• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things that'll make the crawl better

RedHeep

NAXJA #1499
NAXJA Member
I'll start, these are all things that Ed and I talked about saturday night.

Driver's meetings every morning
Registration/Command center in the campground in the evenings (as opposed to up in one of the cabins)

A SEC liquor store in the campground (a guy can dream right?)

Josh is right on here. We were scattered out all over the campground and that resulted in confusion. Hopefully they will have the pavillion built by next year so that can become the meeting spot for everything (drivers & safety meetings, tech inspections, ride departures, pot luck and the Saturday night meal/raffle). This will be resolved for next years event.

You are correct Josh. Any other sugestions? I hated being so far away from everyone too. I hope they get the pavilion done soon. I would like to see more people step up to help Ed and the rest of us out. WE need more trail leaders if it gets any bigger then what we had.

I plan to hit harlan a few more times this year so I can be a trail guide next year if needed.

Oh yeah, they were needed. Almost everyone except Ghost and BrianHO had no experience with the trail system there. Mark and I went in 2008 but were followers, not leaders.

I feel pretty good about the trails now.

I plan to hit harlan a few more times this year so I can be a trail guide next year if needed.

YAY! :clap: :smootch:

Oh yeah, they were needed. Almost everyone except Ghost and BrianHO had no experience with the trail system there. Mark and I went in 2008 but were followers, not leaders.

I feel pretty good about the trails now.

Hey I only had 2008 too. I guess I just have mad map reading, and navigation skills! :conceited:

Hey I only had 2008 too. I guess I just have mad map reading, and navigation skills! :conceited:

But you did some of the leading in 2008 and you talked to a bunch of local wheelers who have been up there.

You do have killer navigation skillz, but look out......I got pretty good this weekend.

Glenn, I'll have to do a pre-run with you though. I don't think I'll be able to make the whole trip with out Little Glenn's smack talk hahaha

Yea notice what I "Learned from the Crawl?" LOL!

How about NOT having it July 4th weekend?
Now, that's not a promise that I'll be there for 11' but, it would increase the odds for me...........not sure about every one else.
I can also see how having it that particular weekend would give some folks more time to play or, an extra day for travel.

I see both sides, just throwing that out there.
Wish I could have made it........

Last edited:
Now, that's not a promise that I'll be there for 11' but, it would increase the odds for me...........not sure about every one else.
I can also see how having it that particular weekend would give some folks more time to play or, an extra day for travel.

You would have enjoyed it Hale, other than the part about me being there giving you a hard time all weekend! :D

You would have enjoyed it Hale, other than the part about me being there giving you a hard time all weekend! :D
Oh, I'm sure I would have too! We'll see how the cards fall next year.

We've talked about that before.

I like it on the 4th weekend. The biggest advantage is the fact that there are fewer rigs on the trails at Harlan over the 4th weekend. The trails are narrow and it could be a big pain if there were other groups besides us up there playing.

Plus most people get a day off work "for free" to help make it a long weekend.

Plus most people get a day off work "for free" to help make it a long weekend.

Damn, that reminds me I gotta be at work in 90 minutes! :(

I will say right now since the last day of June is on a Thursday Next year I will not be able to come up until Friday if the crawl will be over the fourth weekend again, I always have to work the last day of the month.

Ed and I talked about dates saturday night. At this point, keeping the dates the same makes the most sense. Moving it around every year to try and appease different groups of people just makes it confusing and it aggravates the core group of folks that plan for it every year.

Back