• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring Creek May 2

Poofengle

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I and 5 others from the Colorado School of Mines all got together and planned to run red elephant/mill creek/bill moore lake trail system yesterday. But since none of us had run it from the red elephant side, we ended up getting lost in the maze of trails at the bottom. So, feeling like idiots, we just decided to run spring creek because we knew for sure where it was.

We had 2 xjs (I drive the red one), a heavily modified wrangler, an S-10, an xterra, and a relatively stock grand cherokee. Only the wrangler, the S-10 and I had lockers so we were hesitant about running spring creek, but it ended up going pretty well. Only the stock-ish grand cherokee had to turn around, and everybody else made it just fine.

So, enough talk. It's time for pictures!

Airing down & disconnecting
DSC00775.jpg

The wrangler coming up the 1st obstacle
DSC00779.jpg

Most of the group
DSC00780.jpg

My friend Justin (who I went to moab with) coming around the paint-eating rock
DSC00781.jpg

Me coming around the rock
DSC00785.jpg

Ha, in this picture I'm only on 2 wheels. My friend Brandon came up behind me and was rocking me up & down with just his hand
DSC00787.jpg

The other xj coming around the rock
DSC00789.jpg

The paint-eating rock almost made a meal of the grand cherokee
DSC00792.jpg

After going up the first obstacle, we got hungry so we decided to eat. As we were finishing up it started to lightly snow, and we decided to turn around because it was getting kind of late and we didn't want to come down the 1st obstacle when it was real wet

This is brandon coming down and around the rock at the bottom of the obstacle and doing a little wheelstand
DSC00799.jpg

Justin getting a tire in the air
DSC00802.jpg

I was the 2nd to last in the line, and in just that short time it started snowing real hard
DSC00805.jpg

It was real slick coming down the face (I slid nearly all the way down it)
DSC00810.jpg

Finally, when BJ came around the rock he had this massive wheelstand
DSC00830.jpg

Once we were all down, we headed back in the snow
DSC00831.jpg

Ok, just to clear it up...... you didn't actually run Spring Creek to the end - just up the entrance obstacle and back out right?

I'm wanting to know if there's still snow up around or past the rock garden.....

Yeah, we just ran the first portion of it. It wasn't too snowy at the time, but it was snowing pretty hard when we left so there might be something up there now

Ok, just to clear it up...... you didn't actually run Spring Creek to the end - just up the entrance obstacle and back out right?

I'm wanting to know if there's still snow up around or past the rock garden.....

Actually to clarify even more "the slab" as I have heard it been called or the 1st obstacle isn't even part of Spring Creek. Over the years people just run that as the 1st obstacle as it is the most difficult obstacle up in that area. The actually sign for the start of "Spring Creek" is a big metal cut out sign that has now fallen to the ground and is a ways up the road past the large open area and the "T" in the trail indicating to go right. :D
trail_marker.jpg

Last year Marc, Kstutz and my self got past the slab the actual 1st and 2nd obstacle and was snowed in right before the Rock Garden. That was May 17th. Went back up with Jawa, kstutz again, and Stump and made it all the way through and down Saxon June 13th. So more than likely it is still snowed in up there.

Last edited:
Maybe it is me or maybe the photo............ I would have driven over the socalled paint eating rock....... does not look all that big from my perspective...:wierd:

It's the perspective, from the top it looks pretty easy, but looking from the other side it's huge. It would definitely be a huge challenge to drive up it

I love challenges :D I will have to get some pics from my Yota drivin brother who snapped one of me going over a larger rock than that one appears to be! By the way, Nice lookin rig, what is your setup?

d30 front, ford 8.8 w/ARB rear, 8" skyjacker lift, 35" tires, custom rollcage built by previous owner, cb radio, and I've almost got everything I need to run onboard air

d30 front, ford 8.8 w/ARB rear, 8" skyjacker lift, 35" tires, custom rollcage built by previous owner, cb radio, and I've almost got everything I need to run onboard air

Nice :thumbup:

Maybe it is me or maybe the photo............ I would have driven over the socalled paint eating rock....... does not look all that big from my perspective...:wierd:

That rock is where Dutch flopped on his side with the old flat green fabbed XJ last year. The photos do not show the angels and degree of rise going up and off to the side.

.........then months later trying the slab again he rolled it bad and started the tearing off of the upper body project, eventual giving up on.........

Back