• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking at buying a TIG

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I have been welding for 50 years but my TIG literally blew up about 10 years ago and I am thinking of replacing it. I am looking at something capable of 1/4" aluminum.

I have been looking at an Eastwood 200 amp model on sale for just under $700. Anybody have any experience with these. I have also been looking at some Chinese made (aren't they all) units for around the same price but they have more features and capabilities.

I am not interested in spending $1000 or more.

I bought the Eastwood just over a year ago, it has met my need well. I have a big mig, so the tig is dedicated to stainless and aluminum. I think you would have a tough time doing better for the price.

1/4" aluminum likes a bigger machine.....Its amazing how much the aluminum sucks the heat away.

I have a Miller Syncrowave 200 (and am learning myself)

I have a 200 amp Chinese inverter unit, it will do 1/4" aluminum but not the way I am used to doing it with an old school giant-ass Lincoln !
Takes a long time to get the heat up.
The 1/4" ratings on these inverter machines is really for steel.

ESAB has some small unit's in the range. And have rebates now. I have their older Caddy 200 Mig and it's great. Nothing on the Eastwood.

I have an ESAB as well and would highly recommend it. I've only had it for about 2 years now so I can't attest to its longevity beyond that, but so far I've put quite a few hours on it and it's worked flawlessly.

Plus it's an American company, and I like that :us:

I should mention, the unit I have is a 3 in 1; TIG-ARC-PLASMA I have used the tig and plasma and both work very well. It may be worth your time to look into some of these type machines that are out there.
All told after buying a filled Argon bottle I am into it about $900.00
2uonntg.jpg

I looked at ASAB's website and it appears that to get into a AC/DC high frequency unit you are looking at something like this model which is likely way north of your budget.

https://www.esabna.com/us/en/products/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.product&productCode=949400.00

Good luck with your hunt !

I have a buddy that has a bunch of welders. After the Miller 211 he starting buying Chinese ones off Amazon because the reviews were good and he wanted to save some money. He has the AHP 200 AC/DC TIG welder:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AHP-Alpha-TIG-200X-TIG-Stick-Welder-Alpha-TIG-200X/205350929

It's not currently available on Amazon at a reasonable price but I found this one and confirmed the link with him. He says it will cut 1/4" aluminum. He also says you can't beat the weld quality for the price. He said the only bad thing about it is for warranty you either ship it to them at your expense, or they will ship you a new main board for you to install yourself. :laugh2:

Back