• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35's And a Few ?'s

PapaGeno21

NAXJA Forum User
OK guys. My plans were to just go with 3 and 31's. Well, that plan now is getting old, and I want more!

What do you recommend for a set of 35's?

I need to keep flares, well the tops anyways, so how much lift do you think I will need?

Would this work?
5.5" Of lift, Long Arms. 8.8 Rear End, D30 Front, Both at 4.88 gears.
15x8 Rims, 35X12.50 Tires
SYE and Driveshaft
No rear sway bar

How do you think that would work, or should I go with more lift?

I am willing to trim a bit, so you think 5.5 - 6" will be ok?

With trimming anything's doable...

depends how much you trim...

oh and unless you're strictly a finesse driver...

upgrade the 30 to something meatier.

I am running 6" with 35's. I also have Bu$hwackers. You will need to do a good bit of trimming to clear 35's even with 6" of lift. There is a pinch seam on the rear of the front fender wells that will need to be taken care of as well. But the setup you mention will get you in the ball park.

Gil BullyKatz said:
With trimming anything's doable...

depends how much you trim...

oh and unless you're strictly a finesse driver...

upgrade the 30 to something meatier.

I have been beating on a D30 with Warn alloys for over 3 years now without any problems. It is all up to the driver.

TheArsonist21 said:
I am going to stick with the D30 becasue I am a light driver.

Anyways, will I have to remove the plastic upper part of inside the fenders?

Yes, remove them, trim fenders. You could cut the plastic inners up and reuse them, so you dont get crap inbetween the 'body' and the fender, towards the door.

shelbyluvv said:
I have been beating on a D30 with Warn alloys for over 3 years now without any problems. It is all up to the driver.

Exactly...

and the terrain...

The 30's weakness isn't only the shaft size...

brakes leave alot to be desired and lets not even go into the R&P issues...

D30ringgear.jpg

read up:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=97816&highlight=ring+gear

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=89070&highlight=ring+gear

I'm running 5.5" of lift and 35s

Here's my setup
NP231, SYE, 4.56's, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, Optima Red Top, Trimming, Bumpstops, Steering Stops, Rear Disc Brakes, and a few other goodies...

and some pics showing the trimimng, etc. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271502

You WILL have to trim and bumpstop properly. Also, you're a little lacking in info. 15x8" rims will be fine, but you forgot to list a major aspect of it, their backspacing. Anywhere from 4.5-3.25 would be good. I'm running 4.5" and at full flex i rub the top of the spring mound.

I'm running 4.5" with 35s. Some fender trimming, and wheel spacers to get the backspacing I wanted. Very little rubbing.

I think that should be near perfect for 35's. I fit 33's on a 2.75" lift with a fair amount of trimming, so 5.5"s plus trimming should work fine for 35's.
Only one thing... have you thought about what you'll do steering wise? As in strengthening your steering box and things like that.

I would say upgrade those wheels to some 15x10's if you don't want your meats looking like overinflated balloons. I have been running a Dana 30 on 36x13.50's for almost a year. I did shred all the gears in one, but that was because there was a leak that occurred on a roadtrip so the diff was almost completely dry when I pulled it apart. I went to the junkyard and got a new axle for 100 bucks. I have thrashed the hell out of it and it is holding up fine.

XJFire said:
I would say upgrade those wheels to some 15x10's if you don't want your meats looking like overinflated balloons. I have been running a Dana 30 on 36x13.50's for almost a year. I did shred all the gears in one, but that was because there was a leak that occurred on a roadtrip so the diff was almost completely dry when I pulled it apart. I went to the junkyard and got a new axle for 100 bucks. I have thrashed the hell out of it and it is holding up fine.

no, leave the 8" width. unless you like loosing beads. the reason your fine on 10 inch is cause you have 13.5s

the skinnier the wheel, the less likely you are to loose a bead at low psi. there are many people who run 11.5-12.5 on 7" wide rims!!

yea, dont worry about the 30 unless you really start to pound on it. its a decent axle and should hold up fine.

rocklandxjer said:
no, leave the 8" width. unless you like loosing beads. the reason your fine on 10 inch is cause you have 13.5s

the skinnier the wheel, the less likely you are to loose a bead at low psi. there are many people who run 11.5-12.5 on 7" wide rims!!

yea, dont worry about the 30 unless you really start to pound on it. its a decent axle and should hold up fine.

My tires look retarded stuffed into the 10's. I have to run at 15 psi just to get a decent wear pattern.

I am going with 15X8 and I guess 3.75 would be good backspacing.

I am going to have a custom buper made and the arms that hold it on the truck are going to be 1/4" thick steel, and go all the way to the back, so that will be the back plating of the steering box, and then im having a brace made for the other side of the box, so it cant move at all.

Going to grab a V8 ZJ setup for the lift, so the steering is a little beefier..

Also, I dont beat on the truck at all, but eventually im doing long arms and then the locking hubs anyways...

Gil BullyKatz said:
Exactly...

brakes leave alot to be desired and lets not even go into the R&P issues...

D30ringgear.jpg

I love how every anti dana 30 post shows the exact same broken ring and pinion. It appears to be such a common failure that no one else has bothered to take a photo of it?

Ton's of people run hp dana 30's with 35's and no problems at all. Avoid yukon gears and shafts ;)

gil posted that because it was brads.
But I witnessed the carnage inside Bloose's diff at WF.
So that's two members in the MWC alone that have destroyed a D30 R&P

Oh I'm not arguing it doesnt happen, I just find it funny that I see that exact same photo come up all the time, and never any other ;)

-C

Back