• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pitman Arm Tie Rod End Boot Tears

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a dropped pitman arm for my 5.5 inch lift, I use the Currie Correctlynk heavy duty tie rod system. I habe fone thru three tie rod end rubber boots at the pitman arm in short order, they are tearing. It appears the boot hits the pitman arm at certain steering angles thus pinching the boot between the tie rod end and the pitman arm.

I think the solution would be to have a shallower depth tapered hole for the tie rod end on the pitman arm, so that the tie rod end will hang down further from the pitman arm. This will give more clearance between the boot and the arm.

I can think of two ways to achieve this...

1... machine away some of the pitman arm ie flycut the perpendicular surface to tapered hole of the pitman arm, maybe take off an eighth inch or so. This of course may weaken the pitman arm.

2... Install a tapered sleeve between the pitman arm and tierod end, such that it will lower the tierod end relative to the bottom of the pitman arm.

Does anyone know of a tapered sleeve for option 2 above?

Thank You

I suspect there is something not right about your set-up. I bought my 2000 new and lifted it within a couple weeks. I'm at 5.5" and ran the factory set-up for 18yrs without any problems, 2 yrs ago I put on the Correct-lync and it's been flawless. What trackbar do you run because a drop pitman arm is likely to cause bump-steer?

Since a drop pitman arm is almost never necessary at 5.5" of lift, would going back to stock pitman arm fix the pinched boot issue ?

Since a drop pitman arm is almost never necessary at 5.5" of lift, would going back to stock pitman arm fix the pinched boot issue ?

I dont know what stock drop is, my pitman arm measures roughly a 5 or 6 inch drop. But see in the photograph on the link that the boot appears to be evenly compressed when truck parked level, straight ahead tires.

Is my pitman arm too long a drop?

photos....
https://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f8/pitman-end-tierod-boot-tears-74229/#post1154183

Since we have very similar set-ups I'll try to get some pics later today. I do see one problem for sure with the pitman arm length. It also looks like the pitman arm is drilled to deep.

Not very good pics but my steering angles are perfect.
P1080668_zpsosedeceh.jpg

P1080669_zpsgjtqw2xe.jpg

P1080671_zpsqxzb6xka.jpg

P1080672_zps49dqa3xd.jpg

P1080673_zps5qlbcerl.jpg

Thank you for the photos!

It looks like you have a lot more space above the boot, not squished as much by pittman arm. The stud appears to stick out from the castle nuts a simular amount.

I wonder if my pitman arm is thicker in cross section along length of the tapered hole? Mine is 0.915 inches tall, i.e. depth of tapered hole. What is di insion of yours? I assume that is a Currie tierod end, right?

Maybe I need to remove material from the bottom of my Pittman arm?

Does amyone make a tapered sleeve so my tierod can stick out further?

You need to address the drop arm first, it look like it's at least 1" to long.

My pitman arm is a factory one, you've got the pivots points crossing over instead of being parallel which causes bump steer.

How long a drop arm is correct? What ill effects occur with the to long arm?

Drop pitman arm without a matching drop in the track bar means bumpsteer. This means that not only do your track bar and drag link fight each other when turning, they now also fight each other when the suspension cycles. This puts a lot of load on the components.

Take your picture of the front and throw it in MS Paint. Draw a straight line from the ends of both links and you'll see they're not at all parallel. Raise the pitman arm until they are parallel, probably with the stock one since that's what your trackbar mount was probably designed to be paired with.

Thanks both of you for the advice. My pittman arm I measured with a straight edge, it is six inches tall, outer face of gear hox end to outer face of tierod end. What is the stock pittman arm height, I can't seem to find it on the web, not even on retailers websites.

I got the track bar, tierod cross minimized as I could, it was way off when I bought it, handles much much better now. Good to know I can do more to get it better still.

Now for the squished boot.... What brand of stock pittman arm is used? Omix, Crown, Jeep dealer? I of course don't want to get another arm and find it too is bored to deep on the tierod taper.

Thanks both of you for the advice. My pittman arm I measured with a straight edge, it is six inches tall, outer face of gear hox end to outer face of tierod end. What is the stock pittman arm height, I can't seem to find it on the web, not even on retailers websites.

I got the track bar, tierod cross minimized as I could, it was way off when I bought it, handles much much better now. Good to know I can do more to get it better still.

Now for the squished boot.... What brand of stock pittman arm is used? Omix, Crown, Jeep dealer? I of course don't want to get another arm and find it too is bored to deep on the tierod taper.
Won't a standard arm have a more extreme angle making your boot problem worse?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Anyone able to tell what height a stock pittman arm is, and recommend a stock height arm that is correctly drilled for the taper? I am ready to buy pending this info.

Thanks!

I have had to use a torch on last two long time installed Pittman arms for removal. My local wrecker wont allow torches on site. Most at wrecker pittmam arms likely have been rusted in place by now. My pittman arm gets lots of antisieze.

Still would like to know which brand is good, which brand to avoid.

I have had to use a torch on last two long time installed Pittman arms for removal. My local wrecker wont allow torches on site. Most at wrecker pittmam arms likely have been rusted in place by now. My pittman arm gets lots of antisieze.

Still would like to know which brand is good, which brand to avoid.

My Jeep came from PA and sported a great 2-tone color scheme: Bright Jade Satin Metallic and Rust Orange. 3-4 turns on the puller, smack the collar of the pitman arm (where it connects to the steering box) with a 2.5lb mini sledge a couple of times. Repeat until it pops off.

Back