• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Racing against the grain

So when and where is the first wheeling trip?

Dixie Run in two weeks. But...I know you're not going to that :looney:

I wanna go back to Uwharrie or Gulches sometime soon. Events are fun, but wheeling with a couple friends is better.

Dixie Run in two weeks. But...I know you're not going to that :looney:

I wanna go back to Uwharrie or Gulches sometime soon. Events are fun, but wheeling with a couple friends is better.

Yea I have not been to Gulches this year yet. Yea Dixie run isn't in the cards this year.

Did the electric fan thing to fix my TJ 4.0 cooling setup in an XJ. interesting growing pains with that swap.

In other news, traction bar is in and its wicked. No more axle wrap. Major increase in torque transfer to the wheels. Off the line starts just got more fun.

It was hard to figured out what side to roll with. Passenger side means you can run the normal exhaust configuration (Which I couldn't anyway because of the drive shaft angle change with the manual swap). But its the cleanest spot to use. Driver side means I would have to move the Ebrake assembly and the EVAP canister. Always choose the lesser of two evils.

Next project is doing some exhaust work and pushing my rear air bumps back a tad. Then gusseting the snot out of them.

Was screwing around at the shop and ended up somehow killing a 90 degree fitting on the front passenger shock. Now to figure out why exactly it went. Not sure if the reservoir came loose or the shock crashed into the fender.

1b47b3b511c579982572fb749d5715d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Circle the wagons, looks like my little race wish came true. CHeRoKeE Short course race October 27th at Dirty Turtle Offroad Park. Time to start dialing her and get some practice laps in. I might end up over-prepared lol.

baf1fb6a43b250061196e1386a17644c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the electric fan thing to fix my TJ 4.0 cooling setup in an XJ. interesting growing pains with that swap.

In other news, traction bar is in and its wicked. No more axle wrap. Major increase in torque transfer to the wheels. Off the line starts just got more fun.

It was hard to figured out what side to roll with. Passenger side means you can run the normal exhaust configuration (Which I couldn't anyway because of the drive shaft angle change with the manual swap). But its the cleanest spot to use. Driver side means I would have to move the Ebrake assembly and the EVAP canister. Always choose the lesser of two evils.

Next project is doing some exhaust work and pushing my rear air bumps back a tad. Then gusseting the snot out of them.

I love your use of a link on the traction bar. That would solve all kinds of issues. I'm going to copy your idea. Very nice build, and good luck at the short course race.

I love your use of a link on the traction bar. That would solve all kinds of issues. I'm going to copy your idea. Very nice build, and good luck at the short course race.

Thanks! Go right on ahead. Make sure you have some sort of shackle at the frame mount to allow the traction bar to move forward and backward a little bit during articulation. Typically .25-.5" so Im told.

Finally got exhaust back on this thing. I can hear myself think now. Its a Magnaflow something. I didn't know just how many different shapes and sizes they make mufflers. Found the perfect size to fit between the traction bar and driveshaft.

Rear bumps got new gusset thingies. The thought of jumping as they were was sketch.

Went the the Jeep Jamboree USA Gateway to the Cumberlands last weekend. Surpisingly an amazing time. Signed up for the two top trails and was not disappointed. Tough trails with lots of slider action. Working on a highlight video.

Now I'm loading back up on the trailer and doing a short course beater race at Dirty Turtle Offroad Park at the Boo Bash tomorrow night. Haven't touched a thing, because there's no need other than a once over.

Going Hydro assist.

New Blue Top Steering Box installed with an ironman box spacer. The box is pretty wicked. Ryan the owner over at Blue Top Steering Gears Inc is probably the coolest dude ever. Best customer service I have ever had in a long time. I ordered the box last Monday night at midnight. He calls me at 8:30am the next day to ask what kind of fittings I wanted on the box for the hydraulic lines. Said it would ship that day and it did. Amazing turn around. Not to mention to advice and enthusiasm he has with what he does. He definitely stands behind his products and you call his cell phone directly. Much like how we roll at ironman. I would recommend him, haven't even tested the box yet lol. We'll see.

