• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90' XJ build..

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
I've never had a build thread.. And regret it.. Would be nice to be able to look back and remember when I did this or that.. :wave1:

Picked this jeep up in september of 2012.. $700 brought her home..
It has the typical renix problems, Leaking rear seal, Everything caked in 1/2" of Black Crisco thick grease.. no front end in 4wd.. Leaking Coolant bottle etc etc..

Started with swapping on some 30" Tires and Rubicon 16" wheels, Blacked out tail lights.. aswell as a Stereo and speakers..

A few days later I tackled the Rear main seal/Oil pan gasket leak..

While I was in there, I painted the Pan and fixed the front axle disconnect problem.. Aswell as installing the Yellow ford 19lb injectors (iirc.. they are ford?)

After putting it all together, I discovered an old problem i had forgotten about..
Renix oil filters are different :firedevil

after fixing that and picking up the correct filter, I drove it a few times.. the Injectors really helped on throttle response!!

I took it out on a little adventure.. IIRC it was the Mt.Hood Lake tour, with Gold_Cobra, a Member formally known as Nightfoam, and a really cool guy in a Kia..

This trip ended in a slight disaster.. I discovered the 2 other O-rings in the fuel system i had neglected to swap out.. and of course, I developed a Fuel leak at the regulator.. A kickass dude in a Subaru, rushed too us with O-rings and Gorilla Tape.. we were able to patch up the leak and I made my way safely back to town..

Shortly after fixing this issue, I took the XJ to work one morning, Only to get halfway and have the transmission completely stop shifting out of 1st gear.. so I parked it..

and it sat for 4 months :roflmao:

One day last month, I swapped in a new TPS, and gave it a jump start.. for some reason my brand new Excide Orbital XCD battery refused to hold a charge

after firing it up and cleaning out some of the winter moisture issues that arose from it sitting with a leaky wing window.. I Put it on insurance and finally got it Tagged and titled

I'll be updating as i go!

I've been questioning the oil pressure with this jeep since after i did the rear main seal.... So i picked up a Decent cheap Pressure gauge

Sure enough it runs a little on the low side.. but everything I research says that's typical of a Renix 4.0 and it's within factory spec.

Replacing the Oil pump is on my list as a priority, but with what i have researched, I am still in the Safe zone and have some time:eek:

I picked up a cheap XJ to part out and stock up on spare/replacement parts

Another problem I had been having was the Charging system, Just having my fan on was enough to drop the voltage into the red, so it was time to start the Basic's.. First off! Blue top! the Excide Orbital had Failed for a second time.. Still being within warranty, I got a refund and bought a Blue top!

Then it was Cables!
I Put a new large Ground strap from Block-to-firewall aswell as replaced the Battery-to-block ground, and added 2 Extra Grounds, Battery-to-fender & a second Block-to-firewall.. And also replaced the Positive wires aswell, and added a secondary Alternator positive, that goes straight to the Battery..

Everything seemed better.. but i still wasnt "Golden" So with a little Arm-twisting from a fellow Parts-hoarder.. I picked up a 110amp High-output Renix Alternator..

Monday night I started a phase of Maintenance.. new Waterpump/thermostat/Clutch fan/Open cooling systems radiator & bottle/Idler pulley..

Unfortunetly, the waterpump that I have held onto for 80 thousand years.. does not work for my application.. and running low on funds, I regretfully had to Delay the waterpump replacement, Irritating for sure.

I also picked up a RADesigns Rail II shifter, Used from a Fellow member (98CherokeeSport..aka Brandon) and Ordered a Set of Brown dog Motor mounts! (Awesome Naxja Discount!)

I am slowly moseing the front end back together.. While i wait for the Motor mounts to arrive.. I'll probably Pick up a waterpump friday aswell..

Looks good Scott. What are your future plans?
As of right now, I have a Complete 3" lift put together, Shocks/arms/trackbar/springs/leafs/shackles/brake lines/Bumpstops/T-case drop.... I Plan to pick up a set of 31" tires and run the basic 3" lift & 31's for now..

