• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Greg Smith Power door locks writeup PRE-1991

Re: Greg Smith Power door locks writeup

Don't know what happened to the link but if you need the power lock info you can email me at [email protected]. I can send you what I have. It consists of a document I wrote using Gregg's early drawing. I also have a later document by Gregg. You should have no trouble doing the mod using this info.

Jay in MA

I did this today on my 88, works like a charm. After my brain figured out what was going on, it was a breeze.

Thanks!

KH

Kevin3151 said:
I did this today on my 88, works like a charm. After my brain figured out what was going on, it was a breeze.

Thanks!

KH

:cheers: Greg

Great write up Greg. I fixed a 88 XJ at the dealership today with this repair. Just for reference, I used 2 mopar ASD relays, part# 04727370AA and they worked great.

Ever think about submitting this for a FAQ subject?

Thanks again Greg!

Hello all! - In regard to Greg's writeup: I have an '86 that I have been trying to fix the locks on to no avail...first, inside the psgr door on this year jeep there is a splice for the tan and light green wires to the psgr door, the psgr rear door and to the rest of the doors/rear hatch. This is different than Greg's post of there being a master splice on the driver's side under the carpet..not the case here...hence there is no general wire harness connector once the wire bundel leaves the psgr door and enters the kick panel, but rather two sets of light green and tan wires, one set going to the left side of the car (and eventually rear hatch) and one set to the psgr side rear door. Anyway, I spliced the wires together to simulate Greg's general wire harness connector and undid the extra two splices on the inside of the psgr door. So, after I did this, I hooked up the circuit just as described by the post with the Part's Express parts, was able to operate the switch on the psgr door completely (lock/unlock both worked) again and the lock part worked on the driver's switch. So, I figured since the whole system was working much better, but not completely, I went ahead and redid some of my earlier crude splices (with good ones) and tried the system again. Well, the unlock works on the psgr door, but when I press the lock part of that switch I just here a clicking sound coming from the relays. Does anyone know what might be happening here? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Bryan C. said:
Great write up Greg. I fixed a 88 XJ at the dealership today with this repair. Just for reference, I used 2 mopar ASD relays, part# 04727370AA and they worked great.

Ever think about submitting this for a FAQ subject?

Thanks again Greg!

Bryan, Glad it worked for you. I did have a nice writeup on southeasternxj.com but that site appears to have been taken off line. Don't know if it is worth doing a writeup now for the dwindling numbers of pre 91s w. this wiring problem on the door locks. This thread may be enough.

kemper said:
Hello all! - In regard to Greg's writeup: I have an '86 that I have been trying to fix the locks on to no avail...first, inside the psgr door on this year jeep there is a splice for the tan and light green wires to the psgr door, the psgr rear door and to the rest of the doors/rear hatch. This is different than Greg's post of there being a master splice on the driver's side under the carpet..not the case here...hence there is no general wire harness connector once the wire bundel leaves the psgr door and enters the kick panel, but rather two sets of light green and tan wires, one set going to the left side of the car (and eventually rear hatch) and one set to the psgr side rear door. Anyway, I spliced the wires together to simulate Greg's general wire harness connector and undid the extra two splices on the inside of the psgr door. So, after I did this, I hooked up the circuit just as described by the post with the Part's Express parts, was able to operate the switch on the psgr door completely (lock/unlock both worked) again and the lock part worked on the driver's switch. So, I figured since the whole system was working much better, but not completely, I went ahead and redid some of my earlier crude splices (with good ones) and tried the system again. Well, the unlock works on the psgr door, but when I press the lock part of that switch I just here a clicking sound coming from the relays. Does anyone know what might be happening here? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Kemper, I will try to help but need some more info. Is it a 2 or 4 door vehicle and which passenger side door were you refering to if it was a 4 door? I only have the wiring diagram for 89s from my 89 fsm but it may be the same. Perhaps someone w. a chiltons or other book can let us know it the wire diagrams listed there for the door locks covers 86 to 89 as the same? Greg

Greg Smith said:
Kemper, I will try to help but need some more info. Is it a 2 or 4 door vehicle and which passenger side door were you refering to if it was a 4 door? I only have the wiring diagram for 89s from my 89 fsm but it may be the same. Perhaps someone w. a chiltons or other book can let us know it the wire diagrams listed there for the door locks covers 86 to 89 as the same? Greg
Hey, Greg...the jeep is an '86 4 door cherokee and I was referring to the right front passenger door. I am really at a loss right now because I have meticulously followed your instructions and cannot understand why the relays are clicking when the locking is switched, but it is certainly possible that something was misunderstood... who knows. If you think it will help I can take some pictures and post them. Thanks

kemper said:

Kemper, when people have had problems doing this fix it usually is due to hooking wires to the wrong connector blades on the relays or due to a bad wire to connector connection or bad ground. Typically it is a reversal of the 86 and 87 position connections on the relays. First confirm you have the part of the tan and light green wires comming from the passenger door lock switch connected to the 86 position on the relays and the remaining pieces of the tan light green wires that go on to the door locks are attached to the 87 postion. 87a and 85 are connected to ground and 30 is the new incomming power supply.

