• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 Radiator Core support swap/ AC swap ,,, need info

AV8R TRANSPORT

NAXJA Forum User
First my question,
Can I easily swap a core support and the radiator and the A/C condenser from a 1990 Cherokee in the place of my originally equipped 1986 Cherokee core support/radiator and A/C condenser, that came with a Renault 2.1 Diesel? Or what year(s) would be best to search for?

Here is the rest of the story,,,,,and why,

I gotta have A/C !

I am just finishing up on my 3.3BT Cummins diesel swap.

I Took the 2.1 Renault diesel out and the Cummins is now in, and it is running.

What I want, is to add A/C to my Cherokee that was Originally a 1986 Renault diesel XJ without A/C. I mention this diesel info because it seems the original core support is unusually shaped. The radiator is set away from the core support and toward the firewall about an extra 5-6 inches. The set back toward the firewall is an all original, stamped metal design. It is my belief that they did this because the original 4 cylinder diesel was short and they simply wanted the fan close to the radiator.

Did the Cherokees that came with a V6 come with the same core support configuration as my Renault diesel?

I will post some pictures of my set up if needed soon,,it is not here with me now,,can't take pictues.

But to describe it, the core support, that it has now, bolts the core support in place about 6-8 inches in from the fenders on each side. Additionally it has a spot welded, vertical center brace that is in the area of the hood latch assembly.

Anyway,,

I want it to function as close possible to stock A/C as possible so I already have scavenged a complete dash and all of the hardware and lines and wiring etc, etc, from a 1987 Cherokee that had A/C and I am going to swap into place of my non A/C dash, soon.

Also, I do not want to go the route of an aftermarket under dash unit if I can avoid it.

I now have a chance to buy a radiator core support with radiator and a AC condenser (for 20 bucks for everything) from a 1990 Cherokee. The price is right if it will fit my 1986 fairly easily.

Back to the original question, Can I easily swap a core support and the radiator and the A/C condenser from a 1990 Cherokee in the place of my originally equipped 1986 Cherokee core support/radiator and A/C condenser, that came with a Renault 2.1 Diesel?

OR what year(s) should I be looking for to accomplish my goal?

Not the most exciting subject but I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and I figure someone knows all of the engine compartment variations inside and out.

Thanks much!

Last edited:
It sounds like it bolts up at the same place as my 90 cherokee core support. I just fixed the A/C on my xj and I don't remember there being a center support under the latch area but I'm about 5 hours away from my rig right now and can't check it.

Welcome aboard.

I have a couple of pics which show the relevant details, but my regular computer is in the shop. I have no software with which to resize them.

I will try to post them as they are for the sake of the discussion. The first pic shows the bit of a dog-leg that represents different sheet metal from that with which I am familiar. The second pic shows how the radiator is moved back, closer to the engine. I think it is that dog-leg that is going to drive the difference between what works gracefully and what does not.

DieselXJ10.JPG

DieselXJ15.JPG

As I feared, these are huge.

If someone can resize and repost I will delete these.

This may be the key point for your question:

With the change to the 4.0 engine, the engine bay of the Stage II Jeep XJ was changed in 1987, including small changes to the firewall, inner fenders and most significantly the front clip. This is one of the key facts that individuals who don't care for large levels of pain and expense should consider, and not make the mechanically dangerous assumption that a 4.0L should swap into a Stage I Cherokee. We at Novak have fielded many a sad call from people who have tried it hoping for a much easier conversion, further supporting one of our leading maxims, that "Jeep parts are often the hardest parts to swap into Jeeps."

That is from Novak's site, here: https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/xj_swap.htm

If no one else knows you might try contacting them.

Anak,
Thanks for the welcome, the pictures and the information.

I fear I am in for a large levels of pain and expense :), but that would not be unusual for me.

I tend to charge ahead and figure things out as I go.

Funny how those pictures of a factory diesel seem so familiar,,,,,

The Cummins is running and dependable now, but still along way to go for sure on the rest of the project.

Back