• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2002 F350 Dana 60

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
i got a chance to get a D60/10.5 combo out of a 2002 F350, i know that the diff on the 60 is 3.5" more to the drivers side that the 78-79 60's will it be a major problem running coils with the diff offset that much to the drivers side? im gonna be runnin 36" iroks and i know that a 60/10.5 combo may be a little overkill for them but i can get the set for less than $500, should i get them or will the 60 be to much of a pita to run under my xj? i plan to run 6-7" of lift

If you don't get it narrowed, it will be crazy wide.

You will still be able to run coils on it, you may have to place your spring perch bracketry close to the pumpkin or even part of the bracketry on it. Welding to cast isn't bad as long as you preheat the cast section.

And a 60 is not overkill for 36 IROKS. I've seen folks break chromealloy 44's in thier driveways with 36 iroks.

all the fab work will be done by a friend who just opened up his own fab shop, as far as axle width im not to worried about that as i want to have my axles wide for stability, thanks for the help

if ball joints are so badd then why does dynatrac have them on there prorock60's? as far as unit bearings, for now they will be fine, ill upgrade in the future if need be for for now they should be fine

just wonderin if anyone on here or knows someone who has run a fullwith 80-02 ford dana 60 on a XJ or TJ, im just wondering what they did for control arm mounts and coil buckets.

Thanks Rob

If your boy has fab skills who cares. Make it work. Don't run 36s, run 40s!

Now your sure this is a 60 and not a 50? Ford likes to put 50s in their newer trucks.

Your going from budget boost to talking about a 60 front? Some people would call you crazy. I say go for it if you can.
I wish I'd went for a d60 a long time ago.

36s and a dana 60 up front will yeild you the ground clearance of 30s and a d30. 38.5s are the lowest I'd think of going with if you like the rocks at all like we have out here on the westside.

Getting that under your jeep is going to be a huge task........

Your going to have to have a secure platform to run decent links to keep the unibody structure in one piece at the mercy of the 1000 lbs of axle underneath.

Unibody plating, some sort of cage, well designed suspension with sturdy crossmembers tell your buddy he has a lot of work ahead of him......

Last edited:
DirtyMJ said:
One thing... is it a ball-joint/unit bearing one?

They're crap, IMHO. Money is saved finding a better one in the long run.

That would start a war with some people on this board.....

Balljoint/unit bearings though part of many a heated debate do work well for some.

I'd run a unit bearing 60/9 with ctm 300m internals. I'm sure a few will say that's the hot setup right now.......

What do you run?

xDUMPTRUCKx said:
If your boy has fab skills who cares. Make it work. Don't run 36s, run 40s!

Now your sure this is a 60 and not a 50? Ford likes to put 50s in their newer trucks.

Your going from budget boost to talking about a 60 front? Some people would call you crazy. I say go for it if you can.
I wish I'd went for a d60 a long time ago.

36s and a dana 60 up front will yeild you the ground clearance of 30s and a d30. 38.5s are the lowest I'd think of going with if you like the rocks at all like we have out here on the westside.
its a 60, and im gonna be runnin around 6-7" of lift with either homeade 3link or clayton arms up frt, as far as ground clerance, its a small price to pay for strenth, about tire size, i already got the tires, actually ive had them since sept. im gonna make the combo work, i just hope i cant get it all together before Nac Fest

ROBZ95Xj said:
its a 60, and im gonna be runnin around 6-7" of lift with either homeade 3link or clayton arms up frt, as far as ground clerance, its a small price to pay for strenth, about tire size, i already got the tires, actually ive had them since sept. im gonna make the combo work, i just hope i cant get it all together before Nac Fest

Well I'd go with a 3 link......I'm currently working on one myself.

Claytons radius arms while stout are quite the rock anchors.....

Build something that will tuck up nice.

Sell those damn 36s. If your going to run this axle run tires accordingly. Its not going to be cheap......just look at my bank account. Strength does you no good if you have no clearance.......trust me I've seen it.

Unshaved 14 bolts, while strong are not worth the effort unless your running a large tire otherwise it becomes a snowplow.....ask 4xsanta!

A 60 will hang low and grab everything, get some tires to bring it up and make it worth all your time and effort, otherwise you'll be mocked as the guy who has a bulletproof drivetrain but can't make it through the trail cause he's so hungup.

