• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Minimum Requirements

I have a tow hook question:

I bought a pair of rear two hooks from 4x4trailhunters.com a few years ago (this vendor is now non-existant, it seems) for my first XJ, and only ever installed one (the driver's side one). I plan on installing the leftover passenger-side one on my new XJ and using that as my rear tow point at Winterfest. It seems not many people have seen this tow hook and I thought I would ask about it now just to be safe.

Unfortunately I can't find any pictures (and haven't installed mine yet), but it's an L-shaped bracket that goes under the framerail and ties into the rear crossmember as well as a nutsert that fits into the framerail. There are five bolts attaching it and both pieces are 1/4" thick.

Is there any reason why the MWC would find this not appropriate? I will get pictures up when I actually install the thing, if necessary.

And the one I had mounted to my first XJ passed tech inspection at NAXJA's 2006 NAC-Fest, and held up to several pulls without budging.

Depends.

The is left up to the trail leader after the pre-run on Friday. Orange can be easy or impossible, depends on the weather.

Going on past experience, and this is NOT a guarantee, at least 1 locker, mud tires, and a willingness to accept some damage.

Rev

Cool sounds good to me. Chicks dig body damage anyways, right? lol

Depends.

The is left up to the trail leader after the pre-run on Friday. Orange can be easy or impossible, depends on the weather.

Going on past experience, and this is NOT a guarantee, at least 1 locker, mud tires, and a willingness to accept some damage.

Rev

These past two weekends it was so wet that I wouldn't let a cherokee down orange without at least 32s, 33s would be better and one locker...its a muddy, muddy, muddy mess right now...but in 2.5 months it could be completely dry (highly doubt it)...there was deep water in places I had never seen water before...like they said it all depends on the weather conditions...

mac 'finally found the "true" trail head for orange last weekend' gyvr

Maybe.

It needs to tie to the frame, not just the bumper. It also needs to be fitted with the correct sized hook or shackle so that a strap may be attached to it.

It would be FAR from the preferred 2" receiver...but it will work, barely.

Rev

Last edited:
im not yet a paid naxja member but used to have a xj with a account and recently got a new one and been building it. i plan on starting a membership soon. Ive been to the badlands a few times before, mostly went to the cliffs tho i was wondering if i start a member ship if i can join the group for winterfest?! let me kno thank you Brian!

im not yet a paid naxja member but used to have a xj with a account and recently got a new one and been building it. i plan on starting a membership soon. Ive been to the badlands a few times before, mostly went to the cliffs tho i was wondering if i start a member ship if i can join the group for winterfest?! let me kno thank you Brian!
YOu can come to WF while being a forum user. It was 30 bucks IIRC last year. We'd be glad to have you as long as you meet the safety requirements!

Hey Brian, you dont have to be a paid member to come to Winterfest. You will be required to meet all the safety requirements that everyone else does as well as pay the reistration for the event and associated park fees. As much as we would love to see you be a paying member of NAXJA, it is not currently a requirement to attend Winterfest. Hope to see you there!

Thanx alot guys i will definitely be there then thank you for the information itll be nice to meet every one you guys seem like a good group. i will be sure to meet all requirements. im pumped thanx guys!!!

Maybe.

It needs to tie to the frame, not just the bumper. It also needs to be fitted with the correct sized hook or shackle so that a strap may be attached to it.

It would be FAR from the preferred 2" receiver...but it will work, barely.

Rev

Its a reese style just has a 1" reciever. I will make sure its tied into the frame when I bolt it up.

IIRC, I squeezed through Rev's Tech Inspection with a class I reciever @ my first WF.

i dont have front "tow hooks". but i do have a full tube bumper that has brackets going abt 10" up the unibody and is held in with grade 8 bolts. ive always used it to pull/get pulled and its done just fine. will that pass?

Back