• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Caliper Question

93JXJ

NAXJA Member #1174
I put an '86 MJ front axle under my '93 XJ (in case you were wondering why - spooled front and rear - w/the disconnect and a posi-locker - I can run 3wd and turn) and just finished putting it back together. My question is the same caliper is on both sides (looks like it has 2 driver side calipers). Bled the brakes and still spongy. I just bought remaned calipers but I was wondering if this is going to fix my problem of no brake pedal (it can't hurt). I guess I'll know in a couple of hours, but I don't want to get out of work, do it and get pi$$ed off again. What is the difference in the 2 different sides (besides how it mounts to the caliper bracket)? Does the piston act any different?
93JXJ

the difference is the bleeder screw. When mounted properly, the bleeder is at the top of the piston chamber. They can be mounted backwards, but bleeding the air out of them will prove impossible.

You bought calipers for the 86 and are using 86 hardware, right? As I recall, there's a break in the middle there (91ish) where the rotors changed height just a touch...it can cause them to lock up if you're swapping from older to newer I believe.

Digger87xj - didn't think about that. That would give me the spongy, no brake pedal. Now I can't wait to get the new calipers on.

Yucca-Man - running all from the '86 (as far as I can tell). On jack stands, the driver side turned free (even being spooled and having to turn the front d/s as well), but the passenger side kind of turn with a lot of force. Don't ask why I didn't keep the spindles out from the '93 (stupidity is the only answer I can come up with).

Very cool, thanks guys. If you see me post more to this message tonight - figure I'm drunk, mad, and ready to let the thing roll down the hill my house is on.

Back