• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

My weekend is Sunday Monday.

Anyway...

Went back to Falcon Auto and drained the fluid from the front and read diffs.
My mechanic checked the ring and pinions for wear and everything looked great.

We filled the diffs back up and he replace the oxygen sensors while I was there. I took my two universal oxygen sensors back to Oreily's. The OEM replacements were $10 cheaper than O'reily's Auto!

Went to NTB and had them check the alignment and rotate and balance the BFG's. It was out of alignment, slightly, and I had irregular tread wear on the inside of the front tires. NTB and my mechanic said the front shocks weren't keeping the tires from bouncing, so every other lug was wore more.

After the rotate and balance the Jeep is smooth again. I only noticed the vibs at low speed, as in coming to a stop.

I'm looking forward to seeing if I have the cyclical vibs at 70 and 80 mph.

I also filled up the tank so I can see if the new O2 sensors are going to get me up from 13 mpg to some magical mileage.

Shorty said:
I work weekends, but have the next two days off for my "weekend"
trimming wheel wels and making half doors is on the project board for the next two days. I'm hoping to get the wells cut first to save me some tire and then tackle the doors once I can get to them in the garage.

anyone got a spare left side mirror-- chrome for an '88?

hit the bone yard for hinges for my spare doors and managed to find some other stuff as well:

leather seats
factory fog light switch (still working)
left mirror
console cup holder

all for the paltry sum of $75.00!!!!

got the wells trimmed, got the doors cut, painted, and pin striped, got the seats installed, and still found time to take a few pics. Lemme know what you think of my "weekend" project.
019.jpg

before^
005-1.jpg

after^
004-2.jpg

006-1.jpg

We have such a crappy junk yard down here...everything's picked pretty clean before it even hits the lot :(

i really like the fenders! they look very clean and well done.
and i'm diggin' the leather seats! those would look good in my black XJ :)

...pictures to come, but i'm about 90% done with my tcase skid that i've been making/fabbing...

Spent this weekend actually driving the Jeep rather than working on it, which was very nice.

UNCC_99XJ said:
Spent this weekend actually driving the Jeep rather than working on it, which was very nice.
Show off...whats that like? Haha. Hopefully getting this heep out of the way will help get me motivated to finish mine.

Mr.Shrek said:
Show off...whats that like? Haha. Hopefully getting this heep out of the way will help get me motivated to finish mine.

Very nice actually.....as much as I like workin on the heep, I like driving it more.

Haven't quite got used to the ride of the new lift just yet...

rock sliders done, tcase skid done, CB installed...
...all in preperation for the crawl!

you gonna be there?

mcraindog said:
definatly jealous of the seats...i've been looking for the exact same thing...they are quite comfy
way too cozy-- I hadn't realized how worn out my other seats were!!

I took Sunday/Monday this week and got the spare non-disco D30 set up with 4.10:1 and new ball joints. New hubs and shafts are sitting on the shelf awaiting installation as well. I'm holding it 'til I find a Chry 8.25 w/4.10's to complete the set, but I'm a cheap SOB, so it may be a few weeks before something turns up in my price range. As it sits, I still owe the Jeep more than I've spent on it-- I've got $700.00 in it and USAA insurance paid me $1300.00 when some ditz backed into me in a parking lot!! My plans are to use the remaining $600.00 on it and use it as DD for a few more years as a free vehicle..... did I mention I'm a cheap SOB yet?
--Shorty

P.S. the F-bird in the first pic was free too, so I'm looking for someone with good insurance to back into me in that one too, if anyone is volunteering....

I also drove this weekend. We took a trip to central Texas, Bandera area.

Central_Texas_Trip.jpg

Central_Texas_Trip1.jpg

I worked on the Jeep Monday. Looks like there is a leak somewhere in the transfer case. Small leak just enough to get spots all over the back hatch.

Last edited:
When you're done, you can come help me fix mine too.....it's also leaking from the tcase...looks like the output seal.

UNCC_99XJ said:
When you're done, you can come help me fix mine too.....it's also leaking from the tcase...looks like the output seal.

Sure! Are you driving to my house, or me to yours? I supposed we could just both leak 1/2 to each.

I recently replaced the chain and like an idiot I reused my output seal, which btw is it the output or the input seal? lol It's the back of the T-case but it is what the drive shaft slides into. Anyway about a week after I replaced the chain I had a really heavy coating of oil on the back hatch.

I got a seal from a local OEM and replaced it in about an hour, if that. I ordered one online for about $14 shipped, the OEM was $34. Now I have two.

Mine isn't leaking around the output seal, it looks like it is coming from the front somewhere. I DUNNO. Replace that rear seal, it's easy.

You just need ATV and a metric socket set.

Halfway sounds good.....that puts us somewhere in what...Alabama? LOL

Yeah it doesn't look too hard at all....and it really only drips a few drops on the ground over night, when it wants to....and I can see a few drops on the rear hatch from that and/or my rear main which needs some attention too.

Just gotta find time between the jobs to work on it.

Was yours an actual seal? Mine almost looks like it's plain ole RTV....

UNCC_99XJ said:
Halfway sounds good.....that puts us somewhere in what...Alabama? LOL

Yeah it doesn't look too hard at all....and it really only drips a few drops on the ground over night, when it wants to....and I can see a few drops on the rear hatch from that and/or my rear main which needs some attention too.

Just gotta find time between the jobs to work on it.

Was yours an actual seal? Mine almost looks like it's plain ole RTV....

Yes it was...

jeep_tcase2.jpg

As you can see the center portion tore out along with the spring.

I had a drip recently, it turned out to be a notch missing from the "O" ring on the speedo sending unit.

Mudderoy said:
Yes it was...

jeep_tcase2.jpg

As you can see the center portion tore out along with the spring.

I had a drip recently, it turned out to be a notch missing from the "O" ring on the speedo sending unit.

Where did you get that o-ring from? I just went through that on my buddy's TJ, and the only place we could find it was the dealer for $7........$7 for a freakin o-ring! :eek:

UNCC_99XJ said:
Where did you get that o-ring from? I just went through that on my buddy's TJ, and the only place we could find it was the dealer for $7........$7 for a freakin o-ring! :eek:

Well it isn't an "O" ring. It's a NP242J transfer case seal. The rear drive shaft goes in it.

Wait, here is what the other one I bought says...
SEAL/REAR & OUTPUT SHAFT

I got this one from Crown.

Mudderoy said:
Well it isn't an "O" ring. It's a NP242J transfer case seal. The rear drive shaft goes in it.

Wait, here is what the other one I bought says...
SEAL/REAR & OUTPUT SHAFT

I got this one from Crown.

No I meant the little o-ring/seal/what have you that goes around the speed sensor...

UNCC_99XJ said:
No I meant the little o-ring/seal/what have you that goes around the speed sensor...

Ahhh ok. I didn't get one. I just moved it from the bottom to the top and put some silicon on it.

I can't believe they sell just the "O" ring. I figured you'd have to buy a new transfer case or something. lol

Back