• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

penrose 4-17

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHA!! $22k?!?!?!? Funny he doesn't mention it being on its lid sunday... Its worth perhaps half that, in my opinion, and I'm a flatfender fan!

edit -- I see the ad was posted pre-sunday-roll, so I retract my criticism... but not on the price.

don't get me wrong, I love a flat fender, and a linked one like that is pretty sweet -- but he's high if he thinks its worth $22k on the market, and the only way he spent $50k building it is if he outsourced every single bolt, bead and wire nut...

don't get me wrong, I love a flat fender, and a linked one like that is pretty sweet -- but he's high if he thinks its worth $22k on the market, and the only way he spent $50k building it is if he outsourced every single bolt, bead and wire nut...
im pretty sure the guy that went with us just bought it....
he didnt seem very comfortable in it. he was scared to run patriot...
he forgot to engage the lockers a few times and got stuck on liberty.
so more than likely the guy that went with us just dropped 20k on it! hahaha:doh:

Just goes to show you, there's always someone out there that can't build and is willing to spend more than he should to buy.

Just goes to show you, there's always someone out there that can't build and is willing to spend more than he should to buy.
i kinda felt that way....
i payed 10k for mine.
but for me to do everything that mine has done would easily cost me over 25k.
so really, i dont feel too bad... haha
going down liberty, my xj was out performing the willys.
so was kiefer's and garrett's.

i dont see how they put 50k into it and selling it for 22k....
if that would have been the case with my jeep.... i wouldnt have it! lol

i got my money's worth for sure... :D
he did not....:tears:

dont get me wrong! that was one of my favorite rigs there.... but it didnt perform very good for having 50k invested.... just sayin

Last edited:
sounds like "operator error" -- that looks to be a pretty well built willy's. Although I would like a stock windshield better than the goofy bug look.

sounds like "operator error" -- that looks to be a pretty well built willy's. Although I would like a stock windshield better than the goofy bug look.
true story!
the whole thing didn't have ANY rock rash before the trip. now it does!!!!:clap:

i like it better with the rock rash!
im pretty sure that willys has never seen a trail like patriot in its life until then! ether has the driver for that matter.
but it made it through!!! thats all that matters

Last edited:
That willys was built by spydertrax, its a custom frame and everything. Its an awesome rig. But not 22k awesome

my thoughts exactly.

ya that was proracedriver's friend.
its been his rig for a while, he specifically stated driving it to washington and back no problem. those are spider 9's with the arb's that are computer activated, hence the sensor on the top of the housing....it detects slip on one side, and activates the compressor to engage the arb ( from what he said and i understood) it was a very tippy rig, but that was due to the SUPER short coils front and rear. they looked like stock tj rears on all 4 corners. redone coils with longer shocks or coilovers and that rig would be amazing. everything on that rig is a custom piece. its basically a tube buggy with a willys front clip. easily could run 40's on those axles. look at buggies with cheaper axles and they still want 17k+. so his pricing is very fair in my eyes.

buggy thats platable and easily able to run 40's.....gold

Sorry Mike, but if you can put $2200 in a rig (and I'm barely exaggerating) and run circles around this guy on Patriot, two things are happening -- (1) his $22k rig is only gold if its plated in it, and (2) he has some serious operator error going on. Only reason to spend that kind of smack on a rig is if you can't/won't build it yourself.

i wouldnt say i walked circles around anything hahaha....

but i do know what youre saying. i think he was new to the wheeling thing. and it was for sure his first time down there and on a trail like that. so some issues are to be expcted for sure....

i just think in the right hands with a few tweaks to the suspension it would hang in there with rigs like that of wally and steve on co4x4

biggest problem was the 9's were narrowed :doh:

That's the thing, if you're dropping $22k on a rig, it should be a point, apply gas, move over obstacle rig -- definitely not "tippy" because the coils are too short. The guys that would drop that kind of coin on a rig, rather than build it themselves for less are likely not to have the best set of off-road skills... you're kindof the exception, Mike. You had few skills, and an under equipped rig, and just kept breaking them until you (1) figured out how to do it without stepping on the skinny pedal and (2) figured out what actually adds value to a rig, as opposed to just 4xbling.

not sure why I'm ragging on a rig I actually like, but who the f#$& runs spider 9's with 35" tires? In a willy's that probably tips the scales at 2500lbs?? D44's with good joints would hold just fine under that setup, with regular old lockers, not "sensing" ARBs, and save several thousand dollars in the process.... /rant.

I want a willy's. ;)

Took a look under the rig today and its beat to shit. One of the legs on the pass. Side slider is folded. Axles are shiny on the bottom and my breaks are acting funky and making noises on the 44. Broke a tail light. The most odd thing is at highway speeds it gets hotter then I like. May have some fixing to fo on the rig the next few weeks.

Back