• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you towing with?

Picked up a new tow rig.

97 Ford F800
8.3 Cummins
Eaton Fuller 9 speed
Will pull anything...and anything...and everything.

vIfIxWN.jpg

Very cool.

Quad cab too. That would fit Varmints. I am jealous.

However, does it fit in the garage? With everything else?

Sadly, it does not fit in the garage. At 24 feet long, missed it by a foot. Elevation is slightly off too.

Picked up a new tow rig.

97 Ford F800
8.3 Cummins
Eaton Fuller 9 speed
Will pull anything...and anything...and everything.

vIfIxWN.jpg

That has got to ride like shit..... Can it even do 70?

Ha! Im looking for a F650 with a C7 and a winning lottery ticket myself.

That has got to ride like shit..... Can it even do 70?
Yes, rides like shit empty. Does have air ride seats though which helps a bunch.

Top speed is well over 70, although that is faster than I can tow in CA without getting a ticket.
Ha! Im looking for a F650 with a C7 and a winning lottery ticket myself.
The C7 is a good motor, I specifically wanted the 8.3 Cummins since it is nearly identical to my 12 valve 5.9...including the manual p7100 bosch pump which I am already very familiar with.

The 8.3 is also already more torque than a cruise ship, so it will basically not get turned up much...I'm thinking 1200lbft tops.

Bonus...only 30k miles on it...chances are good the engine, trans, and axles will outlive me.

I'm rather jealous. That's a sweet rig.

I'll post up when I'm done. Plans are 4x4 conversion, Denali interior, Raptor paint in Jeep Liquid Charcoal Gray, Stereo, and power windows/locks.

I'm a bit surprised that CA doesn't bury you under so many regulations over that, it ends up not being feasible/affordable.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Do you have to smog that?

I know '97 is the last year of smog exempt diesel pickups, but I suppose that is a step or two up into another class.

At the very least you should slap a "Dirty Idle" decal on it.

I'd be interested in seeing what you do with that. Looking forward to the pictures when its done. I've often thought about getting a 7.3 Ford Roll back for hauling my junk and a camper to tow behind it. But the cash aint there right now.

Picked up a t1138 transfer case today, $1300 shipped with driveshaft ends.

Has a high range of .73 overdrive....with intended super singles this will give me a 63mph tow speed at 1525 rpm. :D

Picked up a t1138 transfer case today, $1300 shipped with driveshaft ends.

Has a high range of .73 overdrive....with intended super singles this will give me a 63mph tow speed at 1525 rpm. :D
Doesn't CA have a special speed limit of you are towing? Weight based or whatever?

Doesn't CA have a special speed limit of you are towing? Weight based or whatever?

Anytime you have 3 or more axles you are limited to 55mph. Legal-wise at least. The semis are still doing 70 on the freeways. Try driving 55 while towing and you are in their way.

So, yes, there is a law, but it doesn't seem to have much impact on behavior as enforcement is variable. Much like the hands free cell phone laws.

I picked up an 05 6.0 Superduty, already put 1 trip on it towing the miata back to the midwest. Thing doesn't even know there's something back there. Next trip is Moab. Truck rocks, and all the 6.0 issues have been taken care of. Oil cooler went in the trash can. It's a Lariat 4x4 crew cab long bed, so it's only 2 feet shorter than your truck John. Parking is not an option with it. :)

4200b8e5bb2300fe79e3efa2009feb29.jpg

If camping this is how we tow these days.

a63245c0c2e9d6639932ca908af2033b.jpg

If staying in a cabin or day trips this is how we tow. Also what we are towing to Moab with.

mac ‘bleeds ford blue’ gyvr

Back