• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hear Ye, Hear Ye.....

Great to Hear the Crawl will be back in Harlan. Now, I have two great NAXJA events to attend next year.

Nick

by then Avon will be able to attend and even mrs crawler will be out there showing the "boys" that women drivers are good too!

Mark

by then Avon will be able to attend and even mrs crawler will be out there showing the "boys" that women drivers are good too!

Mark

Sorry Mark but the women driver showing up the boys has been done. Anyone at that particular Crawl will know what I'm referring to.

However I showed, just like I showed to Harlan the year before and to Tellico years before that. My complaint wasn't the location as much as it was the DICTATION that this is where we are going to ride instead of the option. If you remember the first crawl you had attended, It was decided by the SEC as a whole to try riding at Harlan.

Read here for the voting results from 2008.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=940060&highlight=Crawl+2008

"I don't think you have a clue as to what's available in the SEC to ride as far as parks go."

I just noticed this quote from above. So I got to thinking where all I've wheeled. So here is where I've been:

Wooley's, Coppenger's Cove, Golden Mountain, Aetna, Windrock, Harlan, LBL (Turkey Bay), Morris Mountain, and Tellico. Many of those places more than once. In some I was a passenger.

In the end, I've seen a lot of places and experienced them. I would be willing to bet I've wheeled a fair amount of places by most peoples standards.

Also when you consider that Glenn and Mark have experience with parks that I don't and you collectively compile that, I think we make pretty good decisions.

Sorry Mark but the women driver showing up the boys has been done. Anyone at that particular Crawl will know what I'm referring to.

Since Dawn and I would hang out with Travis and Michelle nearly every month at his shop in Blue Ridge... i guess you re refering to Michele's XJ....

You got a point ... one day my wife will be as famous as Michelle

Mark

oh,,,,and AVON>? i bought it from Travis... lol but she was green with silver flaires

meh, I won't let my wife wheel my junk, she'll make me look bad. Ask the MWC fellas.

i was at the crawl where michelle dropped the driveshaft/axlshaft/ and some other catastrophe that earned her the carnage award....... in fact i think those are parts of her xj on that hunk of junk in my kitchen

Since Dawn and I would hang out with Travis and Michelle nearly every month at his shop in Blue Ridge... i guess you re refering to Michele's XJ....

You got a point ... one day my wife will be as famous as Michelle

Mark

Ahhh you know the teacher well then....

oh,,,,and AVON>? i bought it from Travis... lol but she was green with silver flaires

Good person to buy from with an upstanding rep. I really hated to see them go under. I did not realize you knew them since they rarely come on here.

i was at the crawl where michelle dropped the driveshaft/axlshaft/ and some other catastrophe that earned her the carnage award....... in fact i think those are parts of her xj on that hunk of junk in my kitchen

Yes. Yes they are. :clap:

Ahhh you know the teacher well then....

Good person to buy from with an upstanding rep. I really hated to see them go under. I did not realize you knew them since they rarely come on here.

From what i heard.. Travis applied for a job in New Mexico for Border Patrol.. they never called him for the job.. they ended up losing the business and moving back to FL. I remember Travis saying something along the lines they were going to sell cars again and one day we ll see him on here again.like i said.. it was hear say...

From what i heard.. Travis applied for a job in New Mexico for Border Patrol.. they never called him for the job.. they ended up losing the business and moving back to FL. I remember Travis saying something along the lines they were going to sell cars again and one day we ll see him on here again.like i said.. it was hear say...

Yep. That is perty much what he told me last time I talked to him.

I'm going to agree with ho. Ed you should look in to taking KY. As for the whole dictate thing... It was decided by the SEC BOD based on input from your fellow SEC members as well as MWC members. I know the MWC input doesn't count but based on the success of MWC events I would think our advice would be good advice. There is nothing any chapter pres can do to please all of their members.

I'm going to agree with ho. Ed you should look in to taking KY. As for the whole dictate thing... It was decided by the SEC BOD based on input from your fellow SEC members as well as MWC members. I know the MWC input doesn't count but based on the success of MWC events I would think our advice would be good advice. There is nothing any chapter pres can do to please all of their members.

i appreciate mwc input into our chapter, the purpose of having a "national" event is to get more than just your own chapter involved right? plus i love meetin new people, and especially like meeting people in person that i talk to over the interweb of naxja

Now not to rehash or bring up a bad topic but....

