• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dates for 2006?

XJ16FW

NAXJA Forum User
Do we have the dates for Moab 2006 yet? I have to plan a trip like that way in advance.

I actually have already put it down for my only week of vacation next year! I am planning on comming with the wrangler this year though. Just dont let me be a trail leader, I dont want to embarrass anyone with my mad skillz yo'.

When will we have a forum up for this run?

Scrappy said:
When will we have a forum up for this run?

next summer or therabouts i'd guess...

Hey isn't it like the anniversary of the MJ or something??

My first time wheeling in Moab was during the last week of October 2005. I've wanted to go for six years and we finally got to fly over with some friends, renting some Wranglers from Canyonlands. Fortunately we booked our rentals earlier in the year as when we arrived we also found that it was the Jeep Jamboree weekend and Moab was very busy.

A friendly couple in a dark metalic green XJ turned up a few days late and missed the Jamboree thinking they were early. I can't remember their names or from what State, but I'm sure they were NAXJA members. If you are reading, thanks for making us feel welcome. We eventually got to drive a little bit of Poison Spider on our last day before giving the Jeeps back. We got past Waterfall and turned around at the Wedgy when it started to rain.

Moab had such an impact on me that I've worked out if I don't wheel at home this year, I can just about afford to ship my XJ over from the United Kingdom and spend almost a month wheeling in Utah and Colorado during October 2006. That is if officials will allow my Jeep to be driven on US roads. It's Right Hand Drive and got this sticker on the door that says 'Export Model' when translated this means 'It may have been born here, but it ain't allowed back to stay'.

I have found a freight forwarder and got a good return trip price. I've almost worked out my route from New York and most importantly got permission from Rachel to go. She's flying over with the kids for two weeks but I'll be away for five. My Jeep will be gone for 5-months! Can I join you guys on the trail when I get there?

Mapquest reckons it's a 32hr drive to Moab from New York. I'm not planning to drive more than 8hrs a day, so that's at least a four day drive. Is that do-able? Should I allow five days each way?

The other little problem I have is that my XJ normally runs on Propane. It can still run on Gasoline but we only have 95RON & 98RON (Research Octane) in the UK. I think 95RON equates to 91PON (Pump Octane) in the USA. Is 91 commonly available across the USA? I don't want to start having engine problems once I get there.

I will be greatful for any information concerning what route to take from New York and any advice on what I need to do to get my visiting modified XJ legal to drive in the USA. I would like to drop by at the Jeep factory on the way, it can't be everyday that an export model comes back for a visit.

Significant vehicle mods:-
33x12.50R15 on 15x8 AR767, 4.56 gears TrueTracs front and rear
4.5-5" lift, front end Rusty's, back end is UK made military wrap leaf.
Major body surgery (done properly) with trimmed Bushwackers.
ZJ rear disks, no-ABS but pump still fitted. Deactivated ABS passes UK MoT safety test.
Italian made BRC Propane (LPG) fuel system.

We would be more than happy to have you come to any of our wheeling trips here in Utah.

You should have no problems with the fuel here, you can also get propane at a few places. 91 octane is everywhere around Utah, and should be every where else. If you are coming from NY, either get on I-70 or I-80 and head west to Utah. If you take I-70 hang a left where it says Moab and you are there, I-80 easier to get to Utah on it, once you get here, more difficult to get to Moab. Head south to HWY 6 then east on I-70 til you get to Moab turn off.

From NY, take the NJ turnpike south to exit 6 to the PA turnpike to I-70 to Moab.

0313 said:
We would be more than happy to have you come to any of our wheeling trips here in Utah.

You should have no problems with the fuel here, you can also get propane at a few places. 91 octane is everywhere around Utah, and should be every where else. If you are coming from NY, either get on I-70 or I-80 and head west to Utah. If you take I-70 hang a left where it says Moab and you are there, I-80 easier to get to Utah on it, once you get here, more difficult to get to Moab. Head south to HWY 6 then east on I-70 til you get to Moab turn off.
You also shouldn't have problems driving it here. I see European plates on vehicles all the time here. I just don't think you are allowed to permanently import them for sale.

Thanks for the advice. The shipping time is less than I thought, I had been going by a figure for a west coast shipment and east coast to Europe is typically 10 to 14 days.

Anyone from New York planning to drive to Moab for the October event?

Back