I ordred a PSC 1.75x8" Ram (I think thats more than enough stroke length) comes with tabs and hardware. Its still inbound.

I will be making my own lines locally for the box and ram. Making my own clamp for the ram. PSC makes one for a 1.5" rod, but its $75. No thanks.

Total cost after core refund so far is $295 for the box, $180 for the ram assist kit (no lines). No horrible at all. Just need to get lines made.

Went to Uwharrie this weekend with some NAXJA buddies. It was a good fully day wheeling. No serious breakage from anyone. I did bust my sector shaft nut sleeve loose and my rod end came loose at the pitman arm (over reamed..its been an issue) from that red clay mud pit. I went way to fast through there and slammed into the side wall. Ended up with barely any left turn.

Hate I missed it but I did have fun at the new place. Was denied twice and had to call it a day when I broke a 35 spline rear shaft..... :(

Hate I missed it but I did have fun at the new place. Was denied twice and had to call it a day when I broke a 35 spline rear shaft..... :(

We were surprised there were only 4 of us. We were expecting a lot more to show. Trails were crowded from the Veterans Day ride but it was fun nonetheless. I quite enjoy the smaller groups.

Sucks you broke a shaft. With your style its bound to happen. Same here to be honest.

Been awhile. Working on mounting the Ram assist. Made a clamp to use. Waiting on the front skid system we designed to guard the ram behind the tie rod. I don't have pics of the drawings but should be getting our first pieces this week.

Until then she sits for a minute until I can get a new pitman on and the ram at least mounted so I can figure out line lengths for the box. Then Power steering cooler and filter.

January 6th is a shindig at the Flats so I have to get her moving by the time I leave for Christmas.

Hydro assist is done. Testing Pending for this weekend. We designed our own pretty cool steering skid as well.

Its a 1.75" x 8" PSC Ram. More than enough for this build.

Still have get the rest of air out the system. There's a lot. Too cold to continue tonight.

Had to swap out the 8" stroke ram because I'm an idiot. Basically for a Saginaw box you need a 6" stroke ram and nothing bigger. Even when your box is at full lock, the ram is still pushing. So your hydraulic ram vs your knuckle is a very one sided scenario. Got it all fixed now.

Power steering cooler is also installed with a 4" Spal fan. Haven't wired that in yet though.

Steering couldn't be more happy right bow.

I guess that is with a D30? Mine is an 8" stroke I think....

I guess that is with a D30? Mine is an 8" stroke I think....

This is a Rubi D44. Same width as a 30 though. Its more about what the box calls for. A Saginaw box calls for 1.5 turns of the wheel for left or right, which moves the steering 3" left or right. 6" takes the cake. Once the steering is at full lock, pressure is still pushing the ram out which means an extra inch of stroke would push and basically try and rip my knuckles off or just break something else.

Got my Dirtbound Offroad front bumper hoop bits in. This is the first step in bracing the fire wall to the bumper. I will say I wish it was a 1.75" diameter tube like the rest of the cage, but I think this will due for my application.

Rigid lights are on there way. Super stoked. Two blue pods, a 10" white single row bar and a flasher unit for being really annoying. Trick tabs from Barnes4wd also inbound for mounting.

Also Max threw in some of these awesome Bomb bottle openers. Apparently its a random thing they do. Well played.

Made this panel happen today. Decided to just use the whole cover to mount the switch panel so it sits perfectly flush. If I was cool I'd make one that screws in where the old OEM switches use to mount to, but I'm not because I'm a rebel.

The idea for this panel is to house my Aux switches for power steering cooler, auxiliary fan, light bar, light pods, and flasher switch for the lights. Also an extra for whatever else in the future. Oh yeah and and a dual USB power outlet.

I've ordered actual wire plugs off amazon and a handful of relays, plus 6 different colored 16awg wire. Everything will be color coded properly for each accessory. I've decided its time to start taking a cleaner approach to wiring. My remote PDC was one thing, but messy wires that are only black and red all over gets annoying. Time to start making proper wiring harnesses.

Back