• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cataclean?

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
2011 Crown Vic here with 305k miles, and today my engine light comes on. Scan at the local Advanced comes up with 4 codes on the cat converter. Guy says I need to get something called Cataclean and run it through the gas tank to correct the problem.

Is it worth doing this...will it make the engine run better or get better gas mileage?

Should I use Cataclean or some other product to get this done?

I'm assuming it threw a p0420 p0430? If it did then no, it probably needs new cats. Without the codes tho it's a crap shoot. I highly doubt this magical "cataclean" will fix anything.

Thanks for the info and sorry it took so long to get back. The check engine light went off but it came back on yesterday so I got the codes read again. Guy's machine read 4 codes but said they were all the same code...P0430.

I'm game for the lacquer thinner option I've been hearing about. I see low voc lacquer thinner for sale. Wonder if it matters which version you use?

It really won't matter which you use, none of them will clean your cats.

New cats is the answer.

You need to clean and condition the fuel so it does not degrade the cats. Fuel line magnets improve fuel economy and reduce emissions by aligning the fuel molecules before combustion.

You need to clean and condition the fuel so it does not degrade the cats. Fuel line magnets improve fuel economy and reduce emissions by aligning the fuel molecules before combustion.

Magnets? Seriously? I thought that was "snake oil".

I was hoping that was the case.

Back