I have factory hooks to install up front, and a Tank skid/rock sliders to install, I plan to rock it like that for a couple months.. The idea is a good solid DD/WW rig. Honestly, I'm not "In love" with this XJ.. If that changes.. Then We'll see what happens over the summer.... At this time, the "Plan" is find another 5.9/Late model/YJ to put my Claytons/Axles/tires under.. And slap a Grand krawlers sticker on it and sell it all for $18k

Last edited:
On my RENIX, the oil pressure would be in the mid 60's after about 1100RPM's. It would be down about 10 at idle. From everything I read its normal, so I think you will be ok there.

My old Renix had similar oil pressure, about 10-15 at idle and 50-60 above 1500 RPM, IIRC. It also had the same awful RMS leak, non working vacuum disconnect, and closed cooling system issues. :laugh: Ran like a top though.

Anyway, nice looking XJ. You don't see too many black older models around.

Last edited:
well.. It's been a week, and my motor mounts havnt even been "Made" yet.. So I'll just install them at a later time..

I got everything buttoned up, and Redjeep2.0 showed up.. He helped me eliminate some of the Renix garbage.. a whole pile of it!

Converting to the Open cooling system is relatively easy, Pick up a 92+ Open radiator, and an open cooling system bottle, and about 6 feet of 7/8" ID Radiator hose..

..Eliminate the Closed bottle/tray.. Pull the two heater core hoses, as well as the smaller thermostat housing hose, and The Smaller waterpump hose.. *You should also have a "Heater control valve" inline somewhere in all that.. It's vacuum actuated*.. Mine had been eliminated..

Run your new hose Bottom Heater core port, to Smaller waterpump pipe.

then run a hose from your thermostat to the top port..

Mount your new Overflow bottle higher then the radiator by at least 50% (iirc?)
Run a small 1/4" ID hose from the Nipple right below the radiator cap, to the Overflow bottle..

Done :thumbup:

I plan to add a Heater valve next trip to the Junkyard.. for now I (or..should i say Nick) Ziptied the hoses together with the Vacuum line and have a spliced spot to add the Valve later on..

While in there, Nick cleaned up a bunch of the Renix mess.. Thanks nick! :thumbup:

My renix has slowly lost most of its renixness over the years I think I'm down to two or three vacuum lines and I still have the closed cooling system. I should have just done what you did six years ago.

I've been holding on to a few parts from my OD Green XJ.. One of the parts I kept was the CCV vacuum setup because it was relatively new when I parted that XJ out..

Found a slight problem, that maybe could relate to my Poor idle?

Went out to my Spare motors, and found just what i needed

Tuh duh!!

Also found a New Waterpump in my Long-term spare parts pile in my Basement decided to get that done today, I think the other one i have held on to is for a 4.0 ZJ? Idk.. its a different Pulley surface.. but still Reverse rotation?

Now i need to pick up a new hose to connect the radiator and Overflow tank.. aswell as a new Valve cover gasket/front CCV valve cover Tube..

:roll:

Finally got around to putting the front tow hooks in
A425C1F8-D50B-4E25-9906-C8AC7516BD3E-7255-000005C51C66D6F4_zpsb55e89bc.jpg

Also decided that turning 15 feet of 2x6 into sliders. Was better then rocker cutouts for this rig. Already had the steel.
They look goofy with stock height on 30s. But that will change soon enough!
E61AAE37-A758-40FB-A568-0ED3582BD418-7255-000005C35F9BF10C_zps317f3250.jpg

5A83687A-6371-41A4-8B31-3EAA41B722EC-7255-000005C667D4EE3C_zps41cfccdd.jpg

69252957-E635-4D97-8A8B-7C2B5B447246-7255-000005C419C51D91_zpsfb75afa8.jpg

Thanks CJ @bdc fab, for the help!

So. Added some V8 Zj coils/second isolator. And a set of 1.5" shackles

Also swapped in my 3" lift pro comp shocks and ditched the rear sway bar

B125EF90-786D-4B85-AF2F-DBE327EAA22D-419-0000001BE3B4F1C2_zpsbc78cd78.jpg

C46E0855-9447-46F0-873A-54605848D110-419-0000001BCDD32BB8_zps293fa65f.jpg

Looks ready for action!

Took it out for a taste of the woods and fresh air..

(Photo courtesy of Redjeep2.0)

How'd it do?

Back