• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TwoWheelTalk

Well we could all go up and Mikey and I can slow you down together.

I dunno what your availability is. May 2-3 we are looking to camp and ride at chinawall area.

Depends on weather and potential plans with the family.. However I'd dig getting out this weekend for half a day or whatever somewhere.. I did just purchase a KLIM Traverse suit and need to get it dirty. It doesn't have any cred yet.

Planning a Saddle Sore/Bun Burner ride with a friend, anybody else want to join? FYI it involves riding 1500miles in a 36hr time limit.

I don't care what you ride as long as its plated and legal, and you can handle 1500 miles in 36hrs of clock time (not riding time).

I do eventually want to do the TAT so I'll be working up to that on the little TTR and then try to get a bike more appropriate to the task.

Went up Bunce School Road today to play around on the TTR. Had a blast. In fact I liked it so much I made the wife drive with the empty trailer and rode the little TTR all the way home. It's geared down pretty low so even with a 6spd it's running pretty high in the RPMs at 60mph. Still, she wasn't nearly as vibey as the 640 Enduro.

I just ran back and forth from the trailer unloading spot to the beginning of Iron Clads up to where I like to camp. Started going towards the gate for Camp Dick but ran into some snow. It was mostly dry down low though. I did find a few big puddles to splash through and then had a bit of an "Oh-Sh**" moment when coming a little fast into a turn and catching a tree root. I was able to get my foot down and kick the bike up before it could fall out from under me. I have no idea how I saved it but it was awesome. I also played around on one spot where it was really steep and loose, practicing creeping down the hill and then working back up it and trying to keep the rear tire from spinning too much while maintaining momentum.

Over all the bike worked really well for me. I am not lacking any power as I barely even went into 4th gear. The super low first gear was awesome for climbing that steep/loose hill. I will say the front brakes brings the suck. I tried bleeding it out and putting fresh fluid in it but its still really soft. That rear drum however works like a champ. She has no problem locking up the rear tire, but its easy to modulate being a simple mechanical linkage. Speaking of, even with my fat arse on it the bike weighs less than 500lbs and has a very long stopping distance. When coming home a light on HWY-66 turned on me and I wound up just sliding on the rear tire. No noise either, it just slid along. Its like there isn't enough weight to get the tires to grab. I think they're a little too hard of a compound for such a light bike. They did seem to work great in the dirt though, I have them set for 12psi and it seemed to work well.

I know the suspension on it is ancient and outdated like a MOFO, but for my slow arse it was working just fine. I was surprised at how fast I could run through some of the dips without having the bike get stupid or bottom out.

Today I need to figure out what type of oil it takes as the PO did tell me its due for a change so I'm going to source a new filter and some oil for it. After the ride home with the engine running hard (like 8000rpm) doing 60mph I'm sure I just finished off whatever life there was left in the oil.

I was overall very surprised and impressed with the little TTR. I know for extend road riding to/from trails I'm going to want something with a bit more motor and better gearing. A KLX250S or WR250R would be a lot better for the road while still being small and easy to keep in control on the dirt for me. I'm just going to keep at it with the little TTR though and then probably swap it out for a 450 bike in the next year or so.

I'm thinking DRZ400/KLX400SR, KTM 450 XCW, CRF450X, WR450, etx etc. I lean towards the KTM because I love me some orange koolaid, but I know the CRF and DRZ are extremely proven and capable. I think they really only lack in comparison to others of the class is they're older and only have a 5spd transmission. The KLX400SR is the exact same bike as the DRZ400E but a much prettier color.

Back