• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2nd Gen Dodge Cummins VS. 2nd Gen Gasser

If you want reliability/low cost, keep the thing stock.

My '01 CTD has plenty of balls to pull my 7k trailer (~2200 lb) and probably 5k lb + MJ without a problem.

And it's rated at 235 hp and 460 lb ft of torque. Which is pretty mild compared to newer diesels and even gassers.

It doesn't need to be totally stock to be as reliable as an anvil... a basic intake and exhaust and a quality mild (read: towing) chip isn't going to increase power enough to risk anything. Anything that adds more fuel (chip) I'd have a EGT gauge installed, and keep those temps under 1400*, ideally under 1200*.

I wouldn't have picked that truck up if I were you. To many things I wasn't impressed with. If your serious about one keep looking and go check them out often so you can keep fresh and on top of how much there worth and in what condition.

They can build and handle reliable HP. These trucks are very detuned from factory. Also the manual transmissions in 5 spd are just fine. Weak point is the output shaft but they still aren't that weak. Mine has the 6spd flywheel and clutch in it as an upgrade.

I wouldn't have picked that truck up if I were you. To many things I wasn't impressed with. If your serious about one keep looking and go check them out often so you can keep fresh and on top of how much there worth and in what condition.

They can build and handle reliable HP. These trucks are very detuned from factory. Also the manual transmissions in 5 spd are just fine. Weak point is the output shaft but they still aren't that weak. Mine has the 6spd flywheel and clutch in it as an upgrade.

What weren't you impressed with?

The NV4500 is a much better platform IMO, With New process gone, The nv5600 was not a super popular Transmission, As where the NV4500 was.. SO with that said, Parts for the nv5600 are starting to get scarce..

The 5th gear issue is not a big deal IMO, the new style Lock ring/bolt fixes it..

My BONE stock 99 with the NV4500 spit the nut at under 100k, fixed with the "updated locking" nut. At 130k or so did it again, also ended up with a hairline crack (not failure) in the gear. Fixed again with the better "updated" nut. Started having issues again 40k or so later. Put in a reman from a very reputable company it broke a gear 50k or so later, they warrantied it. I gave up in another 40k when it started to have an issue.

I always ran the correct fluid, changed fluid, kept truck stock, and simply drove it. Never hot rodded it. It towed 50% of the time loads weighed from 3500-9000 or so pounds.

As for the NV5600 I agree they are getting more scarce and parts are getting more expensive but it is a much stouter trans. You could also build a bullet proof auto for 4-5k too....

Back