• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaking in area of the oil filter

gman

NAXJA Forum User
I have noticed an accumulation of motor oil at the bottom of my 1990 xj whenever I park. I checked under the vehicle and under the hood, I do believe the leak is coming from that piece that the oilfilter is attached to. Does this have seals that can be replaced, or do I need to replace the entire piece.
1. what is the name of it, and what do you suggest I do?

gman said:
I have noticed an accumulation of motor oil at the bottom of my 1990 xj whenever I park. I checked under the vehicle and under the hood, I do believe the leak is coming from that piece that the oilfilter is attached to. Does this have seals that can be replaced, or do I need to replace the entire piece.
1. what is the name of it, and what do you suggest I do?
Yes, there is an O-ring kit available to fix the leak around the filter adapter. I believe it is available only at the dealer, but is not expensive.

Three o-rings, shouldn't cost more than $5 at the dealer. It can be a pain to get the bolt out of the adapter. You'll find discussion about this if you do a search.

Back