Be smart about this and you can make it work, you have to be realistic too. I ran 36s on a 30.........

Would you drive a formula one car down the street to pick up eggs? Its gonna get horrible gas milage and it won't take speedbumps well and it will ride like crap.

NO you'd take it to a track and do 200+ because that's what its made to do.

60s are made for big tires. You've got a 60 use it or loose it.....

xDUMPTRUCKx said:
That would start a war with some people on this board.....

Balljoint/unit bearings though part of many a heated debate do work well for some.

I'd run a unit bearing 60/9 with ctm 300m internals. I'm sure a few will say that's the hot setup right now.......

What do you run?

They are running F450 outers, not the F350 stuff. Or at least I hope they are if they are spending the money on 300M stuff.

That's what Dynatech does. And there's a SLIGHT reason for it.

I will admit that I am living in the past when it comes to certain things - but you'd be suprised how much cheaper things can get once they are no longer 'hip'.

I run a LP D44, FWIW. Not ideal, never will be. Not going to deal with it until I have enough cash to do things how I want. Axles are fairly low on my priority list currently. The powertran and weight is more of the issue. But, that doesn't mean I don't have friends who run 60 fronts and larger. I've seen some interesting failures.

DirtyMJ said:
One thing... is it a ball-joint/unit bearing one?

They're crap, IMHO. Money is saved finding a better one in the long run.

Pretty sure Jason Paule and the Twisted Crew run the 350 unit bearings and ball joint on their buggies.

Ball-joint failure I've found to be more associated with weight. Typically some FS guy will pull the tires off the ground coming over a ridge and when they come back down it's all over...

But, if the guy wants to run the axle (he's only wanting 36s) he can go right ahead. I seriously doubt he'll ever have any problems with it in an XJ with tires that size or reasonably larger (40s?). My opinion is that I wouldn't - but that's me.

ive actually scraped thw whole plan, at this point i just dont have the money or the resorses to run them tires or axles, BUT the one think that bugs me that dumptruck says was about bein the one who would hold up the group cause of gettin hung up on everything, well id perfer to get hung up a few times than to be the one breakin axles cause im runnin to much tire for a 30 or 44

I've got the wide dodge D60 on the front of mine running 35's. Yes it does often hit...when I'm not paying attention or am just bashing away at an obstacle...When I get the chance I guess I need to put on some 37 or 38's...but I'd need to regear too.

My next xj will probably have the late 90's dodge 44 front and a matching width rear...4.10 gears and 33" boggers...

if yellowxj ever just catches fire and burns down...or suffers multiple rolls causing catastrophic damage...that will be the only way I get to start on another xj.

ROBZ95Xj said:
ive actually scraped thw whole plan, at this point i just dont have the money or the resorses to run them tires or axles, BUT the one think that bugs me that dumptruck says was about bein the one who would hold up the group cause of gettin hung up on everything, well id perfer to get hung up a few times than to be the one breakin axles cause im runnin to much tire for a 30 or 44

I'm speaking from experience my man.

I'm not trying to come down on you, I'm trying to light a fire under your ass, give you some motovation.

Unscrap that idea, run those axles and get 40s.

I said to go with a bigger tire if you were doing that axle, I didn't say don't do the axle I said do both.

we saw a guy hit EVERY rock on a trail because of too large of an axle too small of a tire, it was a learning experience.

Besides unless your on the west coast you don't really know the rocks :flipoff:

i definetly apriciate your help and would love to make this prodgect possible but I just have to be realistic about a few things, the first is this is my only rig, and when it gets back on the road it will be my DD so i cant have it up on 36's not to mention 40's or the cops would own it, and the real big reason is cost, as of now i dont have a couple grand to throw at a rig that aint even gonna be street leagal, buldin it with a 4.5" lift and 33's at this point is alot more realistic, maybee come summer or fall i may have the money to take the next step, but for now i just got to be realistic about this, my jeep never left the driveway all year in 2006, and i dont feel like doin it again in 07, i wanna wheel the damn thing, so im sellin the Iroks and gettin some 33's and 4.5" lift parts, and again thanks for the help and tips, its definetly apriciated.

Back