I can see both sides of it pretty clearly. On one side you have a group of people that are going to miss out cause it is way to far away. There are the purists that think the numbero uno trip for the SEC should be in....the SEC. Having it closer to home makes the drive time doable, the gas less, and the trip cheaper. Granted you going to be far away from someone 100% of the time. So there is the local focal view.
Now for the big wig BOD (now that is said with love for well at least 2 of the guys I know and for one who can't be half bad since we have the same name): Your trying to please a whole group of people when a class of ride from stock - built to the hilt rigs. Finding a venue that can support all of those with quality wheeling for 2 days is tough. Let alone enough camping/lodging to hold everyone, with a close enough town for food, water, support, parts etc. Polls for real info on naxja suck plain and simple. No input is really given and those who do chime in often don't step in.
I think it stinks that there is not a central park in the SEC that would support all of those items. Perhaps we as local focal need to support/demand more from the parks close to home. They can only grow if they have the right money coming in. You want rides in your area...yep I sure do. Round your local guys up, find a park you want to see grow, and I bet if you go talk to the owner they would love the help with cutting/fixing trails. Oh and to the BOD's I didn't forget about a tip for y'all. Make a list of the roles you need volunteers to step into as well as a full "job description" so people can tell fully if it's in their capabilities. Just a few ideas and support to both sides of the argument

People keep &itching, BOD keep listening, and let's all keep wheelin.

:D See now don't we all feel better.

Your neighborhood Ogre,
Mr.Shrek

What, is she too nice to it? Seeing how mild-mannered she is, and how you beat the shiz outta your Jeep...

if you think I love to beat on it.....

you should have seen her wheel a stock XJ on 31's at Attica.
Tire smoke and shit.
It's not like she has to fix it herself.

I do agree with Matt about it being in the SEC, BUT... if not Harlan, where? I mean, I feel it's safe to say that everyone on this entire website wishes Tellico was never closed. It was a world known location that was a great place for people to enjoy themselves outdoors. The problem with the South East is that there are few locations that offer adequate facilities, trails, obstacles, parking, etc to host an event like the crawl. Take Morris Mountain for example... Matt and myself, as well as many others with well built rigs had a ton of stuff to do. There were a lot of obstacles that kept us really busy. Heck, I think that is the tiredest I have ever been after a wheeling trip! But, there weren't that many trails and stockers were very limited on what they could do. A lot of places are that way now. I call them obstacle parks because thats really all there is to do.

The other place for the Crawl would have been Windrock. The problem there is that most people, especially those with large families simply cannot afford it. $17 per person per day adds up very quickly. For me its not that big of a deal b/c I always get a year pass, but that's impossible and often pointless for people who live further away.

I'm not siding with anybody here. Like Matt said I don't really like that it's out of the SEC, but in Ed's defense this subject was brought up at the meal in Harlan, and most of the attending SEC agreed that it was where the Crawl should be held. I too like the park, but it does suck that its not even in our part of the country, technically. But the simple fact is: It's Cheap, great wheeling with adequate facilities to support the event. And from what the owner told us, the facilities will be A LOT better next year. Yeah, it does suck that Tellico is gone, but we have to move on.

If not Harlan, then where? Where can we carry out this event that will provide everybody with something fun to do and not break the bank? Harlan wouldn't be my FIRST choice for me personally, but when you consider the entire SEC (remember there are a lot of families and less built jeeps, not everyone is like us cool kids with big tires, LOL!) I really can't think of anywhere else that suits the needs of the event.

Well said Tyler.

Windrock sounds like a cool place, and it's not any farther for me to drive, but I have a problem with charging for passengers in the vehicle, especially at full rates. That would really hurt the people trying to bring families along.

I think that Harlan, while not perfect, is a really good fit for the event. It's reasonably affordable and accessible for everyone from stock to rediculous.

Someday everyone will realize that events have to be centered around places to wheel. We get more and more stuff taken away every year. It's not about the boundaries of a chapter.

The geographical boundaries of states do not translate into a chapter, in real life. It looks great on a map, but concentrations of guys that do what we like to do are always centered around places to wheel.

When Tellico was the unoffical home of the crawl, it was still a 20 hour drive from Florida. Or 12 hours from the gulf coast. Or 12 hours from the eastern part of Virginia. People came or they didn't, but not because of where it was, but because they wanted to participate. Moving the event to their driveway won't make them want to participate anymore than moving it 1000 miles away will.

Moving the crawl to Harlan hasn't changed the people who will show up there, because the same people that lived and breathed the Crawl in Tellico are the ones that are showing up to Harlan. It's not about alienating the SEC's members, it's about creating events to go wheeling.

Ed told me that he couldn't even get Alabama guys to come to Morris Mountain. They bitch and whine about having to drive to Tellico or Harlan, but when it's in their backyard, they don't come either. That tells me it's not about location, it's about desire.

In 5 years, people will drive 20 hours to come to the Crawl at Harlan, just like I do for Winterfest. But that won't happen if you don't pick a great place to wheel, on a consistent weekend, for a set group of volunteers. Ed did just that, now there's nowhere to go but up.

If you're not going to support NAXJA because you think putting the Crawl in a place 3 hours from your house is wrong, I sure wish I had your problem.

Back