• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

better late than never Moab report

xjcase

NAXJA Forum User
It's been a week but I might as well toss em up now.

Moab is awesome, I will be going back sometime hopefully soon. Those that have been know and those who are going will find out.

Got in Friday at around 3, went and ran Fin's N Things quickly then grabbed some food at citymarket and grilled at our sweet campground, riverside oasis.

All the cabins have their own names, there was a schoolhouse, docs, brothel etc...
_MG_3848.jpg

_MG_3842.jpg

Next morning I planned to run something before noon, then meet up with MC01XJ that afternoon to run Hells Revenge - decided to run Cliffhanger which was sweet but i could have done with turning around after the first few obstacles... if the weather had been nicer it might have been more scenic but oh well.

_MG_3861.jpg

_MG_3863.jpg

_MG_3870.jpg

_MG_3875.jpg

On the first of the last two rock ledges on the way out I was trying to get up and slid my left rear tire into a rock at a weird angle, and heard a loud hissing. "Shit, I just ripped a hole in my tire" methinks. Luckily, I only unseated the valvestem a bit, (I blame 4wheel parts for putting metal chrome things over them preventing it from flexing and pulling it out-lesson learned) I was able to push it back in enough that it wasn't leaking badly and climbed all the way to the road. Tire had 2 psi at the top... swapped it out
_MG_3877.jpg

Drove to town, paid $10 to have the valvestem replaced and my tire put back on - grabbed lunch at zaks and then took an hour nap waiting for mc01xj to call me.

He never called :bawl:

Woke up from nap at roughly 3:00, went then decided to go run Hells Revenge solo.

_MG_3880.jpg

_MG_3884.jpg

Took the lookout/hellsgate turnout, and followed some guys in a group down hells gate without knowing what I had to get up on the other side...
_MG_3885.jpg

Right when we got there, a built JK had just fallen into a hole and lost his front left spring- had to get pulled up. I'd never done anything like it before so I was a little scared waiting for all the guys infront of me...

_MG_3887.jpg

Then a guy with a built 4dr jk on 37s also fell in the whole and had to take line

_MG_3897.jpg

Watched a guy in a solid axle swap ranger fly up it no problems, then a grand cherokee, inexperienced driver, make it up but only lost a spring.

I made it up fine except for a quick wheelstand at the end, but all was well

_MG_3907.jpg

_MG_3908.jpg

_MG_3913.jpg

_MG_3919.jpg

_MG_3970.jpg

_MG_3976.jpg

The group infront of me on hells gate turned out to be a funny bunch of guys from socal - lots of hilarious banter on the CB, I ended up following them out and taking a few pictures for their club website for them.

_MG_3980.jpg

A while later, near the tipover challenge, this TJ's wheel fell off. One stud ripped out but the 4 lugs were right next to the wheel luckily
_MG_3998.jpg

Got off hells revenge late, was pitch black out there. Thank god for good lighting and a good navigator up front

next morning was the trifecta, poison spider mesa, golden spike, and gold bar...

I met up with mc01xj finally and his dad and brothers with their buggy and dirtbikes. It was a good day but kind the downside to having two xj's with that crew was that we were the slowest and had to keep catching up with the others all day - made following mike a little rough as he was going pretty quick.

No captions for pictures as the will explain themselves mostly

_MG_4025.jpg

_MG_4026-2.jpg

_MG_4029.jpg

_MG_4048.jpg

_MG_4073.jpg

Our campground right by the bridge
_MG_4077.jpg

_MG_4083.jpg

_MG_4085.jpg

_MG_4098.jpg

_MG_4103.jpg

_MG_4104.jpg

_MG_4105.jpg

_MG_4113.jpg

Man you were going to do Hell's gate by yourself... no spotter?

You are braver than I would be... the first time I did it I had... huge pucker factor :)

very cool. sucks you were solo. gets kinda nerve racking out there because of how much it all looks alike. i think your rig woulda been fine on pritchett - if we get a chance to go out together i think its one you should try :D

Oh yeah, would like to do a few more of the harder trails out there, I didn't encounter anything that was too hard for my jeep and I have no idea how the PO of my jeep got body damage on golden spike...

The only downside was my duratracs were not the stickiest out there, lots of squealing and slipping

My co-pilot spotted me down hells gate and could have gotten me back up the way down but I the spotter from the group I met up with spotted me up the gate -my eyes were on him the whole time.

I'm editing some the video and will put it up later.

killer. ya i wish i knew what other hard trails there were when we went. still a blast none the less....

what pressure were you running in the duratracs? the mtrs were glue out there

I was at 18 which could have been the issue... didn't want to lose a bead out there for any reason. Time for beadlocks!

Back