• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Essentially Off-Road said $1800 and up depending on the complexity. Tyler was considerably more than that. Both would be exo-cages.

Yes Ed, my sight line is mirror height. Being 6'6" is good for reaching stuff on the top shelf, but a little bit of a hindrance in a Cherokee!

Wow. Maybe I need to pick the bender up again!

Wow. Maybe I need to pick the bender up again!

Matt why not? There is a need for quality tube work. Dirk could use the expertise. I know my cage is a minimal cage but it was built around a body. I'd love to give you my thoughts on it but this is not something I'd type out....

Essentially Off-Road said $1800 and up depending on the complexity. Tyler was considerably more than that. Both would be exo-cages.

Yes Ed, my sight line is mirror height. Being 6'6" is good for reaching stuff on the top shelf, but a little bit of a hindrance in a Cherokee!

Have you checked out this?

http://shop-xo-fab-com.3dcartstores.com/XJ-Hybrid-DIY-Cage-Kit-_p_1759.html

That is a damn good deal IMO. If I lived near you I’d weld it up for the practice/experience for when I do one myself. Bolt in cages do not belong on the rocks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you checked out this?

http://shop-xo-fab-com.3dcartstores.com/XJ-Hybrid-DIY-Cage-Kit-_p_1759.html

That is a damn good deal IMO. If I lived near you I’d weld it up for the practice/experience for when I do one myself. Bolt in cages do not belong on the rocks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont agree on the bolt in cages thing. If you are talking about a rig not already rolled a bolt in cage would have kept that roof up there IMHO.

As for that cage. It's a good start. I'm not a fan of bends in the cross supports.

I installed my t-case drop, finally. That seems to have greatly improved my driveline vibe problems. I may not need an SYE, at least not anytime soon.

I also installed my steering stabilizer.

I think the t-case drop also may have solved my t-case popping out of 4 lo. It seems to stay in gear now. I'll keep monitoring this though.

My temp gauge reads well below 210. I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. I don't know if the engine is actually running that cold or if the gauge is just not reading correctly. The original owner did install a new T-stat prior to me buying it.

I just need to throw some recovery on and it will be ready for mild trails.

Needless to say, my Cherokee runs and drives better now than it did when I bought almost one year ago. Albeit does ride rough with the stiff RC suspension.

Anyway, it wouldn't stay running after I brought it home and now it's slowly turning into a dependable vehicle/weekend wheeler.

Drove to Florida Friday. Visited with family there and saw my nephew get sworn in as an attorney on Sunday. Drove home Monday.

Got the rust holes in my floor patched and started on adding some sound deadening. Carpet and headliner kits should be here tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get those in and have it all driveable again Friday

Put a new set of LED headlights in the 1994 XJ, a new starter in the '98 Grand, and a set of spark plugs in the 1995 Ford Ranger. I still haven't gotten the heater core done in the 1994 XJ or replaced the cracked exhaust manifold in the Grand.

We figured out last weekend that the MJ is not running right because of a fuel issue. Trying a 3rd fuel pump...... One Bosche, One Carter and now Carter number 2. :doh:

Good day today.

Decided I didn't want to spend the money on a body porta-puller if the engine wasn't going to run well, so instead I decided to get a compression tester and check cylinder compression.

All 6 were between 120-125, so no issues there, but I did find out that the #5 spark plug had been bent so that the "hook" was touching the point with no gap for spark, so that was an issue. I bent it back with a screwdriver and reinstalled and the truck ran a TON better.

Hoped in the Commander and made a run to Advanced and grabbed 6 brand new plugs and installed them. It's like a brand new truck. I drove it around the parking lot for about 20 minutes. 50* out, but froze my face with no windshield.

Very pleased with today's progress. Yet to do:

1. Fix windshield frame
2. Install windshield
3. Get new passenger seat (40% off at LKQ tomorrow)
4. Address suspension issues - currently popping and binding
5. Cage it
6. Drive the hell out of it on the trail

Hit up the LKQ today for their 40% off holiday special.

Picked up a passenger seat with bracket and trim for the XJ, a new radio aerial, a factory battery tie-down, and a hood prop.

Total damage was less than $25.00.

Feeling good about the last two days.

Went to NC and bought a 84 F150 4x4 with Glenn. Started rebuilding it Sunday.

Good day today.

Decided I didn't want to spend the money on a body porta-puller if the engine wasn't going to run well, so instead I decided to get a compression tester and check cylinder compression.

My offer still stands. If we can figure the logistics I have a porta-puller you're welcome to use as long as you need.

The way my Commander drinks gas, it's probably cheaper for me to just buy one than make a couple trips to West Tennessee!!

Appreciate the offer though...

Every two weeks I fire up the Cherokee and drive it around the parking lot for about 10 minutes. It turns out it’s not nearly as fun without a windshield when it is 35° and sleeting.

Back