• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crap... accidental shift to reverse.

CommandoXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
i was shifting back into drive from 1-2 range while going over a speed bump about 10 minutes ago, and being that im going over a speedbump i spill my water in the car cuz its sitting in that crappy 'goes-over-e-brake' cupholder that cant hold anything but cans.

i of course dont think much about the tranny and freak out and reach for the water that is moving forward with the cap barely on it; thinking i can get it without it leaking all over my carpeting.

well, i do end up shifting into reverse from probably 15 mph...maybe 20; maybe more like 5, i cant really remember.

bam. stopped. the first thing i can think to do of, as i have never thought of this before was shift into nuetral.

so then im sitting there for a couple seconds after shifting into N thinking what should i do? and I realize my engine has stalled out completely. i shift into park so i lock the key backwards and start it up again and it runs/shifts perfectly fine. there were no weird noises dureing the accidental shift or the afterwards. did i get lucky and not damage anything? or did i damage something i just cant be seen/felt/heard?

Most autos will handle that with no problem. It happens to little old ladies all the time. :gag:

it's probably fine. I've done real nasty things to automatic trannies. I imagine that the motor stalling out was probably the best thing that could have happened. You may want to drop the pan and look for metal bits in it, but if you didn't hear anysnapping or popping noises then the clutch packs probably just slipped.

thx for the responses so quick. i actually think it was midway between nuetral and reverse for a good time while i was pressing on the brake and was just closer to reverse so it locked into that. not sure since i dont have to have my thumb depressed to change from nuetral to reverse (i dont think anyways...).

Now, I must ask, why were you so concerned about spilling water? Was it beer? I've always thought bevarages take second priority to driving and am prepared to drop my drink in on the floor in favor of maintaining control of the vehicle.

That said, most likely youre trannys fine. Now, if you had shifted into park you may have been in for some grinding and I know someone who screwed up a manual trans shifting into reverse on the freeway- forgot its not a 5 speed?- but it was a Triumph (small POS, British).

I've done the same thing, just at a little higher speed, around 35-40. No damage or anything, just laid a nice pair of skidmarks. It also killed the engine and locked the key like it did to you. Nothin big. Keep Jeeping happy. :wave:

I did that in an automatic rental a couple weeks back. It scared the crap out of me. I usually have my right hand on the shifter (in my manual)...doing this in an automatic didn't work out so well for me. I don't know if i was downshifting in my brain or something? :D.

I've done that before driving other peoples cars- except I usually manage to knock the car into neutral from drive (like you would put a manual into first) at a stoplight when it turns green and sit there, trying to find a pedal that isin't there and reving the engine.

Last edited:
I was honestly at a complete loss as to what happened for a few seconds. I had to put it back in park and start it up again. The nasty grinding noise freaked my out...then i realized it wasn't my car (or a friends), so it was ok :). Me and automatics are not a match. I've only had manuals for about 5 years now.

now you gotta try going in reverse about 20 mph and flooring it into drive

fun stuff happens

funvtec said:
now you gotta try going in reverse about 20 mph and flooring it into drive

fun stuff happens

thats about the only way ive ever lit em up good on dry pavement. just maybe not at 20. jeez

CommandoXJ96 said:
i was shifting back into drive from 1-2 range while going over a speed bump about 10 minutes ago, and being that im going over a speedbump i spill my water in the car cuz its sitting in that crappy 'goes-over-e-brake' cupholder that cant hold anything but cans.

Why was your tanny in 1-2 anyway? Were you shifting like an "auto-stick"?

My friend who works at a rental car place does it all the time. Nothing ever breaks, but it can't be all that good. Mental note, don't buy used rental cars.

i was with my buddy and he just picked up a customer car, 90ish blazer, while his wrangler was gettting its 4th master cylinder.we pulled out onto the highway, were doing about 45 and somehow he sticks it in reverse. wheels lock up, engine stalls. we quick restarted it and got outta there before the shop owner saw. supposedly it never had any problems and its still being driven today.

sixdoubleseven said:
Why was your tanny in 1-2 anyway? Were you shifting like an "auto-stick"?

have a buddy that likes to do that and other fun tranny stuff like neutral drops...

he's on his 7th tranny in 2 cars right now.

maybe he has learned his lesson(doubt it though- not the sharpest tool in the shed :) )

langer1 said:
Why don't you backwards challanged drivers fix your shifter, it should not go into reverse without pushing the lock out button on the T-Handle.

That's what I was wondering, is there a problem with some of these shifters not locking, or do some people disable that for some odd reason?

have a buddy that likes to do that and other fun tranny stuff like neutral drops...

I worked with a kid that had that habit, he was on his third tranny at the time he got fired for theft after working for us for a year.

Back