• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you towing with?

I'm currently in between states. I'm in more training and wont know where I'm going to wind up until June/July. It seems pretty straight forward though. Only kit that I found was an 8" lift, and I don't want a tall truck. If anything I would want to lower it 2".

How much does that cost tho? I do not really want to buy a NEW truck anyways, but would be nice.

The Ford 6.0L Diesel fails horribly, and the 6.4L is even worse. I mean really, add .4L of displacement and another turbo with an engine that already has oiling issues. I used to work for a ford dealer, did way too many6.0L swaps and turbo replacements. I did a decent amount of 7.3L swaps, but most of those had a lot of miles on them. The 6.0L's were warranty thats freakin horse crap!

What state do you live in? Do you know anyone that has enough ability to swap stuff?
I thought the 6.4 was a ground up new engine? Something to do with being pissed at Navistar for building them the crappy 6.0 and saying screw it, if you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself! ;)

well if you think bout it they only bring him the 6.0s with problem

03 f350 4x4 6.0 273k egr delete thats it just changed the oil its just luck of the draw

Here is my antique Tow Rig . 1981 Big Block Chevy power and can hold 150 gallons because it gets thirsty while haulin down the highway trying to keep up with the diesel haulers. I need to get my ride on OVERHAULIN and have them put in a Duramax in it.....

2u6pi4p.jpg

Here is what happens when you use all the power you have. You need to bow your head and borrow your nieghbors SuperDuty to bring it back home when it breaks down.

a15xt3.jpg

The Ford 6.0L Diesel fails horribly

In 05, the 6.0L Powerstroke had the fewest warranty claims of any Ford engine (cue a "all Fords are crap" joke). But really, a lot of their reputation lies on their trucks, they found the problems and had them fixed by mid-04. Of course now they're done subcontracting engines and are taking matters into their own hands...

Anyway, I can get in on this tow rig discussion, since I love towing as much as wheeling and I've been guilty of truck envy on more than one occasion. I can't keep up with the Kodiak but here we go:

Bought a Tahoe because it was about the only 1/2 ton that would fit in my small 2 car garage. Pulled OK, sucked on hills and got crap mileage (10 when towing, 10 around town unloaded). And the motor spun two bearings a week after I got it. This is where a lifelong GM guy says "screw it:"

n13704148_46642018_4322226.jpg

I knew I wanted a diesel but put it off a while. Eventually I couldn't fight it anymore, picked up a crew cab 7.3 Powerstroke the day before WF10. I wanted something capable but still small enough to drive around town (no dualies). This is my DD:

IMG00045-20100305-1045.jpg

Replaced my old Ferd P/U with this.....

IM001011.jpg

360 cubic inches of AMC smexy....

I just need to get a hitch with the proper weight rating and do some other misc. stuff to her. Getting rid of the manual tranny was one of the big driving factors.. plus having seating for six in the Waggy is a bonus.

Prepare to get single digit MPG towing with that beast. I know from experience. Let me know if you want a few power tweak ideas, I had my '90 running like a champ.

truckpics009.jpg

'99 2500, 24v 4500 241, gets about 16 towing the xj at 80 on the interstate:patriot:

Prepare to get single digit MPG towing with that beast. I know from experience. Let me know if you want a few power tweak ideas, I had my '90 running like a champ.

That would be cool.... thanks. Yours kinda inspired my desire to get one.

Single digits wouldn't be too bad.. the Ferd didn't do that much better.

you guys aught to ask tommy to post some time slips up of that first gen....it really moves :D
towing the newest member of the family home yesterday....
IMG00374.jpg

IMG00375.jpg

moving from RRC to Colorado
IMG00159.jpg

98 Chevy C3500
454 zz502 cam injectors custom tune MSD 6AL etc etc
NV4500 luk clutch
FF14 bolt locked
18 empty 14 with the jeep on the back@ 80+

Last edited:
And yes I know there is a hubcap cover missing on the passengers side tire.

Just picked this up today.

mac 'should do a good job towing the 34ft trailer' gyvr

How's that "not having a car payment" thing workin out? LOL. Of course, gorgeous rig though.

have yet to tow the xj with her (need a trailer and somewhere to put it first lol) but it just laughed at the 19' boat and the jet ski that I've towed... and the PO used it to tow a 32' travel trailer

71 f-250 camper special, mildly built 390, c6 w/shift kit, 4.10s, autofab 3" kit in the front. took a little over 2 years to get her to look like this... and the xj in stock form is hiding behind her haha

1238821260_l.jpg

97 F350 4x4 460 5spd. 11mpg loaded or unloaded.. She's not the quickest tow rig but she gets me to the trails and camping spots..

275436897029_0_0.jpg

b8.jpg

setup.jpg

Just a question to those of you that tow with an s10, Dakota, Durango, and other similar sized small SUVs that weighs about the same as a XJ on a flatbed trailer. WTH are you thinking? The XJ+trailer combo does out weigh your tow rig. In the towing world that = bad things in stopping and handling an emergency maneuver. Flat towing on the other hand is okish IMO with an equal or grater than vehicle.
/rant off

I tow with a '95 F250 XLT 7.3L turbo diesel. sorry no pics from work :(

Just a question to those of you that tow with an s10, Dakota, Durango, and other similar sized small SUVs that weighs about the same as a XJ on a flatbed trailer. WTH are you thinking? The XJ+trailer combo does out weigh your tow rig. In the towing world that = bad things in stopping and handling an emergency maneuver. Flat towing on the other hand is okish IMO with an equal or grater than vehicle.
/rant off

Winterfestoh-ten062.jpg

Winterfestoh-ten063.jpg

2002 Chevy Blazer ZR-2 4WD

4.3L Vortec with bunch of bolt-on mods
built 4L60E with shift kit and trans cooler
4.56 gears front/rear, selectable locker rear
33x12.50R15 BFG A/T on 15x8 rims

It do the job... thats all

It do the job just fine as long as I dont go too fast (soft sidewall result in poor handling) even I can do 90 mph all day long if I want but its a nono

/rant off

I tow with a '95 F250 XLT 7.3L turbo diesel. sorry no pics from work :(

how does that work with a big rig the tractors are lighter than the trailers i have a fifth wheel i tow with my 03 powerstroke weighs 9900 gvwr= more than the truck

Back