• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things I have to do before I can leave, think I can do it??

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have today off and then Mon-Wed to get this done, and I work 40 hours b/w tomorrow and Sunday night. :) So here's the list:

Fab up some rock rails(this will be the third set that I've made, so it shouldn't take THAT long)
Put my tire carrier on and finalize a latch for it
Put endcaps on my bumper and paint the whole thing after I trim it back some
weld up my rear quarter panels
do up an LCA bracket on my HP30 with 4.56s and then install the axle
Get my friend to install my 4.56s in the 8.25 which he was supposed to do 2 months ago(great mechanic, lousy sense of time)
Install the discs on the 8.25
Trim my BWs in the rear
Find a front DS(this is a major one, but Kudzu has offered to help if all else fails :))
Get a fire extinguisher
Find a spare tire(think I got this taken care of last night)

I'm sure there's more, but that's a healthy list for now. Guess I should go get started ;)

Ary

no wait till the morning before you leave to do the last 3 things, so it will be a thrash run. you better have "too much fun" i still dong know if i will get to go.

I'm in the same boat 1. electric rad. fan
2. rear u-joint
3. fire extinguisher
4. oil change
5. clean the bed

So I here you lol leaving thursday meet yall there!

Well,I painted the SJ,so there's one down. We installed the front locker in the XJ yesterday,so there's two down. I need to finish:
tire carrier latch
build complete front winch bumper from scratch and install winch
Install tow bar for flat towing,buy lights and safety chains
modify doors for easy removal
pack my clothes,food,drinks,camping gear,etc,etc,etc,etc for 4 nights,3 days.
So,you're not alone there,bud!!

GIT-R-DUN!!!!!

Weel I got my tires from Florida and got them mounted. Got the Harmonic Balancer on (sort of) and The roof rack almost done. So I have to finish the roof rack, put the fan on the engine. Mount the roof rack. Get my track bar back and mount it. Sequre everything in the xj! Three speaker boxes and one tool box. Mount the spare on the roof rack and high lift too. Hmm I'm sure there is more. Oh yea test the new 33x12.50 tires on your rims Mike! She looks sweet on 33's!

My TTD list is thankfully short:

*add a couple bolts to the rear bumper & front hook mounts.
*change all oils, wash windows,
*get Rons old rims from Charlotte, mount new 35s (or if the 35s don't show by Tues) mount 33x9.5 on oem steel wheels.
*load Jeep, point west

The 'wish I had done' list is huge.

What I did last week list:

Picked up the HP 30, installed 4.56s, ARB, Hub conversion w/ axles, trimmed the crap out of the coil buckets to work with OTK steering. Cut out and weld on the new truss. Lots of grinding and welding installing the new Claytons LA kit. Install new Currie tracbar. Align front end and work out the little bugs. Mount ARB compressor and switches and electric. Mount limiting straps (I knew I kept Rustys towhook brackets on for a reason;) ). Installed CB and antenna but will probably run the coax when I get there.

Whats left? Trim a little more off my front fenders. Pick up my spare tire from a friend. Change oil and check t-case level. Figure out what tools I'm bringing, do laundry, pack and head east 1400 miles:( .:)

Safe traveling,
Crunch

Ok I got the front of the engine back together and fired her up over the weekend. Have not moved her yet though. Mounted on of the spaeker boxes and working on the other two. Got the Roof rack mostly done. Just have to weld on the rails.

Get that thing together boy!! I expect to see you there!! All I've got left to do is make a latch for the tire carrier,attach two clevis shackles to the front bumper (for the flat towing safety chains),wire up the winch and the lights,check the fluids and I'm outta here!!

My list is down to:

Finish and install front bumper
Work out some type of hood vent (had some cooling problems last trip to uwharrie)
Check, tighten, and grease all suspension parts
Load up the jeep, and do a little more food shopping.

Not too bad. -Tim

Most of my stuff is done, just gotta drain/refil the transfer, and check for water in the diff goo...

Then pack (wishing I just left it packed from last weekend) load the cooler and git outta here for a few days.

good luck everybody and have "too much fun"

my heep has been settin on the bus more ready to go than I am for the last two days, got the father-in-law's jeep loaded on the trailer and fixed his fuel problem, now that's ready to go, I pick up my spare tire wed before I go, throw in the tools/food/clothes, hit the road wed bout 1pm'ish, I'll be settin at crawfords when you all wake up thursday, or unless the rumble of the diesel wakes you up at 3am.

Ok, Got the Roof rack finished, I'll paint it when I get back! Flexed her on a sand hill last night. Rubbs at the back of the front fender flare. Rear appears to be fine. All that is left for today and tonight is to moutn the tire to the rack and the high lift. and mount the rack to the jeep. Oh I also got to sequre the sub and tool box in the rear. Other than go rent a trailer tomorrow and pack I'm there! Two years in the making!

It sounds like there might be a few people up late in camp turning wrenches like last year.

I'm ready to go, just have to pack my camping gear and clothes and I'm outta here tommorow afternoon.

Say it with me, no rain, no rain, no rain.

Guess I'll do the tree huggers a favor and throw another steering box on her tonight so I don't leave a trail of fluid wherever I go.....

Got the broken knuckle fixed last night, steering stops are all messed up though.

Making a new front bumper tonight and getting the soon to be defunct traction bar put back together. Might throw a new set of plugs in the 'ol girl.

Sean

hey sean, will you make me a traction bar too, and install it before we hit the trails on Thrus, oh, and I need a cage too, and a diff skid, and while you're at it, could you shave my 9" Thurs morn too?????

That's not too much to ask is it? :D

Dan, you know I'm the king of last minute mods don't ya :D

It's too bad you're not leaving in the morning, it'd be fun to have the 2 heavies travelin' the road together.

See you folks tomorrow night.

Back