• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Finally got my 120amp alternator installed. Clearanced the brackets and the timing cover for the larger alternator to fit.

As I was putting it back together for the last time, the upper bolt on the aluminum bracket, went loose...oof I think the threads gave out on the block.

I just left it there. Need to keep an eye on it to make sure the bolt doesn't back out.

For now, there are plenty of bolts holding the alternator in.

Little blue threadlocker maybe?

Busted some.tires off the 2 SE wheels I've managed to acquire after installing some drop anchors in my garage for my cheap ass tire changer.

Now to prep the wheels and paint them then scrounge up 2 more.

d3f3648ce4302ecccfb5147e33b3f408.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Found the idler pulley squeaking when cold.* Also has some.wobble to it.* Ordered a new one

Was getting a gas smell and found a very small leak at the fuel pressure regulator. pulled it out and the original 25 year old orings finally gave up the ghost.* Im guessing our recent spat of cold weather finally did them in. Found an oring in my parts pile to replace the outer o ring which stopped the leak but didnt have the inner oring so my fuel system wont hold pressure when the engine is off. Ordered a new Delphi branded unit*

Changed oil 300 miles early cause i had the time.* Rotella T4 10w30 and a mopar filter.*

On the Jeep

Put a new spherical bearing and spring in the front drive shaft.

Put a new PL259 connector on my radio's coax

Installed caster adjustment shims on the lower control arms in an attempt to track down my front driveline vibes

Picked up my XJ from the shop today.

Sway bar/end links back on the front, redid the steering stabilizer, got an alignment.

Hasn't driven this good in years.

Installed a second NMO mount on the passenger side fender. Ran Coax though the AM/FM Antenna grommet and into the center console. It will be my secondary radio install spot, for temporarily installing CBs or another HAM radio for whatever reason. Ran power off of the power seat connector under the driver's seat.

Replaced power steering reservoir cap with a new one. The seal on the old one allowed a little bit of seepage.

Get the front suspension sorted out, now my rear speakers quit working.

Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Really hoping the head unit's output isn't shot.

Well that was an easy fix.

The head unit reset when my battery went out earlier this year. It defaults to front speakers only for bluetooth audio. Changed the settings, got my rear speakers back.

I guess the good news is my Jeep is driving so well now that I noticed the music wasn't right instead of being focused on every bump in the road and rattle from the suspension.

Went out to the garage 10 minutes early this morning and did a drain/refill on the T-case.

Added a fuse panel to connect my accessories to so I don't have a rat's nest going to the battery anymore.

Also added the ability to manually control the electric fan.

Replaced the LCAs with longer beefier ones. Also started the led headlight replacement. Just need to establish which wire to tap for the DRLs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a replacement relay in the mail last night, plugged it in and I've got manual control of the electric fan! Excited that I wired this up properly and didn't burn the Jeep down. I hate electrical.

In worse news I seem to be losing coolant. The reservoir was empty last week, I filled it, and now its near empty again. No puddles. I may have the 0331 head crack. Time to start looking for a head.

The coolant and tranny fluid got mixed. The radiator let the two fluids mix.

So I got the coolant pretty well done. Will need to replace the water pump and thermostat in the spring when I have better weather and time.

For now, I've been trying to flush the tranny fluid. It was nice and brown...

So I unhooked the return line that goes to the back of the tranny, then I ran that line to a 5 gallon bucket. Then, while the vehicle is running, I pour more tranny fluid in through the dip stick tube.

I've gone through about 6 gallons of tranny fluid so far. It's much better but still a tinge of "pink" Not sure how much more of this I have to do.

Every so often I will put the jeep in each of the gears to see if that will help...

I may now go and drive a around for a short trip and come back and then drain and flush again.

DANG :( been around XJ's for awhile... I think it's the first time I've heard of this. Maybe has happened and owner never realized... hope you can fix!!!

Got the timer circuit added to the e fan controller

Did some troubleshooting on the head. Can’t see coolant through the oil cap so that’s a good sign. Need to test the coolant next

Did some troubleshooting on the head. Can’t see coolant through the oil cap so that’s a good sign. Need to test the coolant next

Some times coolant can escape through the exhaust. Check to see if you have white smoke/vapor coming from the tailpipe.

Some times coolant can escape through the exhaust. Check to see if you have white smoke/vapor coming from the tailpipe.

None noticeable.

I may have just been legitimately low. Coolant level didn’t drop during the test drive yesterday.

Back