• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1979 Dana 44

BOB

MWC geezer
NAXJA Member
can anybody tell me if the 1979 DANA 44 would swap on to my 1995 XJ Country. Are D44's D44's regardless of year? what differences should I look for? Thanks.......

BOB said:
can anybody tell me if the 1979 DANA 44 would swap on to my 1995 XJ Country. Are D44's D44's regardless of year? what differences should I look for? Thanks.......
What is it out of? D44s internaly are all pretty much the same but they come in all kinds of vehicles...Front,rear,full width,narrow. I use one out of a scout and I had to get 1.25" spacers on both sides....Also lots of diferent bolt patterns.

it wont swap in without work.

If it's out of a '79 full-size Jeep Wagoneer/Cherokee, it could be one of two widths, neither of which is the same as the XJ, it'll have 6-lug hubs and drums rather than 5-lug, and the differential will be off-center on the axle. It can be made to work with adaptation, but it's not exactly a bolt-in.

the only information I have right now, is that it came from a 1979 Cherokee, it had an automatic. (which I have) It has an "extreme offset". The seller said it may be ideal for smaller XJ's and I may only need to modify one end. I suppose I'll need to make some measurements.

BOB said:
the only information I have right now, is that it came from a 1979 Cherokee, it had an automatic. (which I have) It has an "extreme offset". The seller said it may be ideal for smaller XJ's and I may only need to modify one end. I suppose I'll need to make some measurements.
I would stay away from that one....The XJ ones are getting easier to find all the time...Also you can do what I did and go with a scout 44...Reweld the perches and shockmounts and get some spacers....cheap rear end.

BOB said:
Note the qualifier: "May" be ideal. Or ... may not.

Not.

It can be made to work (and I've seen XJs on the trail with full-size SJ axles), but note that all the things I mentioned will apply -- it's the wrong width, you can't run XJ wheels without adapters, and the differential is offset to one side. How "ideal" does that sound to you?

if you run a cv shaft youll be alright in the drive shaft department. however, you might run into problems with tub clearance. maybe exhaust too, id have to check to confirm that. all your clearance issues probably depend on how much lift you have.

small pederson said:
if you run a cv shaft youll be alright in the drive shaft department. however, you might run into problems with tub clearance. maybe exhaust too, id have to check to confirm that. all your clearance issues probably depend on how much lift you have.
If by "CV" you mean a double cardan drive shaft, actually that's NOT a good choice with an offset differential. The double cardan unit incorporates two u-joints, so they are always "in phase". If there is any angularity at the third u-joint on the other end of the shaft, it's going to be out of phase and cause vibes. This is why with a double cardan shaft you shim the axle so the pinion u-joint is straight (zero operating angle, or as close to zero as possible).

With the diff offset to one side, it's not possible to achieve a zero angle at the pinion.

<cough> 8.8 <cough>

flexj said:
<cough> 8.8 <cough>
the 8.8 also has an ofset pinion

bolt in and almost the same strength as an 8.8 - is the CHEROKEE 96+ CHRYSLER 8.25 WITH 29 SPLINE SHAFTS!!!!!

Eagle said:
If by "CV" you mean a double cardan drive shaft, actually that's NOT a good choice with an offset differential. The double cardan unit incorporates two u-joints, so they are always "in phase". If there is any angularity at the third u-joint on the other end of the shaft, it's going to be out of phase and cause vibes. This is why with a double cardan shaft you shim the axle so the pinion u-joint is straight (zero operating angle, or as close to zero as possible).

With the diff offset to one side, it's not possible to achieve a zero angle at the pinion.

A double, double cardan is your best bet.

Double your pleasure, double your fun.

Seriously, unless you want to run a Dana 18 or an Orion case, stay away from that axle.

CRASH

CRASH said:
double, double cardan [/URL] is your best bet.

Double your pleasure, double your fun.
I've often wondered about the possibility of running double cardans on both ends. I've never seen anyone do it -- can it be done w/o causing other problems?

Eagle said:
I've often wondered about the possibility of running double cardans on both ends. I've never seen anyone do it -- can it be done w/o causing other problems?

Well, my wifes POS 1997 GMC Sonoma runs a dual CV rear shaft (Saginaw type joints) from the factory.

Whether this type of shaft has caused the PLETHORA of other problems this lemon of a vehicle has experienced in its shameful 70,000 mile life is a debatable question.

CRASH

actually an article in last months (Feb.) JP mag page 70.is all about driveshafts. states that is what a double cardian shaft is for. a driveshaft with a only one ,it's called a cardian joint .one with one at each end is called a double because it has two not one

Back