• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coil-overs to replace stock springs

Roll-over

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you who have converted to coilovers for your primary springs what setup did you use? What did you pay compared to a traditional lift/ replacement? What were the benifits/ drawbacks after the conversion?

converting to coil overs is a very involved surgery if you want to do it right.

I did this and cut my inner fender so the CO could be mounted into the engine compartment. I fabbed shock hoops that are braced to the inner fender and "frame" and tied the hoops together over the engine with a removable bar. I used sway-a-way racerunners (remote res) with 250/300# springs with 14" travel. I sit about 8" over stock in the front with 8.5" downtravel and 5.5" uptravel. In retrospect, 16" shocks could have fit without going up thru the hood.

Benefits: Last shock I will ever buy. Totally rebuildable and easy to fine tune. Very small amount of mounting space needed for the CO on the axle which was my primary need. My narrowed D60 left very little room for the coils and my steering was interfering with the coils.

Drawbacks: Be ready to fab.

My first two trips went very well. I have an anti-rock type sway bar, but don't think I am going to install it. I am very please with how it all works

SeanP

Back