• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp Gauge

xrayjeeper83

NAXJA Forum User
I went to the junk yard today and I scored a cluster with gauges for only 15 bucks :) . But the temp guage doesnt register. I installed a new sending unit, and when I am turning the Jeep on the gauge will go all the way to 260 and then back to 100 but it does that wether its connected to the sender or not???? do yall think its a bad gauge or something else. how can I test for a bad gauge?
Andrew

What kind/year of cherokee is it?

Did you:
1.) Get the correct sending unit and specify that you wanted one for a cherokee with gauges, absolutely not one for warning lights when ordering it?

2.) Get the right sending unit and not another sensor. The sending unit goes on the back of the head (on some years) and is a small one wire unit, not the larger 2 wire affair on the thermostat. That only is for the ECU operation.

careful if you pull it from a salvage yard...they break really easily (use deep socket). Myself and many others have had problems with temp sending units from chain stores. Your best bet is to find an OE one from salvage or go to the stealership.

None of the chains I went to had a temperture sensor, they wanted to sell me a temperture switch for the idiot light. Bought one from the dealer for $17.

I just bought one from autozone for 8 bucks. Im going to let it cool and then see if I can get it installed. Thanks for the heads up about it being easily broken

Andrew

xrayjeeper83 said:
I just bought one from autozone for 8 bucks. Im going to let it cool and then see if I can get it installed. Thanks for the heads up about it being easily broken

Let us know if it works. Autozone here does not carry the right one. They only carry the switch. They told me the one for the gauge isn't even in their system.

The sensor on the thermostat housingis for the electric fan. Older Cherokee's didn't have this sensor, or at least it wasn't on the thermostat housing.

The temp sensor for the gauge is practically below the MAP sensor.

It seems to working fine. Runs just a hair above 210 and a good radiator flush should help that.
Ya Blaine I figured that out after going and buying the one that was in the thermostat housing LOL guess that what I get for not doing research first.

Andrew

I just replaced my sneding unit with one from Autozone, and still get nada on the gauge. Should I get one from Jeep and see if that works, or is there something else I should try?

dspilot said:
I just replaced my sneding unit with one from Autozone, and still get nada on the gauge. Should I get one from Jeep and see if that works, or is there something else I should try?

I always forget to add the specs.

1996, 4.0, 4WD

and it was indeed the sending unit that I replaced (back by the firewall).

dspilot said:
You probaby got the one for the switch. The Autozone here couldn't get the right one, so I went to the dealer. It was 17 bucks.

Tom

I got my temp gauge workin today. It was indeed that I needed the OEM part from the stealership ( more than twice what autozone charges).

In talkin to my father in law (mechanic for many, many years), he says that the gauge and sending unit must be calibrated to each other, and the only way to get this match is from OEM stuff.

It was the sending unit by the way. The one by the firewall with a single filament plug. They will try to sell you the one that goes into the t stat, but it has a two filament plug.

Back