• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Forget 44s and 8.8s...lets talk Toyotas

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, dont want to do an 8.8 swap, and 44s are too damned expensive...buncha highway robbers...so a toyota axle is very good looking right now.

Here is what I have read/found out, so correct me where I am wrong, and add info where you can:

Find an axle from a 95.5 and up Toyota Tacoma 2wd. They are 5x4.5 bolt pattern, and the wms-wms is 60.75" and they are 30-spline.

The 2wd housing have 2 e-brake cables, similar to the 8.25 axle. By swapping the brake hardware from a 4wd axle, I can get rid of the one cable. The brakes are drums and are larger than 44 drums. I can't find the exact size, but I tihnk they are around 13". The metric lines are 10mm with a 1.00 thread and inverted flare, so adapters can be used for that.

I know I'll need to put new wheel studs in, and re-mount the spring perches. A 1310 adapter can be had also to mate the 3rd to a regular u-joint.

I know this is incomplete info, but I'll be getting more as the week goes on. If you have any other/more info, please weigh in and gimme your thoughts/opinions.

Thanks

Fergie

Hey fergie theres a place down here in phx that I was gonna get one from with the whole rear end costing only 250 and the damn things were brand new!!! They had a few choices on gears 4.10s were the highest they had available..I was gonna do a yota 8 till I came across a smoking deal on a 44 Its in and done and I love the thing...
let me know if ya need more info..
themud
:cheers:

You ned to change the studs because the Yota ones are metric, and your front 30 studs are american.

You dont want to have to worry about different lugs and such.

Fergie

Lincoln just helped me out a bunch witht some info on how to do it. Once I get mine finished, I'll get some pics up and a write-up.

Fergie

The e-lockers were an option on prerunner 2wd, and 4wds. If you look at the faq on pirate, they have a pretty comprehensive list.

One thing though. The Taco axles are the ones that are the correct wms-wms. They are the 8.4" not the common 8" axle that earlier vehicles had. You cannot interchange the thirds from 95.5 and up with 95.5 and older.

Fergie

Ok, here's what I know.

The Taco's came with 8"s as long as they had the e-locker, otherwise they were 8.4's, and both are approximately 60" wide.

All third gen. 4-runners have 8"s that are approximately 60" wide, some with e-lockers, some without.

Factory gear sets include 3.55, 3.73(3.55 and 3.73 I'm only 80% sure of), 4.10, 4.30, 4.56, and the rumored 4.88

As far as I knew the 2wd axles were 7.5"s and were 27 spline(or something less than 30).

It is not possible to redrill factory 8" shafts to 5x4.5 without serious machine work. It would be better to have alloy shafts custom made or use spacer/adaptors to achieve the 5x4.5 bolt pattern.

I do not know anything about Toy drums or Toy e-brakes as I converted my 8" to discs and don't currently have an e-brake.

You will need a driveshaft flange adaptor to convert the 8"'s third member flange to a u-joint style. This will cost around $20-30

You can get a disc brake kit from www.sky-manufacturing.com for a decent price. I used their brackets, monte-carlo calipers(caddy e-brake calipers without the e-brake) and Geo Tracker 4-door rotors. The sum total for the conversion cost me $150. This setup would be used when redrilling the shafts to 5x5.5 like I had done.

Any questions?

Ary

The way Lincoln explained it for his father's YJ was like this:

Find a 4.10 geared, e-locked Taco axle.
Cut off and remount the spring pads where they are suppossed to be for an XJ.
Use 88 Chevy 1/2T light duty rotors with 79-85 Caddy calipers and Sky bracket.

You can either turn the center indexing part of the shaft down, or turn the rotors out to fit over the shaft. The rotors from Sky are already like this.

Then you can redrill for the proper bolt pattern. One of the holes will overlap, so leave the stud in, and cut it until it is flush with the flange surface, that way there will be plenty of material to drill through. You can ream the holes for pressed in studs, or thread them for screw in type, just make sure you dont overdrill if you are going to ise the screw in type.

Redrill the rotors to the correct bp, and there you can let one of holes overlap without a problem. Then assemble the whoel thing and the stock e-brake cables will fit the new Caddy calipers.

TW can supply you with an adapter for the Toyota flange to a 1310 joint.

Again, this is allinformation that was given to me by Lincoln on his Dad's swap of a Yota axle into a YJ.

Fergie

Mcstiff said:
According to the faq on pirate; there is a 8", 30spline, 2wd housing and you can run a Taco E-locker dropout with it. :thumbup:
Not with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. E-lockers came in Prerunners and were all 6 lug.

An e-locker will not go into a standard Tacoma housing unless the standard cuts are made PLUS all of the stud holes need to be plugged and new ones drilled. The Tacoma third members do not share the same pattern as the older third memebers.

There is NOT a Taco axle that is 4.10, locked and 5x4.5 in a factory option.

Fergie

Just relaying what I was told by the toyota guys on PBB. The mods you talk about do not sound very involved (cutting, grinding, and welding) What I understand is that there is a 8" housing with 5x4.5 30 sp axles and, with some easy work, you can run a 8" E-locker dropout in it. Link to PBB FAQ

Fergie said:
There is NOT a Taco axle that is 4.10, locked and 5x4.5 in a factory option.

Fergie

how about 4.56?

also... anyone have any info on how to ID a fj80 to see if it has the e-locker option?

found one at a yard just a few minutes from the house.....

mississippi_xj said:
how about 4.56?

also... anyone have any info on how to ID a fj80 to see if it has the e-locker option?

found one at a yard just a few minutes from the house.....

You'll either need to find a 2x4 V6, swap 3rds, and add a Detroit/arb/lockright or you will need to find a 4x4 e-locker version, convert to discs, and redrill to 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.

HTH

Fergie

Back