Note in my fix the connection to the tan and light green wires occurrs after the internal splice in the frnt passenger door because it occurs in the kick panel just outside the door. So my fix does not affect the door lock function in that door since the lock in that door usually gets plenty of pwr at the begining of the circuit and never has been part of the typical problem.

I wish we could come up with a wire diagram of the 1986 jeep xj door locks for comparison so I could provide better help. Anyone out there know if it is the same as the 1989?

Let me know how it goes. Greg

Greg Smith said:
Here is how I did the wiring: I used the two 12v relays. They have 5 blades: 86 is trigger pwr from the passenger dr switch; 85 is ground; 87 is the new pwr source; 30 is the path to the lock and 87a is to ground (in this application). I cut the Lgreen and tan wire about 5 inches forward (toward the front of the Jeep) of the wire harness connector that connects the wires to the wires coming out of the passenger frnt dr. In this example I attached the tan unlock wire coming from the passenger frnt door to 86 and 85 to ground; 30 is attached to the tan wire going to the door locks; and 87a is to ground. I used the new 10 gauge pwr line I had previously run to the battery/starter relay post with a 30 amp inline fuse. You can take off pwr from a splice on the red pwr going into the passenger door instead. (The same approach is used for the lgreen wire using the other new relay for for the lock circuit.) The key to making this work was 87a to ground. When the lgreen or tan wire are not in pwr mode they provide ground path to ground through the driver’s side switch. With my new relays I substituted a new body ground instead. As a result I increased voltage and created new better grounds. The locks now all slam open and closed even in very cold weather. Hope this helps. At least 30 people I have heard from have done this mod with great success. Greg
Greg, from your initial writeup you have the new power going to 87, not 30. And you also have 30 going to wires going to the rest of the door locks, not 87. This is what I followed along with the rest of the above quotation...is your most recent post just reversed on accident? Thanks

Finally, my '88 is succumbing to this. Howver, since I have the keyless entry system, I already have door lock/unlock relays under the pass kick panel. Are the relays described in this fix, in addition to, or instead of or do I just need run a new source wire?

Saudade said:
Finally, my '88 is succumbing to this. Howver, since I have the keyless entry system, I already have door lock/unlock relays under the pass kick panel. Are the relays described in this fix, in addition to, or instead of or do I just need run a new source wire?

Sorry I misread my old instructions and they are correct. 87 is new pwr supply and 30 is path to lock. Greg

In case anyone already has keyless entry as I do. Yes you can leave the relay and or remove it. Mine had very little on the open side only so I just eliminated that relay and used the fix for the open only. I'ts hard to undrstand untill you get in there and start cutting. Then , perfect. Mine is a 92, but then I rememberd I got the harness from an 89. Thanks Greg.

I left them as I use my keyless entry. My issue was some corrosion on the contacts in the pass side switch. Once I cleaned them, all was well.

purplexj said:
In case anyone already has keyless entry as I do. Yes you can leave the relay and or remove it. Mine had very little on the open side only so I just eliminated that relay and used the fix for the open only. I'ts hard to undrstand untill you get in there and start cutting. Then , perfect. Mine is a 92, but then I rememberd I got the harness from an 89. Thanks Greg.

I have 88 and my radio didnt have a constant 12volt power supply. When I ran power to it all my doors locked. I have the keyless entry. My door lock switches havent worked since I've owned it. Anyone know why this would happen?

I wish to do this mod and was wondering if there is an updated and working link to the writeup, both links ion the thread lead no where and I was looking for a wiring diagram to suppliment the initial writeup.

Also Greg, any idea is this will affect my Car alarm that also functions as remote lock unlock?

This has to be the best, most useful post ever. In looking through the posts, I myself posted almost 3 years ago thanking Greg for the super helpful mod. Now, here I am with a "new" 1990 in need of the same upgrade. Long live Greg Smith:clap: :clap:

GLAD THIS HAS COME UP AGAIN!!!
So, I am going to do my 90 with electric door locks with keyless entry.

Should I leave the relays that are already there for the keyless entry?
Can I just tap into the red wire or do I need to run a new power source?
Can I just run a new power source to the relays that are already there?

Going to check out the write up on the windows!!!

Thanks,
Bob:wave1:

Back