• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calico Night Run June 8th 2018

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
Calico Night Run June 8th 2018 rematch of Saturday Oct. 22, 2016

What:

Yes this is the rematch; No this is NOT an official NAXJA run. Yes I finally got my Sliders on, which has been the hold-up. Don’t know that I care for them but I could be wrong. I will be running Odessa, Doran, and likely Phillips loop. I expect to hit the trail about 9:30 PM. The moon phase will be Waning Crescent so there won’t be much in the way of natural light. I would expect to be on the trails for four (4) to six (6) hours but that could vary.

Where and when to meet:
Original Tommy’s – 8:30 PM
2610 Fisher Blvd, Barstow, CA 9231
When you get off the freeway Tommy's is now hidden behind a Dickies BBQ

What to bring:
We will be eating dinner at Tommy’s (there are other options in the immediate area) so snacks and drinks to suit your taste. Anything else you would take on a difficult trail in the dark.

Rig / Gear
Rig: 33” tires
1 Locker helpful, a pair of limited slips should do the trick.
Undercarriage and body armor highly recommended.

Rattlesnakes:
This is the season and they are active.
Be aware they do not always rattle a warning prior to striking
Avoid wandering into the brush.
They are active in the evenings and after dark.

SAFETY:

1. Roll bar or factory installed hard top.
2. Adequate attachment points front and rear, i.e. tow hooks, receiver, etc. Tow balls are not permitted.
3. Tow strap or rope; without metal hooks (recommend rated at 2 times the vehicle weight).
4. Spare tire within close diameter of other tires
5. Jack capable of lifting your vehicle enough to change a tire; tools to change a tire.
6. First aid kit.
7. Fire extinguisher with gauge indicating good/full, appropriately stored.
8. Seat belts for all vehicle occupants.
9. Battery hold downs
10. Emergency brake, parking brake, line-lock or other redundant braking system.
11. Tools and spare parts as you think you may need them.

Recommendations:

1. Boots or sturdy shoes.
2. Flashlight(s)
3. Plenty of water or other nonalcoholic hydration.
4. Snacks and lunch.
5. Folding chair(s).
6. Dress in layers.
7. Windbreaker

I’ll try to make it. Depends on whether I can get my bump stops squared away and also on some work issues. Yes, I do work. Sometimes. Now is one of those times.

Oh and BTW. I never eat at Tommy’s . . . except every chance I get. So that there is a big plus in my book.

Last edited:
I think Calico is closer to hell than to high water (at least on a mid-summer day). But that night run sounds fun if it was closer...

Have fun, be safe!

Fire up your flashlights!

Barring some unforeseen eventuality, I expect to be there. Who else is in?
I take it you got your bump stops where you want them.

I'm pretty sure that my front ones are close enough. Definitely ought to be better than at SCF.

Not yet where I want them, but I have a plan. They should be good to go by Friday.

Just installed a TC skid this afternoon. Been living dangerously without one for way too long.

Planning to fab/bolt on a tank skid tomorrow. But I'll happily wheel without protection if i don't get it done

It'd be a nice touch if I could get my rock lights working again before Friday. For some unknown reason they were one of the casualties from last October. A ground maybe? Who knows?

Is Tommy's a reasonable place to air down? (I have no idea how far we'll be driving to the trail head from there.)

Back