• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Teardown & Rebuild (Lots of Pics)

Mesh

NAXJA Forum User
The kit I’m using is the ATP RM30 which contains friction, steels, gaskets, seals. I also had an ATSG manual to help me along the way; I wouldn’t attempt a rebuild without it. This is an ongoing project last time I pulled the engine and rebuilt the transfer case (Link) now it’s time for the transmission. Tools used for teardown; snap ring pliers, one pick, two regular screw drivers and a couple sockets. My projects have no budget and the reason for the rebuild is? Don’t care.

The AW4 needs servicing like every other transmission in the world it’s not a big deal like some may believe. There are a lot of parts, to keep it organized I put each clutch pack in a Ziploc bag and labeled it. When I put it back together I will take one out at a time clean it replace the parts and reassemble back in the case this way I’m only working with a handful of parts at a time. I’ll spend the next couple days cleaning parts and replacing clutch packs and try and keep you guys updated.

1TransStart.jpg

2TransValve.jpg

3TransNoValve.jpg

4TransLine.jpg

5TransEmpty.jpg

6TransPile.jpg

I didn't even think a brand new tranny would be that clean, much less one needing a rebuild.

X2 on subscribed!

:read:

Be careful you don't get any dirt in that clean transmission, LOL!

nice...i'm following this one, as I intend to do the same

Just realized from reading your engine thread that it has 230K on it....was the tranny that clean when you took it apart?

Stallacrew said:
So what happens from here?
Next clean case with solvent and blow off with compressed air to remove all particles. Then start with the last clutch pack compress remove snap ring remove old friction and steels again clean. then soak new friction plates in transmission fluid and reassemble pack. There is more to it I'll try and take some pictures.

UNCC_99XJ said:
Just realized from reading your engine thread that it has 230K on it....was the tranny that clean when you took it apart?
The external case was caked with oil and dirt I started cleaning it with a putty knife. The inside was covered with a black film pictures make it look 10x better. Also the external case needs to be clean before its opened if dirt gets inside and even if you do another cleaning it can cause problems.

So here is the transmission oil pump puller. My R&D team has been working on this tool for months. I didn’t make this tool so he said the deal is if you figure it out you can use it.

transoilpumppullermg5.jpg

Hopefully I don't have to work late all this week so I can get started.

Sorry about the delay. Finally finished a little more what I have left is one clutch pack, oil pump, valve body, and the overdrive support which the new o-rings are incorrect. I'm stuck until I get the right o-rings.

A couple things I ran into are the first-reverse brake pack did not fall within spec and had to add an extra steel to fix it. Two more packs were the same but I was able to swap some thicker steels to compensate.

Some more pics.

1transreassemblekitby3.jpg

2TransReassemble-Soak.jpg

3TransReassemble-Internal.jpg

4TransReassemble-Side.jpg

5TransReassemble-Pack.jpg

So from what you have seen so far, with the knowledge you gained from a book, is the rebuild all that hard? I sure as hell would try it if someone on here can do it themselves. Beats $1500 at the tranny place.

I had mine pulled during my engine swap and changed the filter, looked very complicated inside but somehow your pictures make it look easy. I suppose organization can be helpful.

Can't wait for a conclusion and some more pictures.

--Alex

Mesh said:
A couple things I ran into are the first-reverse brake pack did not fall within spec and had to add an extra steel to fix it. Two more packs were the same but I was able to swap some thicker steels to compensate.

Can you explain that in more detail? I assume the spec you mention is listed in the manual for the transmission. What would cause it not to fall with in spec? And does the rebuild kit come with extra steels to accommodate for such an event? Looking forward to seeing your progesss as I have a 42RE I need to rebuild.

Back