be at the scrap yard dude.

take it or leave it, but i suggest you don't take it lightly.

in terms of modification, a nice audio set up is always good. If you want a lift, I like rough country, though alot of people don't. 4.5" is a good amount. If you're going to lift it, you're playing with geometry of the steering, so you should also read up about how the steering works, and look into getting a stronger system whether that means starting with a new tie rod, or going straight through with stronger stuff for the track bar, tie rod/drag link, changing out the pitman arm (because of the lift. this will reduce bumps), etc.

the doorless mod can be found here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408138
and take it a little further..
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444398

read read read. and don't get screwed and go drive around. my experience has been that even beer and beach-4-wheeling where it's kind of legal don't even mix. that's how i sunk my truck. the first time.
-Liam

Thanks for the reply, but no thanks for the preaching (even if you didn't mean to)...i've already gotten every possible talk and i know it wasnt the right decision but i took my friend home 5 minutes away because his dog was hit by a car...it wasnt a joyride or anything like EVERY person seems to imagine when they hear it

ANYWAY thanks for the suggestions and i'll try to get some pics up :thumbup:

rowley65flip said:
your 17 and already have a dui? maybe you should do a write up on a miniature garage for your moped that you will be riding for the next 3-6 months

ouchh, hilarious yet irrelevant reply to my seirous post. i hope the same thing never happens to you.

how about you save your money for your car insurance. its gonna go through the roof because of your DUI. Also, save it for an attorney for the next time you do it.

17 and a DUI... shit I'd be dead.

Put some tank tracks on it, and wait till your 21 to drink period ...unless your in mexico:D

Hey I'm not going to preach or even sound like I'm preaching. We all make mistakes and who am I to judge.

So first off what are you capabilities with fabrication? Or are you talking bolt on stuff? What kind of wheeling do you do, and how often do you do it? I assume this is going to be a DD?

IslanderOffRoad said:
how about you save your money for your car insurance. its gonna go through the roof because of your DUI. Also, save it for an attorney for the next time you do it.

17 and a DUI... shit I'd be dead.

i really do appreciate you taking your time out to judge me instead of responding to my post. its people going above and beyond like you that really make this site worthwhile. :puke:

coastie124 said:
Hey I'm not going to preach or even sound like I'm preaching. We all make mistakes and who am I to judge.

So first off what are you capabilities with fabrication? Or are you talking bolt on stuff? What kind of wheeling do you do, and how often do you do it? I assume this is going to be a DD?

thanks coastie for an ACTUAL reply! :thumbup: ...yeah mainly bolt on's..i'm gonna be doing a 3" lift if you have any suggestions (i'm thinking rusty's full leaf pack). i already have some armor for the gas, TC, and engine which i'm gonna take off and give a coat of rust oleum or something......my wheeling is mainly mud, snow, powerline trails, stuff like that--i wont be rock crawlin anytime soon...and yes its a DD so i'd like to keep my mpg's up as much as i can
thanks,
mike

Tard! :looser:

eataburrito10 said:
i really do appreciate you taking your time out to judge me instead of responding to my post. its people going above and beyond like you that really make this site worthwhile. :puke:
Chill out. People here are just trying to help you. You gave the details of your situation, and thus can't expect not to get a reaction about them. No one was trying to run you down.

Read through this thread for some ideas especially if your on a budget, and who isn't these days? http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66012&highlight=junkyard+mods

I second or third or whatever number we're at on the 3" lift and 31s, as well as the DUI at 17?! :) I ran a 3" boost front/1.5" rear and 30s for a while and it did good. A free/cheap upgrade would be welding the rear diff, but if its a DD with a lot of pavement, I don't recommend it. I did it, and it kills the tires pretty quick, not to mention the chirping. It'll go all over the place like that. Get a ZJ pitman arm, tierod and ends, and lower control arms. They're all stronger than stock and should be good for a 3" lift/boost. If you don't buy a full kit, then the ZJ LCAs are good. Or look into the RE 3.5", Rusty's if he has a full 3" kit. Are you looking for a full kit or looking to piece it together. The last and possibly best mod would be walking friends home while drunk if its only 5 minutes. I can't say nothin bout drinkin underage...I lost rank in the Marine Corps for it, but at least be smart enough not to get behind the wheel...:)

BlackSport96 said:
I second or third or whatever number we're at on the 3" lift and 31s, as well as the DUI at 17?! :) I ran a 3" boost front/1.5" rear and 30s for a while and it did good. A free/cheap upgrade would be welding the rear diff, but if its a DD with a lot of pavement, I don't recommend it. I did it, and it kills the tires pretty quick, not to mention the chirping. It'll go all over the place like that. Get a ZJ pitman arm, tierod and ends, and lower control arms. They're all stronger than stock and should be good for a 3" lift/boost. If you don't buy a full kit, then the ZJ LCAs are good. Or look into the RE 3.5", Rusty's if he has a full 3" kit. Are you looking for a full kit or looking to piece it together. The last and possibly best mod would be walking friends home while drunk if its only 5 minutes. I can't say nothin bout drinkin underage...I lost rank in the Marine Corps for it, but at least be smart enough not to get behind the wheel...:)

haha thanks man...i considered the welded diff but as a DD i'm definintely not gonna go that route. there are a couple older ZJ's at the local junkyard, i just got a roof rack off one since my SE didnt come with one =( and ill be lookin for the pitman and other stuff if theyre stronger than stock thats awesome :thumbup: I'm probably going for a full kit because i'm not just looking for a little extra height, i wanna make this thing last as long as possible (even though xj's are invincible). as for the last bit, i know what i should have done and hindsight is always 20/20, but at least i got caught before something worse happened :twak:

thanks again for all the replies

Knowing what I know now, I wish I hadn't gone for the welded diff since shortly after doing that, I moved to the city where its all pavement. I used to live around a bunch of dirt roads and desert trails where I could go from home to "downtown" with a minimum of pavement under my tires :D

eataburrito10 said:

I'm not judging kid, I'm being honest. The last thing you should be worried about spending your money on is modding a Jeep you can't drive. You should instead save it for your sky high insurance, the fines associated with what you did, and saving up for the next time you do it.

You're lucky you didn't kill anyone.

People like you make me fear for my family's safety.

Calm down Alex, he's saying that he would eat you!!!LOLOLOLOL

Back