• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Duramax vs Old J20

Maybe someday they'll reach yours to help you understand that stacks defeat the purpose of a pickup truck, and as such look stupid. ;)

well I got a long Bed So I could easily still put as much in the box as a guy with an empty standard box ...But the purpouse of a pick up depends on the intent of use by the owner , and in my case it's to haul my Jeep on a trailer with ease through the mountains of Colorado , and the bed wil just hold odds and ends tools and parts for the trip ...So I guess it's not defeating the purpouse of my intended use .:cool:

I towed with a J20 with rebuilt 360 and a built 727 tranny for about 2 or 3 years. Did it work, yes, was it great, no it was not. My mileage was in the single digits, I had no AC, could not take the wife and kids, it was a bit of a challenge. My new tow rig, 2002 F350 7.3 crew cab is awesome! As far as a diesel swap into a J20, I am helping a buddy do a full frame off restoration and 4BT swap into a 73 J20 and let me tell, you it is NOT an easy swap if you do it right. I have seen some cludged together swaps that just downright suck, but if you have the time, the money, and the skill, you could have a great old school tow rig with some modern reliability.

Damn this thread for giving me ideas... if a seller finds the old reg for a truck he's selling I'll be getting a J20 with a 360/T18, swapping in a new motor, EFIifying it, and towing with it.

It can't be worse than my dodge with a 318 and a (broken) auto trans. Well, maybe it can, but at least it'll still move :laugh2:

Damn this thread for giving me ideas... if a seller finds the old reg for a truck he's selling I'll be getting a J20 with a 360/T18, swapping in a new motor, EFIifying it, and towing with it.

It can't be worse than my dodge with a 318 and a (broken) auto trans. Well, maybe it can, but at least it'll still move :laugh2:

Please do this Ken!!!

If he finds the registration I am, else I can't register/title it in mass. If he doesn't I'm gonna see if I can find a way to gin one up legally (all the antique titling companies, etc.)

It will not be getting a 6bt or a 4bt. I am not made of money... if the motor blows once I get a job again it might well end up with one at that point, but right now it just needs to move.

Back