• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fan OverRide Switch

Jeepxj94

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I'm about to install a Trans cooler, thermostatic control valve and trans temp gauge. The Trans Cooler will be mounted on the Eletric Fan side. What I want to do is be able to turn the Electric Fan on whenever I want and when not in that mode have it in normal operation.

Anybody know of any great write ups??

Thanks in Advance!

- Scott

P.S. XJ is a 1994 Country.

Get yourself a two-position on-on switch. You should have three terminals on the back.

Cut the power wire going into the fan,
Terminate the chassis side on the center (unswitched) contact.
Terminate the fan side on one of the other contacts.
Terminate your constant 12V on the remaining contact.

One postion of the switch is now normal, the other is now always on.

You will have to splice in wire, or the switch will be right in the engine bay.

I don't see that there is a difference....
1) tap into the 12 v wire at the electric fan. run 10/12ga wire to a relay, attach to pin 87.
2) Run 10 ga wire from pin 30 to battery.
3) Run ga wire of your choice (say 16/18 ga) from switched 12v source to pin 85 or 86 of relay.
4) Run similiar sized 16/18 ga wire from ground to your new switch, then from switch to the unused 85 or 86.
Done!
When you turn on the switch the relay passes 12V B+ to the fan and it runs. When you turn switch off, fan waits for factory signal path to send 12V to fan and it runs.

DaffyXJ said:
I don't see that there is a difference....
1) tap into the 12 v wire at the electric fan. run 10/12ga wire to a relay, attach to pin 87.
2) Run 10 ga wire from pin 30 to battery.
3) Run ga wire of your choice (say 16/18 ga) from switched 12v source to pin 85 or 86 of relay.
4) Run similiar sized 16/18 ga wire from ground to your new switch, then from switch to the unused 85 or 86.
Done!
When you turn on the switch the relay passes 12V B+ to the fan and it runs. When you turn switch off, fan waits for factory signal path to send 12V to fan and it runs.

Oh sure take the safe route and use a relay.

Sounds like a job I got to do soon! Wait for parts to come in then begin.

Does it matter what switch I use in the interior? Just a 2 position switch is fine right? So I need 10/12 16/18 wire, a relay and a switch to get.

Thanks!!

-Scott

143shifters3sm.jpg

I use red guarded switches, 2 bucks from jc whitney or similiar place.

Back